Diver dead after accident in Lake Ontario near Oakville

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That is the problem, it should be up to the charter operator to ensure divers are qualified to do the dives. Aquaholic, I hope you get sued and shut down and possibly criminally charged.

Completely out of line. Unless you have some inside knowledge you would like to share with us. There are some divers who have every card padi makes but still are hardly qualified to dive in a pool (money hungry shops love to sell c-cards). Who are you to say that the dives done that day weren't for the charter operator to asses the diver's skills??? I am not saying that is what happened, but to throw out a statement like that, you should have something to back it up.

Training or skill level were not the direction the coroner was going in for cause of death back in September. The coroner was apparently investigating the dive shop that provided the victim's fills - NOT Eric or Aquaholic - for bad air. This has not been confirmed publicly and it has been very hush hush. However, many divers in Ontario are aware of it.

Uh...we are? First I've heard of it.

Training or skill level were not the direction the coroner was going in for cause of death back in September. The coroner was apparently investigating the dive shop that provided the victim's fills - NOT Eric or Aquaholic - for bad air. This has not been confirmed publicly and it has been very hush hush. However, many divers in Ontario are aware of it.

Jim, we don't have DM's here that go in the water unless there is a course going on. The typical charter takes you to the dive site and moors; gives a dive briefing if wanted; they often tell you a maximum time they need you back by, they supervise exits and entries, assisting if necessary, and they wait for your return. I don't know of any guided dives in Ontario, and divers usually get independent really fast as a result, if they can tolerate the conditions.

Ayisha it is obvious that you are attempting to start yet another rumour about a dive store. It is apparent you work or own a store and are useing this forum to spread crap about a local store. FYI the gases in all tanks seized by police were analyzed long long ago and this was not a cause of the incident.
Maybe we should talk about the incidents that occurred at your store....

Uh...we are? First I've heard of it.

Yes, I know many divers in Ontario who are aware of this info and several of the people involved in the police investigation. I could get much more specific, but I have chosen not to until the information is official.

Ayisha it is obvious that you are attempting to start yet another rumour about a dive store. It is apparent you work or own a store and are useing this forum to spread crap about a local store. FYI the gases in all tanks seized by police were analyzed long long ago and this was not a cause of the incident.
Maybe we should talk about the incidents that occurred at your store....

I certainly do not own a dive shop or any store and I do not work for any store. I am not even an Instructor or DM, etc. - simply a recreational diver. I have not mentioned the store that the coroner was in contact with about the suspected bad fill, so nope, not spreading crap about any particular store. Many of the divers in this thread do know me personally and I have been diving with several of them - so I'm certainly not a sock puppet either. Get your facts straight before starting rumours.

There are several areas of concern regarding this incident, and none of the players should be scott-free for violations in several areas. If you are so sure about the cause of this accident, then you should come forward rather than try to cloud the issues.

Ironic.....using your own words....

When people use phrases like "money hungry dive shops" in reference for their charging for products and services, I always give them the benefit of the doubt and assume that they work for free themselves. They probably turn down paychecks for fear that others will say something like, "Money hungry employees love to get paychecks."

I was talking specifically about one poster in this thread who made an ignorant comment. I have personally dove with several of him divemasters and instructors who simply should be sent back to open water because they clearly learned nothing while collecting all sorts of cards that represent them as qualified divers. I'm sorry, but divers who can't hold safety stops, shouldn't be dive masters and those who present them with a dm certificate are doing so out of hunger for money... or maybe they felt bad for them... I have no problem with making money, but I have a huge problem with shops selling cards instead of education. I am not generalizing dive shops by any means, I am talking about one specific one. You know who you are.

i can see all too easily how people thinking "it must have been the gas" because they don't want to think ill of the dead, and combine that with the M.E. routinely contacting the dive shop for gas analysis could turn into rumors flying...

"bad gas" is probably one of those accusations that you want to be a bit careful about throwing around, since the M.E. should be able to accurately determine that one (based on tox screen and on analyzing leftover gas), and if you damage the dive shop / fill stations business there is lawsuit possibility there...

i can see all too easily how people thinking "it must have been the gas" because they don't want to think ill of the dead, and combine that with the M.E. routinely contacting the dive shop for gas analysis could turn into rumors flying...

"bad gas" is probably one of those accusations that you want to be a bit careful about throwing around, since the M.E. should be able to accurately determine that one (based on tox screen and on analyzing leftover gas), and if you damage the dive shop / fill stations business there is lawsuit possibility there...

Good advice, especially as I just contacted the dive shop in question, who had mandatory gas tests from the M.E. as well as having regular tests done of their own accord. Their gas came out clean, as well as the remaining gas in the deceased's doubles.

Jim

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom