Diver dead after accident in Lake Ontario near Oakville

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ah shore du hoep thet that thair rehport iz kompruhensubl ahn punkchuatid propr like

i decided to say somthing when people here think they are the be all end in ontario diving , and your leaning scubasteve just shows you know nothing of the problem im done ...............

The only problem I have is not with the OUC's ability to report complete and professional information utilizing proper grammar and punctuation. It is with your desire to come into the thread, make every effort to "beat up on" the OUC without offering anything to back it up. You claim that they are crap and that you are super awesome but have offered nothing else. I am all for taking your side if you can support your libelous claims.......I somehow think that this can never happen.

Thanks for clarifying that Ayisha!

I would never disparage the OUC or any other volunteer organization for that matter.

I didn't think that the police or the coroner would share any information that was not already in the public record, with anyone not directly involved, until their investigation was complete.

Bob (Toronto)

The OUC was in contact with the police, coroner's office, etc. since this accident happened, as they are with all dive accidents in Ontario. Raimund or Brooke can fill you in on any cooperative efforts between the organizations.

The Coroner's Report and the investigation are complete, so we are just waiting now for the OUC report and recommendations, which will still be a while.

Quote (Originally by Ayisha)---
Training or skill level were not the direction the coroner was going in for cause of death back in September. The coroner was apparently investigating the dive shop that provided the victim's fills - NOT Eric or Aquaholic - for bad air. This has not been confirmed publicly and it has been very hush hush. However, many divers in Ontario are aware of it.
---End Quote---

The official OUC report is in. After you read it maam, perhaps an apology for all the bad information that you circulated.
An o2 seizure can happen to anyone.

http://www.underwatercouncil.com/do...of_ontario_scuba_diving_incidents_in_2010.pdf

From reading the report, it seemed to me that diver error played a pretty significant role in the incident. Based on the report, the diver had planned to dive to 130 ft with backgas of EANx 29, putting the max planned ppO2 at just over 1.4 ATA. However, the diver maxed out at 140 ft (with a ppO2 of over 1.5 ATA). Sure, anyone can experience a CNS oxygen hit, but pushing working ppO2 that high is certainly pushing the risk beyond what any recreational agency would teach to be the safe ppO2 limit. I typically don't plan dives with a working ppO2 of over 1.2 ATA myself.

This is assuming the OUC final report is relatively correct.

The report makes for an interesting read... although I'm a little perplexed by some of the terminology used... "rescue tank", "right and left bank tanks"... Strange wording for a dive organization.

All the same, it is a valuable conclusion and I hope that the report is widely circulated. It should also serve as a reminder to shops to carefully mix and test fills, and also why we should all have our own O2 testing units, so we can test right before diving. I once got a fill from a shop what was supposed to be 32 EANx and it was actually close to 70. It would have made for a short dive...

I suspect that the "decedent" must have been well aware of the risks of an elevated ppO2. What we will probably never know, is whether he intended to mix 29, or whether his mix was just "off" a little and he figured it was "close enough". It's also possible that the percentage increased as the tanks mixed thoroughly in the time between filling and diving.

Quote (Originally by Ayisha)---
Training or skill level were not the direction the coroner was going in for cause of death back in September. The coroner was apparently investigating the dive shop that provided the victim's fills - NOT Eric or Aquaholic - for bad air. This has not been confirmed publicly and it has been very hush hush. However, many divers in Ontario are aware of it.
---End Quote---

The official OUC report is in. After you read it maam, perhaps an apology for all the bad information that you circulated.
An o2 seizure can happen to anyone.

No, I do not need to apologize since that is exactly where the investigation was BACK IN SEPTEMBER 2010, as you quoted above (the quote you referred to was from 2010). The new OUC report even refers to it:

2011 OUC Report:
The dive shop tank filling system was reviewed and no concerns were identified. The decedent had filled his own tanks prior to the dive. Evaluation of gas samples submitted from the shop was satisfactory.

I stated that the coroner was *apparently* (again see quote above) investigating the dive shop, I did not mention the name of the shop, and it was investigated and cleared. That was current info at the time. Sorry if you didn't like it being mentioned.

Last edited by a moderator:
According to the final report he suffered a convulsion at a ppO2 of 1.49 bar and the duration of the dive was only 8 minutes. This is a surprise to me as my understanding is the CNS toxicity of oxygen is time dependent and the 1.4 limit is considered conservative. Some books list a safety limit of 1.6 bar.

Adam

According to the final report he suffered a convulsion at a ppO2 of 1.49 bar and the duration of the dive was only 8 minutes. This is a surprise to me as my understanding is the CNS toxicity of oxygen is time dependent and the 1.4 limit is considered conservative. Some books list a safety limit of 1.6 bar.

Adam

While I would agree that experiencing a CNS hit at a ppO2 of around 1.5 is not that common, you need to realize that there are many other factors that can come into play in addition to just the ppO2, and considering the ppO2 alone is really just a general guideline. There is a lot we still don't know about the mechanics involved in CNS toxicity, and given this and that there are still details about the dive that we do not know, experiencing a CNS hit at a level one may not normally expect is still quite possible.

Back
Top Bottom