DIR- Generic Diver attitude! Be careful, experienced divers...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FB_IMG_1700704918747.jpg

Years ago I was on a boat when another diver said something to the affect of "with all your tech gear I am surprised you didn't buy the best YY regs." The YY regs were the reg they were diving. Though a bit insulted, I just said I did not like a particular feature of that reg and left it at that.

At the same time, several times I have been asked about various bits on our rigs. Always happy to explain the method to our madness.

Unless it's a matter of life and death safety (in which case say what you've gotta say...) there's definitely no harm in simply responding to excessively confident yet inexperienced people with, "I've still got a lot to learn, but I appreciate your helping me to gain real life experience on the Dunning-Kruger effect as it relates to diving." :wink:

Same thing can go the other way. A new diver who is GUE (or whatever tech certification) telling me (with almost 5,000 dives and over 1,000 below 30 metres and 500 below 40 metres) that my setup etc is not suitable for a dive to 40 metres is not likely to be well accepted.

My $0.02. I see this a lot in a another community I frequent, rock climbing. I think humility is important in sports where mistakes can cause serious injury. Too often newbies are gung ho and speak when they should listen and experienced practitioners lose common sense as they get complacent in an activity they should be giving the seriousness it deserves.
So true. I was setting up a top rope climb with a 3-point equalized anchor on a 100’ pitch with a walk off at the top. I was teaching my kids how to climb. Another cocky climber saw me setting up and said “You know, when you get a bit more experience, you’ll only need one anchor point”.🙄

A few years ago I was on a dive boat sitting next to a guy with an utter abomination of a dive kit configuration. Kind of a twinset/doubles but with a hard 7 litre (55cf??) stage bolted to the side of the twinset -- looked like one of those Cousteau-style triple cylinder backmount rigs from the 50s/60s. To this he had a "slob-knob" remote manifold lead, and three recreational style regulator sets with console gauges. Regs, guages, crap everywhere.

It was utterly hideous. Seriously, WTF!

I said nothing, but jumped in before him and had a wonderful 2 hour solo deco dive to 41m/135ft as I had a twinset with 21/23 backgas plus two stages with 50% and 80%. Heard boats topside.

When I surfaced there were two lifeboats and a helicopter -- for a moment I thought my boat had sunk! Back on the boat I soon learned that he'd died.

So, for the people who've posted above, what should I have done?
1) Screamed and shouted at him for such a piss-poor ridiculous abomination of that rig?
2) Kept my council and done nothing?

This has somewhat haunted me ever since. It was absolutely and utterly his responsibility to bring the right kit, the right experience and the right training with him. If he needed a buddy, he should have brought one.

Was it my responsibility, along with the other 10 experienced independent divers on that boat to harangue that diver?

A lesson to learn is " Your business finishes at the end of your nose". Saves a lot of unwanted aggro! 👌
I generally do not care, but a month ago we were on Lookout Rock near Montreat and a man was placing his family group, about 6 or 7 women and kids, for a group photo. My inner perfectionist could not stand the itch to tell him he placed them in the worst way possible and gave a suggestion. He took it nicely, though.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom