Divemasters/Resorts making you flood and clear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jd950

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I read a comment in another thread that at Anthony's Key Resort they will make you jump in, flood or remove mask and clear it before letting you dive. Is this common? Anyone else have a problem with this?

Here is why I ask...I have no problem partially flooding, fully flooding, removing and replacing, etc. I typically have to clear my mask numerous times during a dive and have never had a problem with a full flood and clear. The problem is that after a good flooding, my eyes are itchy and sting a bit for about 15 minutes, even if I have closed my eyes. I think it happens when some salt water drips into my eyes form my forehead, or something. I can see and I can function, but I'm not having much fun.

The other thing, although less important, is that if I am certified, and haven't given someone reason to distrust my abilities, and I'm not trying to do something questionable without supervision/training (like getting certified in the caribbean then wanting to go out in a kelp forest or dive in limited visibility, or use my OW cert to play wreck diver) then I should not need to prove myself to dive ops and divemasters. That IS one of the points of certification and liability waivers, isn't it?

It will irritate me to have some divemaster make me flood my mask just before a dive I am paying for, and then be squinting and tearing for the first 15-20 minutes of my dive. If they require this then I think it should at least occur on their time and not mine. They can take me out and I'll jump in and flood my mask if it makes them happy, then they can take me back and we'll dive later, but the "skills" session should be on their time and their air and not the dive I'm paying for.

Does this mean if it takes me two breaths to clear and they think I should do it in one, they won't let me dive? What's next, remove and don scuba gear, do a CESA? Maybe I will need to demonstrate my ability with PADI tables?

And actually, as I re-read the post, the test involves something like jumping in and with regulator out of mouth flooding and clearing? Where does this come from?

Am I out of line here? Do I need to change my attitude? Or does Roatan pose some extra high entanglement risk where folks are often simultaneously getting their reg ripped out and their mask pulled off and need to be ready for it?

I understand that practicing skills is a good idea, and I suppose flooding and clearing for practice should be done every now and then anyway, but if so, I'll do it at the end of my dive, maybe just after a safety stop or something, or maybe on one of those unlmited shore dives some dive operators offer, rather than a dive I am paying for, but I think that is a call I should make.

So what do you think?

Cocoview requires mask flooding and reg remove/retrieve one per visit. With some of the divers out there, I can see why they want it done. If it were once per dive I would have some issue with doing it but IMO, a quick check on the first dive of the visit is not a big deal. Takes maybe 10 to 15 minutes off my first dive which is a shallow shore dive. The dive is going to be over an hour anyway so 10-15 minutes is no big deal.

I don't see a problem with this at all. As Herman said there are some out there who should not only have to do this but all of the skills. Due to the high incidences of less than optimal skills we encounter with divers trained elsewhere or those who are what I call underwater tourists(dive once or twice a year and only in warm clear water) we have had to start doing pool sessions with many people before allowing them to take advanced or specialty classes. This is for their protection as well as ours. If you are frequently clearing perhaps your mask does not fit properly and a new one is in order. With proper technique and a properly fitting mask it should take no more than a 1/4 breath to completely clear a fully flooded mask.
Also just because you are certified does not mean you know what you are doing. It means that someone took your money and gave you a card after some instruction. The resort does not know who certed you in all likelyhood and therefore yes, you have to prove to them you know what you are doing. If there are doubts about being able to then perhaps the quality of your instruction is where you need to look for the answers to your unease.

CoCo view and others have minimal dm supervision,as what most experienced divers may prefer.To have you do a dive off their beach on arrival and perform the simplest of skills should be no big deal.A simple mask clearing,hover and alternate air source use with your buddy is nothing.I prefer that they ask you to perform these skills.Many of us probably have been diving longer and have more dives than the DMs there and I have absolutely no problem performing these skills for them.It lets them know who they can trust and who they may have to watch out for.

I welcome checkout dives because:
It's another dive!

well JD just so you know your not alone - I'm with you on the full flood in salt water, burns, stings - yuck. Maybe they would allow the demo in the pool.

jd950:
I read a comment in another thread that at Anthony's Key Resort they will make you jump in, flood or remove mask and clear it before letting you dive. Is this common? Anyone else have a problem with this?
At the Bay Island Beach resort we had to do a partial flood/clear. Reg recovery and a fin pivot.

Since I did the clear and recovery in mid-water, I got to skip the fin pivot. LOL

and no, I don't have a problem with it. They (the DM's) just want an idea who is going to cause them grief during their stay.

Is the issue the salt water in your eyes, or perhaps sunscreen dripping into your eyes? If it's the sunscreen, a different brand may help. If it's the salt water, there's not much that can be done to help.

You may also want to ask them if you can demonstrate the skill in a hotel pool or something before going on the actual dive, explaining your issue and why you don't wish to detract from the dive experience unnecessarily.

CompuDude:
You may also want to ask them if you can demonstrate the skill in a hotel pool or something before going on the actual dive, explaining your issue and why you don't wish to detract from the dive experience unnecessarily.
Just tell them your issue and ask to do a partial flood.

They are not trying to ruin your vacation.

Back
Top Bottom