Divemasters/Resorts making you flood and clear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jd950:
I read a comment in another thread that at Anthony's Key Resort they will make you jump in, flood or remove mask and clear it before letting you dive. Is this common? Anyone else have a problem with this?

Here is why I ask...I have no problem partially flooding, fully flooding, removing and replacing, etc. I typically have to clear my mask numerous times during a dive and have never had a problem with a full flood and clear. The problem is that after a good flooding, my eyes are itchy and sting a bit for about 15 minutes, even if I have closed my eyes.
So what do you think?

I have the same problem with salt water stinging forever. I'm guessing they will do the check near the surface; try putting a bottle of eye drops in your BCD pocket, do the check first and then spend the next five to ten minutes rinsing your eyes with eye drops while the rest of the group is doing their checks. Or ask the captain to throw a bottle of fresh water to you and rinse with that. Have fun.

Ten years ago they were doing buoyancy checks at AKR. You got in the water before the boat left the dock on the first day of diving. As I was getting my OW certification on that trip, I thought it was a great idea. Still do.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom