Divemaster Training Changes Coming in June?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What BS!

No, you do NOT need college level science to learn the PADI science -- just the ability to do basic math and comprehend what you read.

Speaking of BS; Geography and Math Theory were not sciences at my colleges.

If you could "comprehend what you read," you might see that I never typed that anyone "needed college level science to learn the PADI science." I also never even typed that those without college science and physics experience will struggle with PADI DM. :shakehead:

Your opinion is that your college science background did nothing to help you but I am of the opinion that a DM candidate who has experience with college science classes, in any scientific field, will negotiate the science and physics portion of any DM cert better than someone with no college science class history. :idk:

I'm having trouble with those sections, simply because the PADI books are so poorly written. I wish there was a better resource to learn this stuff and yet stay on topic for the class.

I'm pretty shocked by your statement. One aspect of PADI that is most often applauded is the quality of their materials. I found the Encyclopedia of Recreational
Diving
to be quite good. Easy to read and understand. I'm not saying you're wrong, just that I'm surprised to hear you criticize their materials.

The NAUI Master Diver Manual is very good. Maybe you should give that a try. The NOAA Diving Manual is another good option as well.

2. requiring the IM - I'm torn - a DM needs certain parts of it to do the job - but not all of it. Requiring it makes sense, but only if offered in the same way instructors get it - once you buy it, you should get free updates when available. When I was a DM I purchased the IM, but when a new version became available I had to buy it again - ugh.

All PADI members - certified DMs and above - can download the new IM from the PADI Pros site, and any changes that occur. You need to buy it once, to get the decal during your DM training. It has also changed a lot. The IM now contains all the 'standards', including the ones for DM conducted programmes, and there is also now a 'Giude To Teaching', which needs to be purchased for an IDC - this contains all the recommended teaching methods etc.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom