Divemaster Training Changes Coming in June?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

An area that has puzzled me for some time now is how some of my prior instructors and DM's ever made it through the physics and physiology sections of their respective courses. I'd like to think that I'm fairly intelligent, but truly had to work hard at those two sections during my DM course. Yes, I scored perfect scores on those two exams, but I have also had several courses in physics and the sciences in college.

I noticed the DM Crew pack does not include the Wheel. It does mention purchase of the ERDPML. Which I have. So for current DMCs does the ERDPML replace the Wheel?

I just completed my DM course and we used the ERDPml.

An area that has puzzled me for some time now is how some of my prior instructors and DM's ever made it through the physics and physiology sections of their respective courses. I'd like to think that I'm fairly intelligent, but truly had to work hard at those two sections during my DM course. Yes, I scored perfect scores on those two exams, but I have also had several courses in physics and the sciences in college.
I'm having trouble with those sections, simply because the PADI books are so poorly written. I wish there was a better resource to learn this stuff and yet stay on topic for the class.

1. The wheel - it was phased out a while ago and is now replaced by the erdpml.
2. requiring the IM - I'm torn - a DM needs certain parts of it to do the job - but not all of it. Requiring it makes sense, but only if offered in the same way instructors get it - once you buy it, you should get free updates when available. When I was a DM I purchased the IM, but when a new version became available I had to buy it again - ugh.

I'm having trouble with those sections, simply because the PADI books are so poorly written. I wish there was a better resource to learn this stuff and yet stay on topic for the class.

AFAIHH, an attribute of the PADI modular system of training is purportedly the better designed manuals from a science of education point of view.

People without college science and physics experience should struggle.

Last edited:
I recently did the exams. There is a picture of the wheel on one page of the materials, but otherwise, it doesn't exist.

The test requires the use of the eDRP for a few questions. The shop had one available for me to use so I did not have to buy my own.

I recently did the exams. There is a picture of the wheel on one page of the materials, but otherwise, it doesn't exist.

The test requires the use of the eDRP for a few questions. The shop had one available for me to use so I did not have to buy my own.

People without college science and physics experience should struggle.
What BS!

For the record, my college science consisted of Geography (4 semester hours), Astronomy (3 semester hours), Biology (4 semester hours) and math theory (3 semester hours) -- all finished by my sophomore year, 1968! (And yes, I did have a year (?) of physics in high school -- 1965.)

I did my DM in 2007 so I think it is fair to say that my "science background" did NOTHING to help me.

I did not find the PADI DM science parts all that difficult. Hey, this is stuff that is really basic -- honest. Let's see, what ARE the issues?

a. Displacement -- OK, an object gets placed in water and it displaces "X" amount. "X" amount weighs "Y" since we know how much water weighs and it is simple math to multiply "X" times the amount water weighs (a factor that is given to you on the exam!). Since we also know how much the object weighs, it is a simple comparison -- does it weigh more than the amount it displaces or not?

b. Gas Expansion -- That you should have learned in OW (page 17 of Chapter One -- OW Manual). 33 FSW/10 m = 1 ATM/Bar. It is a very simple progression and one that should be known by anyone even remotely interested in diving -- 1 atm (surface) -- 100% of volume; 2 atm (33 FSW) -- 50%; 3 atm (66 FSW) 33%; and so on. Hey, "this ain't rocket surgery!"

Honestly, NONE of the Physics, Physiology, etc. is at a very high level and even a modicum of study should prepare someone who has basic diving knowledge and experience should find it easy.

No, you do NOT need college level science to learn the PADI science -- just the ability to do basic math and comprehend what you read.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom