Divemaster Training Changes Coming in June?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A lot of the changes can be found on pages 6-7 of this. Only other major change I'm privy to (finishing up my DM course this month) is the inclusion of the Instructor Manual as others have mentioned -- believe previously (we're already using the new crew pack for my class, so just repeating what I've heard) you just got a CD that only discussed DM-led programs.

Not sure if the "PADI Pro Logbook" is new in this crewpack or was included in the prior ones, but that might be new as well. And the hologram emblem thingy, of course.

There are a few minor changes to course content too. 'Buddy breathing' is now removed from the skill circuit (indeed, removed from all PADI courses), and has been replaced with AAS ascent. Although candidates still have to do the 'Equipment Exchange' whilst 'sharing a single air source'. Also, during the DM Conduted Programmes section of the course, DMTs have to, under supervision, conduct a DSD.

I completed my DM in Dec of 09 and had the older materials. During the training I found I kept referring to an extra Instr Manual that was handy.

Shortly afterwards I decided to move on to the Instr level and purchased the Instr crewpack and the new smaller Instr manual.

I've just completed my AI (10 May) and have been working as an active DM since the beginning of Jan '10.

I refer to all my materials often
and have completed 5 DSD, many many Scuba Refreshers and have DM'd 4 class/pool classes as well as 2 open water class trips.

Yes, the materials are pricey, but I have used them to good benefit.

The requirement by PADI that a canidate (DM or other) to have a basic set of up-to-date materials is not a bad thing. It ensures that each canidate has the necessary information to do the job when they acheive the certification and it ensures that they have the study material to pass the required testing. I actually found the Encyclopedia of Diving to be a pretty good book for someone who will be a dive leader in the recreational industry.

Also, if you want to play with the big boys in any industry, you have to buy the tools and pay the fee for the card weather it's getting a union carpenter card, a commercial truck drivers license or a degree in engineering. It's all the same so all these PADI pokes about paying more for the upgrade are really baisless.

Interesting...just out of curiosity:

I am amidst of my DM training, having completed most of the skills circuits, leading the required dives and 3 exams. I started all this a couple of months ago. B/c of scheduling of work and vacations, it does not look like I will complete the requirements by June 1st. Does this new requirement mean that I will have to pay for some new sticker to go on my application, even though I already purchased the crew pack that was current when I started? :confused:

No problem, just want to know so I can discuss with my Instructor. Thanks!

I just got my DM crew pack last weekend -- It had an instructor manual and the hologram decal you need for your application.

My LDS is always first in line when it comes to using the very latest PADI materials.

I don't see anything wrong with PADI (or other agencies) requiring dive masters to have the latest training materials to help them with educating new divers. If you don't want to be up to date with the training from an agency... why are you becoming a dive master?

Of course it's best to be as current as possible. We started in the Fall, but through no fault of ours, winter came and opportunities to finish up (ei. charter) disappeared. So we'll finish soon, but maybe not until June, thus we would be required to buy the new Instructor Manual, etc. Hopefully, we can get around that and finish sooner so we don't need the decal. As we have already paid the full course price, this is simply a matter of money.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom