DiveMaster or instructor salary

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DomaNitrogen

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi....

Just wondering what would an average DM or instructor salary per month in Florida?

The average contractor price for DM's is $50 per trip. Instructors are paid according to the class being taught and the number of students in the class, but usually averages around $100 per class.

It would be best to get hired on full time with a shop so that you get paid even if you're not guiding or instructing. Of course that would require you do other activities around the shop.

Hope this helps.

Good Diving,

The DM's I know work for tips only, which also explains why I don't know any full time DM's! Obviously I don't know every DM in Florida, or every dive operation in Florida, so I'm not necessarily saying that's how it always goes. If you are thinking of going this route, and have an idea what area or shop you'd like to work at, I'd say start asking questions. I doubt any DM's or Instructors are going to reveal every detail of their income to a stranger or potential customer/student, but they can certainly give you an idea. Maybe you can tell them an income figure you have in mind and gauge their reaction. If they start lauhing hysterically, chances are you won't earn that amount of money... I would also keep in mind that, unless you do as Capt Gary suggests and get hired full time, your income is going to come in spurts. I have a friend who is an Instructor. In years past, he made out great in summer but not as well in Winter. He saved some of his summer money to get through Winter and was OK and ultimately likely made more each year than he would have if he was hired full time. This year, with the economy how it is, he didn't even have a good summer so he's a little apprehensive on how Winter may go for him. I'm not trying to scare you away from this (I'm considering getting into it myself), I'm just trying to give you a cold fact about it that I'm aware of.

This area it is for tips. YOu get a free boat ride and your tanks are normally provided by the OP.

SO lets say you have a boat of ten divers at the normal rate of $5.00 a tank tip. This is $100.00

You should have at least ONE dry mate. So if the Captain is the owner and does not dip the tips then you get $50.00 if the Captain is cut in you get around $30.00.

SO HERE is what you get.

LOTS of diving for free.
Gas money to the boat.
A Great Tan.
Pick of the chicks on the boat.

If you come up with a full time DM pay the bills plan PLEASE PLEASE send it to me.

PS-- I think if you had a free pool to work from. Hustled. Work as a independant. You could do okay as a instructor but not great.

I am also a Five Rated NRA and FDLE firearms instructor. When I did it very seriously I never made any real profits to consider doing it full time.

Check into the theme parks and aquariums. They hire divemasters full time. I don't think you could make any good money. One of the local ones in Tampa pays $9.50 an hour. Not enough for me by any means but I guess it depends on what your used to making.

You won't get rich in the Scuba industry. They say the only way to make a million is to start with 2. For some reason getting paid well for things you enjoy doing still doesn't happen to the average person.
As for me I enjoy diving far to much to become either a DM or Instuctor.

You won't get rich in the Scuba industry. They say the only way to make a million is to start with 2. For some reason getting paid well for things you enjoy doing still doesn't happen to the average person.
As for me I enjoy diving far to much to become either a DM or Instuctor.
So true

Making your hobby work, makes it, well, work

The DM's who guide dives in Palm Beach County work hard for the few dollars they earn, and the "free" dives they get, as well as discounts on equipment really does not go far - and remember, not every diver tips.

the "free" dives they get, as well as discounts on equipment really does not go far

I spend as much as I make on diving so, for me so far it's been a net zero, but at least I don't go in the red with my diving addiction. So the wife approves it :D

and remember, not every diver tips.

While this sux, I don't expect every diver on a trip to tip me. There are some people who hardly need any help/assistance from me so I don't expect them to give me anything more than a thank you, if that! They are basically paying for a boat ride.
What gets me is the guy who needs you to fix his gf's gear, asks lots of questions, eats all your post-dive fruit and then gives you a pad on the back on his way out.:shakehead:

Working the boat is not very profitable... guiding and refreshers are more fun and profitable. IMHO

Wiz

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom