divelog: Monastery South, Breakwater 7/15

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pterantula

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I apologize that this is long-winded, just wanted to relate conditions, sights & observations....

Hit South Monastery (Monastery South?) this morning, amid reports of reasonable vis holding out while the more northerly Monterey Bay was hit with a plankton bloom.
The air was cool, with a little sun but a massive fog cloud moving in (around 10a?); surf was low and easy, we walked right in with fins on. A little surge, wimpy by Monastery standards. At around 40fsw around the rocks, water was cool but not "cold" (56F), and though light was dim under the kelp canopy, vis held at around 20ft?, +/-. Lots of fish (neato school of rockfish hovering motionless 20ft above our heads), massive starfish, and some big decorator crabs (very cool!). My first time at this cove, and man, so colorful and full of life; looking out at the perimeter of kelp, I just wanted build a little house right there.
As we came back out, I turned to remove a 20ft kelp frond that had hitched a ride, and when I turned back, no buddy. Gone. Vis outside the cove reduced to about 10-15ft or worse, and I was still inexorably tied to this strand. I surfaced and ended up making my first "kelp crawl" for about 50 yards toward my buddy. Fuuunnn....
I was a little low on air, so we made a surface swim toward the beach - still about 100 yards away. We swam on our backs for several minutes, when suddenly a large, dark form breached not 15ft from my right side (open water side). It happened so fast and unexpectedly, but it really did look like a dolphin. Two dolphins, actually. I called out to my buddy, who saw it too, and suggested we move quickly and swim right at the kelp's edge (hay, for what it's worth, it's about all you have...). He didn't tell me until we hit the shore that he also saw a fin in front of us, headed right for us - which was 99.999% likely another dolphin, but you know.... Not the most fun I've had swimming on oceantop. :wink:
When we settled on the beach and began to de-gear, we saw more dolphin splashes along the horizon, and a fellow diver mentioned that he's seen them here before, that it's not uncommon to see them this close. (Now, if only we could have met this guy before the dive....) So, I got to swim with dolphins, so yay me. :D (My buddy said there were otters out there while we swam back too, but I didn't see anything.) I then accidentally broke my mask's strap insert.

After lunch, I bought a new mask (no one had the exact strap insert for that mask) & we hit Breakwater/San Carlos Beach. A nice, easy fun afternoon dive. Crowded afternoon, but not too so. We dove pretty far out, maybe even as far as the boat channel beyond the pier?, but just stuck close to the bottom rocks to say hi to the fish and crabs. Vis was kinda crappy, about 10ft at its best point?, water thick like soup with crap (but I've been in worse), and since the sun decided to fully show that 52F water really started to hit home. Aside from that, Breakwater is becoming my most frequent spot - and on a so-so day it's still a fun, easy trek (the showers are a big plus :wink: ).

(PS - Allow me to mention here, that in spite of the tenor of the SB thread about purges, for my money, I do not like masks without purges. When clearing this new mask, it constantly sprayed water into my eyes. I tried everything for 30 minutes to see if I could avoid this, with very little success. And it did indeed fit; quite well, maybe better than my other mask. I want my masks to have a purge. But anyway.)

Its good to her conditions like that on the carmel side I was thinking of hitting the water tomarrow and from looking at the weather reports and your post looks like I should have a good dive. Thanks!

There have been two dolphins in the bay at Monastery every time I've stopped there (5 or 6 times) since mid May.

We went out last weekend to freedive with them and though we got pretty close (my wife saw them at the edge of visibility) we weren't able to actually dive with them.

Pretty cool even watching them from the shore.

Mark

mweitz:
There have been two dolphins in the bay at Monastery every time I've stopped there (5 or 6 times) since mid May.

We went out last weekend to freedive with them and though we got pretty close (my wife saw them at the edge of visibility) we weren't able to actually dive with them.

Pretty cool even watching them from the shore.

Mark

On Friday they were jumping clear out of the water off the center of the beach. They have come in quite close several times when kayaking there, but are always gone in a minute and it's never seemed worth it to hop in the water and try to spot them UW.

Brian

Now that I'm more aware, I cannot wait to go back and see if I can spot them; at the time, it was a little chilling to just see a fin pop up here & there while so far from shore....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom