DiveInn.com and Service/Warranty ?? (for Apeks regs)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I personally don't see much value in the warranty. My Aqualung, my brother's Oceanic, and my dive buddies Sherwood all were bought from local dive shops. Each had a warranty. Unlike the scubapro warranty NONE of them offer free replacement parts for life. Each reg was between $75-$100 to get overhauled. Each reg was less than 3 years old. And in each case the warranty didn't save me anything. My next reg will probably be from DiveInn, and my tanks too. Leisurepro and divers direct both had PST HP100 tanks for around $300 with shipping, my LDS quoted $425. If I'm buying 2 tanks and a new reg (Apeks TX100) I'm looking at a huge price difference. If the difference was just a little more, then I'd go local, but when the prices are that glaringly different, followed by the LDS saying there's no markup on their tanks, then they shouldn't mind me buying them somewhere else. Yes, I bought my $75 mask locally and saw it mail order for $45. Maybe the mail order companies will help the dive shops become more competitive, as it has in other industries. The people that are really hurt by protectionist attitudes are the consumers. When the US car makers began losing market share to cheap reliable Japanese imports, it forced the US car makers to improve quality and control cost - basically a win for the consumer who now gets a better product. That said, I would never try on a wetsuit at an LDS and then go buy it mail order - that's unethical to me. If the prices are close, I'll go through a local dive shop. I wouldn't be surprised if places like diveinn, divers discount, leisurepro, etc force less profitable dive stores out of business, and force others to diversify, like a LDS with a web site that you can order from.

Thx for the posts. I have been pondering this warranty question too long. I was think of buy a lesser reg from my LDS instead of the ATX50 DS4 because I can not afford to pay the prices. I am buying all my gear for the first time and its a big chunk of money to buy the right gear you can grow with. I live in the USA and I am going to buy from DIVEINN. I tried E-Bay for weeks to get stuff. EBAY prices s**K. There is only a $50 difference between EBAY and online. Granted you are buying used equipment with no history of its use. I dont want to put any local dive shops out of business but I think the manufactures should be able to work with them more, at least that is what I was told by one of the owners.

DiveINN, IMO, is a great place to buy your regs from. Just realize that you'll either have to service them yourself, or find someone to do it for you - and you'll be paying for the kits and the service.

JoelW:
I don't know that I would call SP USA. According to the info I received from DiveInn the manufacturers warranty is good, which I assume means in Europe.

In another thread I posted what Scubapro told me when I emailed them about this: in a nutshell, as long as you're the original owner and you buy from an authorized dealer (which I believe DiveInn is) their warranty is valid worldwide; I don't think it matters if you live in the US and DiveInn is in Spain and you buy an SP product via the internet. What you don't get if you buy from DiveInn is their free parts for life, which is a US-only freebie. Not the same as the warranty.

I have every reason to consider DiveInn. You know, I have complete faith in SP's/Aqualung's/Apeks's/Oceanic's/whoever's quality control and all that, and I rarely bother registering products I buy anyway. And for me, whether a warranty warrants (heh) the typical huge increase in price is questionable. Anyway, regardless of business practices I'm still rather partial to Scubapro's products, and DiveInn seems the best, most legit place so far to buy one online/cheap.

However, that Genesis GS2000 that Scubatoys has still looks awfully tempting. Maybe with the money I save I'll buy both. :)

cheers

Billy S.

This thread is over 3 years old, so I'm not sure how good an idea it is to respond to those 3 year old posts :)

An intresting discussion. Now I am just wonder why all the popular reg makers don't operate their own internet online store where customers worldwide can buy products or order a service/repair job? (price sturcture is one that I can think of but that can be fixed). Since they all currently have their own website for viewing/advertising their products, the online store would give them better utilization of the website.

Back
Top Bottom