DiveInn.com and Service/Warranty ?? (for Apeks regs)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Look at the prices of the BC's

The MARES Dragon Fly Airtrim goes for 799.00 here in the states, Diveinn is selling it for 430.00 US, and 31.00 US to ship it to me in Hawaii via DHL. That 340.00 dollars cheaper than I can get it for here. Even if i have to pay to send it back to them for repair or replace, the savings is quite alot. I agree about keeping LDS' in biz but damn, that's too much green to pass up. I check with the customs dept. and no duty is due as it is one item, less than 2 grand. Now if you ordered a couple then you might get stuck paying customs.

That's a new SOA BC and a new Reg for the price of just that BC here in the states? Worth considering in my book, warranty or not.

I think Apex regs are sold in the US under the `Zeagle` name. They are apparently the same, but just rebadged, so I would assume that anyone who services Zeagle regs, would be able to undertake Apex as well. Dive kit is one of the few things that are cheaper over here in the UK, especially Scubapro and DUI. On the downside, gas is about $4.00 a gallon ! I know which I would rather have the cheaper, and it`s not the dive kit.

I use DiveInn in Spain for most of my reg purchases. I buy quality equiptment and have yet to send something back for service. To be honest though, If I feel the need to send something out for service, it is not going to DiveInn becuase I cannot be there to see what is going on. DiveInn also sells rebuild kits for all Apeks lines they sell. Rebuilding is an extremly simple task to do and you know what they say "if you want it done right......."
I have recieved warranty cards that are stamped DiveInn on all my purchases.

Steve L....

Yes, Zeagle used to have an agreement to distribute the Apeks line of regs, but from what I know, they retained the Apeks logos. However, Zeagle did have a liscense to manufacture regs that were very similar to the Apeks design. Thus the close similarities between the Zeagle & Apeks regs (like the Apeks TX50 and the Zeagle Tech 50D). ( Warhammer & Mario please check to see if I spoke rightly about this).

However, the Apeks line is now distributed by SeaQuest. They are still the same excellent quality, but they are no longer available through the Zeagle dealers.

Wow.. are you guys kidding me... warranty schmorranty. I've worked in so many different "niche" industries from parachuting to Downhill Mountain Biking ($7,000 bicycle's) and I would say that less than 1% of buyers actually use a warranty. Furthermore, if you are on a vacation and something goes wrong... you are gonna pay whatever it takes to get the thing fixed and fixed NOW!!!

Ask youself this: What is the absolute worse case scenario?

You
A: ship it back to spain (would never even consider this)
B: take it to you LDS and have the thing fixed for what maybee 20-100$... and how often would you think you'd have to plop down that kind of chash for maitnence or repair?

AND.. we are all stooges. How often do you have your equipment serviced? Better yet.. how often do you REPLACE your equipment? I sure know I don't keep mine for very long because I want that NEW COOL THING THAT WORKS SO MUCH BETTER. Just like everyone else...

NOT TO OFTEN!!! Seems to me that the good ol' U.S.A. is getting screwed as usuall.. spending $500+ on a $250 piece of equipment... gottal love that 100% markup. Mailorder is the way to go.. O.K. I'm done..

Just my .02 ...

Guys, I think that we are looking for a problem where one doesn't exist.

Buy online if you want to. To get it serviced, take (your now nicely used, and not obviously new) it to your LDS, and say to the nice man (or lady)

'please service this'

DO NOT TELL THEM HOW MUCH YOU SAVED BUY BUYING ONLINE. They should service it like any other reg brought to them. the labour charges help pay their bills.

Now, if you have a waranty problem.... Take the reg to the nearest dealer and say 'Can you look at this I have a problem...' If they deliberatly ask for the waranty card give it to them (and if there was a fill in part, don't forget to fill it in and post it off as soon as you get the product).

Again, DO NOT TELL THEM HOW MUCH YOU SAVED BUY BUYING ONLINE. They should treat it like any other reg brought into them.

I have kit that has been bought in germany, france, the UK and Denmark (each country has their own importer etc.., just like importing to the US). Never have I had a problem servicing (or waranty wise) with kit.

Jon T

I think the bigger issue is the fact that the manufactures are going to put the LDS's out of business by requiring that they not sell below list price.

I also think that it is rediculous the manufactures do not honor the warrenty if you purchase their product on-line. Can you thank of any other industry with this policy.

Just the NSHO of a network engineer.

Chad

Originally posted by ckharlan66
I also think that it is rediculous the manufactures do not honor the warrenty if you purchase their product on-line. Can you thank of any other industry with this policy.

Chad,

I don't know of ANYBODY that has had warrenty work refused on diving gear irrespective of where the gear was bought. I think that people are making this into a bigger problem than it is. There might be a problem with equipment that is grey market (ie leisure-pro type scratched off serial numbers) but the issue here is genuine dealer bought goods.

At the end of the day, a if a product needs waranty work, the dealer does it, gets parts from the manufacturer, or their importer, and then the final bill is passed back to the manufacturer. Importers don't usually cover warranty, they pass this back to the manufacturer.

A non problem, unless of course you buy something that isn't normally imported.

Jon T

[There might be a problem with equipment that is grey market (ie leisure-pro type scratched off serial numbers) but the issue here is genuine dealer bought goods.]

Jon T [/B][/QUOTE]

So are you saying that Leisure Pro scratches off the serial numbers on gear they sell?

Originally posted by GP

So are you saying that Leisure Pro scratches off the serial numbers on gear they sell?

There have been numerous first hand reports here and on rec.scuba of equipment arriving without serial numbers from leisure-pro.

They openly admit that some equipment comes with their warranty only and not the manufacturers. Doesn't this by itself start ringing alarm bells that something isn't right with the goods they sell? Equally they sell gear that they are not official dealers for, so they can't buy genuine from the manufacturer/importer goods.

Now, personally, I have no experience with them, but their reputation proceeds them...... I am just reporting their reputation.

Jon T

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom