DiveInn.com and Service/Warranty ?? (for Apeks regs)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Originally posted by kcbdiver
Should you decide to buy the reg from diveinn.com, I will tell you that your LDS will ask for a warranty card which may or may not be in the package. If the warranty card is missing, you are looking at at least $60 in labor and repair parts. If you do get a warranty card (which is unlikely) what dive shop name is going to be on it? Wouldn't it look funny if you are in the U.S. and you purchased your equipment abroad? For many this is an unrealistic idea. LDS's aren't that dumb! The warranty is null and void unless you buy from an authorized dealer. Should you then choose not to have the gear serviced because of cost, you will be playing with you life. Glad I don't have to make that choice!

Okay, let's look at it this way: What if I took a vacation to Spain, and while I was in Spain (or where ever, for that matter), and I purchased equipment over the counter from the same retailer that sells mail order. If I get a warranty card (which I probably won't) when I order it mail order, how does the LDS know whether it was shipped in the mail or picked up in Spain? Am I going to be PUNISHED by the LDS because I did not buy it from THEM ???? Seems like a pretty crappy situation.

I just paid 95 bucks for a new mask from my LDS, which I could have gotten at Leisure-Pro for $37.95 !! Do I feel like I did a 'good' thing by supporting my local dive shop? I guess so. But do I feel like an idiot for paying 237% more than I had to? Absolutely ...

For whatever it is worth to the discussion, last week I received an Uwatec digital pressure gauge from DiveInn. It arrived in four days, the service was excellent and the warranty card was filled out.

JoelW

I don't know that I would call SP USA. According to the info I received from DiveInn the manufacturers warranty is good, which I assume means in Europe. They supposedly have a store as well, which means at least some of what they sell is across the counter. Okay, if I have a problem in the next year I send it back to Spain. I still have an analog SPG I can use. I bought the digital because I do most of my diving with a guy from Scotland. His gauges are all metric. It is a hassle to do the conversion from psi to bar when I want to just watch the fish. I set the gauge to bar and we compare apples to apples. If I dive with people using imperial guages I set it to that.

The thing about the manufacturers warranty is that it is only good for a year anyway. If the gauge makes it a year without any trouble and then craps out it won't matter who I bought it from. In short, getting twisted about the warranty limitations is justified only when the warranty is significant. For the gauge it is not.

I am sure that if I went to any of the local charities I help subsidize a year after selling me a piece of equipment with a one year warranty, they would feel bad for me the whole time that they are writing the charge slip for the repair.

JoelW

Large_Diver

The article is not in front of me at the moment. I will get back to you tomorrow.

JShimmer

Your local dive shop is not trying to "punish" you. They sign an authorized dealer agreement that prohibits them from advertising below the suggested retail price. It's not their fault.

By the way, I investigated diveinn.com, and could not find a legitimate warranty information page. They said that they will service you equipment for a "small fee", but did not explain further. I e-mailed them to ask if it was a manufacturer's warranty or an alternative plan. I will let you know the results.

JoelW,

You didn't say how much the pressure gauge was? Pressure gauges have a two year limited warranty (according to most manufacturers) and they offen last longer than that. Sorry, I'm just curious.

Thanks!

Kate,

According to the instuction book:

Warranty period and claim

The warranty is given by a period of 12 months. Repairs and replacements during the warranty persiod do not increase the warranty period. In order to put forward a warranty claim, send the unit together with a dated receipt of the purchase to your authorized retailer or an authorised servicing point. The manufacturer is not obligated to accept extensions of the warranty granted by national importers.

The unit was $128 +$7 shipping.

And don't take my buying items online as a sign that I don't deal with local shops at all. In the last four weeks I purchased a 3/5/3 wetsuit, a 4mm hooded vest and a Cobra Kayak from one my favorite charities.

JoelW

Originally posted by kcbdiver
JShimmer
By the way, I investigated diveinn.com, and could not find a legitimate warranty information page. They said that they will service you equipment for a "small fee", but did not explain further. I e-mailed them to ask if it was a manufacturer's warranty or an alternative plan. I will let you know the results.

I emailed DiveINN and asked about warranties (who/what), shipping to/from for warranty work, as well as (yearly) servicing of the equipment. Here was a reply from one of their representatives:

1. WARRANTIES: We ship all equipment with manuals and warranties provided by the manufacturers.
Independently of the manufacturers warranty, DiveINN will always guarantee the equipment for the same time as the manufacturer does. In this time we will repair or exchange any product as soon as we receive it.
Although most brandnames give an International Warranty we believe it's unethical that we sell the product and leave local stores with possible warranty claims. Therefore in case of problems just send us a email and we will arrange a pickup on our cost to have your product repaired or replaced within days.

Sounds pretty cut and dry to me. You get the MFG warranty AND their warranty, and they cover the costs to ship back and forth for any warranty work. Servicing - ship it to them and they'll charge you just like any other dive shop would -- it's shipping costs vs. gas to drive back and forth to the LDS to drop it off and pick it up.

I feel pretty confident with DiveINN. I'm ordering my Apeks TX50 reg + TX40 octo this evening ... :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom