Dive with Martin?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Christi,

No offense taken at all! I know I'm new and I have A LOT to learn. As a dive operator, I appreciate the fact that you care enough about divers to say that. If things don't work out with Dive with Martin, you're the first dive op I'm contacting.

Christi:
You're going to have a great time! Since you've drift dove before, that's half the battle, so I think you'll be just fine :)

Just for clarification, I was not being insulting at all by telling you to make sure they are well aware of your level. I hope you didn't take it that way. Many people are not up front or assume the dive op will know about their level and they end up on the wrong boat, and I just wanted to make sure you didn't end up in that situation.

Becky is right, the backroll is also half the fun!

Aren't DWM's boats bigger? Do you backroll off those boats? I recall being on our dock and they seemed bigger then yours?

Also, Ive read a lot of good things about DWM, but I swear I've read plenty of bad too...Dont remember what I saw or where...

ditto on requesting Orlando, he's one of our favorites also, we also really like David he's probably the youngest of the DM's but really thourough and good at finding critters like Oralando, both are very good in and out of the water and both have a great sense of humor.

Don't worry about the back roll thing, it's a piece of cake, just fall backwards. the DM's will be very patient with you.

Also don't worry about being a "newbie", many people come to Coz to do thier final certifications, so as long as the dive op knows your level, everything will be cool.

have a great trip and happy diving!

I'll keep Orlando in mind when contacting them. Since our ship is in port 6am-4pm, I don't think we'll have a problem making their morning dive trip. Their location at the pier and early departure times are a big plus for us.

And being a newbie is a good thing in my mind. Others are so much more willing to share their stories and experiences when they realize you're new to the sport. We got a ton of great advice and stories from the other divers on our checkouts. And that makes the experience that much better!

Cozoholic:
Aren't DWM's boats bigger? Do you backroll off those boats? I recall being on our dock and they seemed bigger then yours?

Also, Ive read a lot of good things about DWM, but I swear I've read plenty of bad too...Dont remember what I saw or where...

To answer the bigger boat question, DWM has 4 or 5 boats that I've seen. I remember 3 small fast (twin 115 HP outboards) and one medium sized boat. The small ones were for 6 or 8 people max. I dove with Orlando last August and he was great. They did group divers in groups of similar experience, and tried hard to accommodate dive location requests. They're a good value dive op. I'm trying Christy at Blue XT Sea this time however, as I just like to check out different dive ops and because her reputation is impeccable. She responded very favorably to our requests also and that's not easy when I'm doing the asking!

You'll have fun,
Matt

tiggy:
My husband and I will be in Coz for one day this October. (Doing the sampler platter of the Western Caribbean.) I've gone through the reviews that I can find. They seem favorable, but I haven't seen too much that's recent.

We're interested in Dive with Martin because they're right on the pier where we dock, leave early (we get in at 6am), and have smaller boats. Both of us are new divers, if that influences your comments.

If you've used Dive with Martin recently, what was your opinion of them? Also, if at all possible, could you comment on their rental gear.

Thanks!

We have been using Dive With Martin for a few years now, most recently was two weeks ago ( yes, I still need to post a trip report) This trip we paid $240.00 each including Marine Park fees. Yes, that is a great price, but definitely not why we use them. His website shows $255 for the same deal plus Marine Park fees so that may be what he will charge, but he has always given us a discount, even the first time we used him ( if you pay cash). He has a good staff, friendly and helpful. You will be able to dive your computer. We usually request Orlando for our DM. With DWM we have been able to dive San Juan, Barracuda, Maracaibo, Devil's Throat and any other sites we requested with no problem. (he does not charge extra for those sites either). He picks us up at the hotel dock at 7:30 so we get to the reefs earlier than a lot of the other ops. His boats are nice, with twin 115s. You do the back roll entry off of them, but it isn't a problem and they will help you if you need it. The most we have ever had is 8 divers, usually less. He does supply fresh fruit and water, no parkas or towels like some of the other ops, but I don't think I would use that as a reason to choose one anyway. Most surface intervals are done on one of the beaches, Paradise, San Francisco...and if you want anything else to eat you can get it there. We use our own gear so I don't know much about the rental gear. He did get new BCs not long ago and I have seen a lot of people use his gear. We have had Pablo for our DM, too, and he is good. Martin has gone on the boat a couple of times, too. He is a funny guy....wears a thong and likes to frog kick so you may not (or may) want to be behind him :) Whoever you choose to dive with, let them know your skill level and HAVE FUN! Cozumel is awesome!!!!

My daughter and I just got back from a week long trip using DWM. We were impressed with the "hustle" the entire staff showed and their professionalism. Plus, they seemed to know all the spots where the cool critters hang out! Our fills were always 3,000 and my daughter got 3,800 a couple of times. They have fast boats and are very safety conscious. The gear they had that was new were the BC's and I didn't hear of any problems with them. We wouldn't hesitate to recommend them and plan to use them again in a few months.

Fin59:
We have been using Dive With Martin for a few years now, most recently was two weeks ago ( yes, I still need to post a trip report) This trip we paid $240.00 each including Marine Park fees. Yes, that is a great price, but definitely not why we use them. His website shows $255 for the same deal plus Marine Park fees so that may be what he will charge, but he has always given us a discount, even the first time we used him ( if you pay cash). He has a good staff, friendly and helpful. You will be able to dive your computer. We usually request Orlando for our DM. With DWM we have been able to dive San Juan, Barracuda, Maracaibo, Devil's Throat and any other sites we requested with no problem. (he does not charge extra for those sites either). He picks us up at the hotel dock at 7:30 so we get to the reefs earlier than a lot of the other ops. His boats are nice, with twin 115s. You do the back roll entry off of them, but it isn't a problem and they will help you if you need it. The most we have ever had is 8 divers, usually less. He does supply fresh fruit and water, no parkas or towels like some of the other ops, but I don't think I would use that as a reason to choose one anyway. Most surface intervals are done on one of the beaches, Paradise, San Francisco...and if you want anything else to eat you can get it there. We use our own gear so I don't know much about the rental gear. He did get new BCs not long ago and I have seen a lot of people use his gear. We have had Pablo for our DM, too, and he is good. Martin has gone on the boat a couple of times, too. He is a funny guy....wears a thong and likes to frog kick so you may not (or may) want to be behind him :) Whoever you choose to dive with, let them know your skill level and HAVE FUN! Cozumel is awesome!!!!

Sorry...I left this out in my post above. The $240.00 we paid was for 5 days/ 2 tanks, with a free video and night dive. That's what I get for being in a hurry posting this while I was at work! :wink:

Back
Top Bottom