Dive Valhalla Nuclear Missle Silo Oct. 11th/12th 2008

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Zinc

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Dive a Nuclear Missile Silo Oct 11 & 12th, 2008

Name: Valhalla Missile Silo
Skill Required: Intermediate-Advanced
Bottom Type: Silt
Water Temp: 60°F
Depth: 130 ft.
Visibility: 100+ ft.

Cost: $45 for divers, $25 for non-divers.

Camping overnight is allowed as many of us plan to do, or you may choose to stay in a hotel in Abilene.

Bring your own tanks or arrange for tanks through sponsoring dive shop. There are no fills on-site.

You may dive as much as you wish within your training limits and air supply.

Sponsoring Dive Shop:

Oak Hill Scuba

Phone:512-892-4900
Fax: 512-892-9494
Email: info@oakhillscuba.com
Call to the shop to reserve your spot! 512-892-4900
Calling to reserve your spot early will also help us with a firm head count, thanks.

Attachments

• mp-valhalla_1.jpg
    mp-valhalla_1.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 4,691
I’ve Dived and gone to Valhalla
by Mark A Hannifin, NAUI 16654L

Once upon a time, out in the rolling hills of the steamboat mountain range of West Texas near Abilene, the United States Air Force built twelve sturdy little structures in which they stored some very precious, but dangerous, items. Tucked safely away inside the very bowels of the earth, this little project, designed to be sturdy enough to withstand the blast and seismic activity that would accompany a nearby nuclear explosion was, fortunately, never put to the test and the government abandoned the whole project after just a few years. This precious and dangerous cargo was, of course, Atlas Intercontinental Ballistic Missiles (ICBMs) aimed at the USSR as part of our M.A.D. (Mutually Assured Destruction) deterrent during the cold war.

The missiles were removed and these hardened Missile Silos were eventually sold for salvage to the highest bidder.
Most were disassembled to varying degrees and most of the metal components sold for scrap. Nature has had its way with these structures over the years and some are partially or wholly flooded with groundwater that filters through the concrete walls over time.

The only safely diveable Atlas ‘F’ Hardened Missile Silo in existence is run by Family Scuba Center in Midland, Texas and is called ‘Dive Valhalla’. (Valhalla is from Norse Mythology and is the great hall of fallen heroes). The water is 60 degrees, 130’ deep and crystal clear. The silo is 60’ in diameter and everything from the dressing areas to the electric gear winch, lighting systems and the actual dive area is 50-70’ underground.

Dive a Nuclear Missile Silo Oct 11 & 12th, 2008

Name: Valhalla Missile Silo
Skill Required: Intermediate-Advanced
Bottom Type: Silt
Water Temp: 60°F
Depth: 130 ft.
Visibility: 100+ ft.

Cost: $45 for divers, $25 for non-divers.

Camping overnight is allowed as many of us plan to do, or you may choose to stay in a hotel in Abilene.

Bring your own tanks or arrange for tanks through sponsoring dive shop. There are no fills on-site.

You may dive as much as you wish within your training limits and air supply.

Sponsoring Dive Shop:

Oak Hill Scuba

Phone:512-892-4900
Fax: 512-892-9494
Email: info@oakhillscuba.com
Call to the shop to reserve your spot! 512-892-4900
Calling to reserve your spot early will also help us with a firm head count, thanks.

Any word if this is a go?
I have 4 definates, 2 probables, and 3 maybes....
I am putting 4 on my card.
Where is everyone?
Posting this in the trips is as good as killing it.

I talked to the shop and we need at least 6 more divers signed up and paid by Nov. 1st.

If you want to go, call the shop and sign up :D

Back
Top Bottom