Dive trip to east coast

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaSteve1962

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Planning a dive trip to the the West Palm Beach, Fort Lauderdale, Miami Beach Area. Since I'm traveling alone, would like someone that put guides in the water, and own their boats. Not looking for shore dives.

Most of the operators in Jupiter and West Palm Beach put a dive guide in the water. So does Scuba Kevin in Boynton Beach.

Here are some links to operators I use and like:

Jupiter Dive Center.

Scuba Diving Palm Beach, Florida :: Jim Abernethy's Scuba Adventures

Scuba Diving in the Palm Beach area - Walkers Dive Charters

http://www.thescubaclub.com/

http://www.narcosisdivecharters.com/

https://securec7.ezhostingserver.com/diveboyntonbeach-com/indexs.cfm

I go out with Jupiter Dive Center more than the others because I live close to the shop: but they all are good dive boats in my mind. Other SB'ers will likely weigh-in with their favorites as well.

My experience in Pompano, Ft Lauderdale, etc. is that you pay for a guide: no DM goes in the water as part of the base price. There might be exceptions, but I don't know any. I've never dove Miami. In the Keys, very few operators put a guide in the water, I know a few do, but I've not been out with any of them.

Note that Gold Coast Scuba in Lauderdale by the Sea plans lot of dives: mostly beach but also boat dives. You'll be able to hook up with a buddy via their meetup group so you might not need a guide: especially on the shallow reefs.
Gold Coast Scuba Divers (954) 616-5909 (Fort Lauderdale, FL) - Meetup

Enjoy your trip

While we haven't dove with all of those operators, I have never heard any bad reports. I would also like to recommend Sandy's Sunday in West Palm Beach as they are a smaller boat and always have a DM in the water on every dive. Very safe, a lot of fun to dive with, and know some great spots to show you.

And yes, Gold Coast Scuba is great with lots of dive buddies more than willing to show off the area :), and the shore dives are really nice!

DeAnn

Planning a dive trip to the the West Palm Beach, Fort Lauderdale, Miami Beach Area. Since I'm traveling alone, would like someone that put guides in the water, and own their boats. Not looking for shore dives.
I created an online magazine which showcases each kind of dive experience possible in all the different sub environments found in the Palm Beach reef system, as well as showcasing the best Dive Boats. Visit South Florida Dive Journal

Most of the Palm Beach boats will always drop a dive guide with a group...It would be your choice either to stay with the group following the dive guide, or to take your own float/flag and head off with a buddy on your own....since it is all drift diving, you all end up in pretty much the same area, and the boat comes to you to pick you up.

The largest differences will be in whether you want the shallow / pretty / long dives, or the deeper, bigger adventure, shorter dives.....this is the difference between going far south, or far north from the Lake Worth Inlet ( also called Palm Beach Inlet). Some boats will be more likely to do one or the other, particularly on the days you want to go...so this is something to check with them about.

There is a great 30 person boat, there are a bunch of great 20 diver boats, and there is a great 12 pack....You need to decide what type you prefer. All of the boats in South Florida Dive Journal have awesome crews and great reputations....if they are not in sfdj.com , there may be something going on with them that makes them un-desirable for some people--or for me....you might want to check in to that as well.

Hit up the local dive shops. they have hookups with reputable dive captains

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom