DIVE/TRAVEL INSURANCE OPTIONS besides DAN.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wording in any of these policies doesn't favor the insured party. As coverage varies by state, many responses to your post will be varied. It helps to know if someone is talking about their travel or dive insurance or some other special insurance. I was interested (or bored) so did a quick search of what I would have looked at if I wanted to know what I was covered for.

The California DAN travel insurance policy (picked the middle coverage) has the following:

The Company will pay a benefit to reimburse the Insured up to the Maximum Limit shown in the Schedule or Declarations Page, for loss, theft or damage to the Insured’s Baggage and Sportsman’s Equipment during the Insured’s Trip. The Company will also pay for fees incurred to ship the Insured’s Baggage and Sportsman’s Equipment to the Insured’s location if the lost items are recovered. I wonder if the term "loss" means the same as the word "lost"? (see definition below)

Items over $150 must be accompanied by original receipts. If receipts are not provided, the maximum amount payable will be $150.

Baggage means luggage, passports, visas, travel documents, and personal possessions which are owned, borrowed, or rented, and are taken by the Insured on the Trip. Seems that personal possessions should cover a camera.

Sportsman’s Equipment means:
  1. (a) hunting equipment including, but not limited to: guns, bows and arrows; andfishin
  2. (b) g equipment including, but not limited to: rods, reels and tackle; and
  3. (c) ski gear, including, but not limited to: skis, ski poles, ski bindings, boots and snowboards; and
  4. (d) golf equipment including, but not limited to: golf clubs and golf balls; and
  5. (e) any other similar gear or equipment utilized by the Insured for similar activities during the Trip.
This includes such equipment that is used by the Insured on the Trip whether owned, borrowed or rented.

Loss means financial or physical damage sustained by the Insured or their belongings as a consequence of one or more of the events against which the Company has undertaken to compensate the Insured. Is loss the same as lost?

Baggage Coverage Proof of Loss: The Insured must provide AIG Claims, Inc. with the following:
  1. (a) an accident, police, incident or irregularity report providing details of the incident; and
  2. (b) receipts for all items being claimed; and
  3. (c) a copy of a repair invoice or estimate, if the claim is for damaged Baggage; and
  4. (d) documentation showing any received or expected settlements, refunds or credits for this Loss from any other party.
My state, Indiana, has the following language in the DAN travel policy as to what would be paid:
  • $2,500 aggregate on all Losses to: jewelry, watches, furs, cameras and camera equipment, camcorders, and other electronic devices , including but not limited to: portable personal computers, cellular phones, electronic organizers and portable CD players.
As @Ministryofgiraffes mentioned, Senn-Dunn-Marsh-Roland (H2O insurance) is a way to insure dive equipment through DAN, but does cost extra.

DAN dive insurance would cover the loss of a camera if during a covered dive accident.

@Jojo Soriano Only because I would be interested in knowing for my future travel and how insurance would cover it, how did you lose the camera? Which type of policy were you making a claim to - travel or dive?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom