DIVE/TRAVEL INSURANCE OPTIONS besides DAN.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello all, any recommendations on optional dive/travel insurance besides DAN? I haven't had much luck with a claim with DAN (lost camera equipment that was covered, supposedly). My inquiries regarding the unresolved claim went nowhere - very disappointing. If you know of alternative dive/travel insurance provider, please advise. Thanks.

Isn’t the camera coverage Sean Dunn or something? And they just give pref rates to DAN members? I didn’t think DAN actually covered camera equipment. I’ve never considered getting camera equipment covered by DAN... more of a health provider..

Can you please share the paragraph from your insurance contract with DAN that should cover the photo gear?

I've never taken out straight travel insurance (for lost, stolen stuff, etc.), but have had out of the country emergency medical insurance (Blue Cross). Has to be an emergency (ie., won't cover some condition you already have). I've used it more than once. Blue Cross says they cover dive related accidents as they are an obvious emergency. Different country I know, but maybe of help? I've never had DAN because of this coverage and because I've never been in a place where I'd have to be flown a long way to a chamber.

i had a visa gold card and had the insurance company write me a letter a could carry on trips that stated they would cover dive related medical treatment including a chamber ride if required.

we have switched cards now and the new insurer would not agree to provide the same type of letter.

never even considered insurance coverage for gear to be honest.

Funny--we always used Visa Gold when travelling to the U.S.--and it covered our medical emergencies 2-3 times. Used to be 48 days out of Canada then was reduced to 30 days. When we started "snowbirding" for 2 or 3 months, we took out the Blue Cross because you could (for a hefty fee) add the time you are away after 30 days. But, with both Visa Gold & Blue Cross the 30 days coverage began when you left Canada. You couldn't ask for one of the two to begin coverage AFTER the first 30 days, so you'd have double coverage for 30 days then none. So we dropped the Visa Gold. Not totally relevant to the OP question, just love to point out another way insurance can screw you.

If you have homeowner's or condominium owner's insurance, you should look into whether it covers personal property loss/damage while away from home, as many do. That's the only insurance I have for lost/damaged personal property. I don't have expensive camera equipment--like tens of thousands of dollars--but if I did, I might look into a separate rider for that.

Aside from personal property loss/damage, I would separate dive accident insurance and "travel" insurance in my mind before making decisions. They are two different things, and there is no inherent advantage to buying them from the same company. DAN's dive accident insurance seems well liked--I can't recall any instance where someone says DAN did not pay up. On the other hand, I vaguely recall a few complaints about DAN's travel insurance. Travel insurance covers things like trip cancellation and interruption and lost/delayed baggage. I have bought travel insurance for a couple of expensive liveaboard trips, but usually don't bother with travel insurance for trips on which my itinerary is more flexible, not incredibly expensive, or not paid 100% in advance.

If you have homeowner's or condominium owner's insurance, you should look into whether it covers personal property loss/damage while away from home, as many do. That's the only insurance I have for lost/damaged personal property. I don't have expensive camera equipment--like tens of thousands of dollars--but if I did, I might look into a separate rider for that.

Aside from personal property loss/damage, I would separate dive accident insurance and "travel" insurance in my mind before making decisions. They are two different things, and there is no inherent advantage to buying them from the same company. DAN's dive accident insurance seems well liked--I can't recall any instance where someone says DAN did not pay up. On the other hand, I vaguely recall a few complaints about DAN's travel insurance. Travel insurance covers things like trip cancellation and interruption and lost/delayed baggage. I have bought travel insurance for a couple of expensive liveaboard trips, but usually don't bother with travel insurance for trips on which my itinerary is more flexible, not incredibly expensive, or not paid 100% in advance.
Very rare for homeowners to cover anything out of country. It also can be an issue with cc coverage.

I have DAN for diving and get World Nomads for travel on a per trip basis. WN travel insurance also covers diving, while on a trip, but not local. They also cover property, like cameras.

Very rare for homeowners to cover anything out of country. It also can be an issue with cc coverage.

Hmm. I admit I haven’t looked into it. I’m parroting what others have said in other threads about relying on homeowner’s insurance.

Back
Top Bottom