dive slate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Are they planning to have you just jot verbal messages, or to map reefs? The pencil types are the best if you must draw. In fact, I don't like the others at all because they are too impermanant. If I need to write down some compas headings but accidentally erase them on the etch-a-sketch slate, I may not remember where to go. The pencil ones won't erase till you take some cleanser to them at home that night.

sdexcalibur once bubbled...
Hey what's good for dive slates. I've seen the etch a sceach types and the kind with the pencil. I'm taking advanced class soon.

I have both a small slate with a pencil in a pocket and a wrist slate. Some people prefer to have permanent information on slates, such as deco stops, etc.

A lot of divers also advocate the use of wetnotes available from Fifth D

Ok, so a slat is permentant until you get to the surface, So basically if you run out of room your F@#%ED. if you need something else. Not sure what they want you to write down. Just says it required buy the class. I';ve seen these 5 page slates, I just don't want to have something to big or to dinky,
I'm sure the dive shop will more than be happy in getting me one. They have two it's about 7" by 4" one has a campass and retails for 99.00, the other no campass and it's 75.00, I think that's crazy.

sdexcalibur once bubbled...
Ok, so a slat is permentant until you get to the surface, So basically if you run out of room your F@#%ED.

That is why you use Wetnotes, like mentioned by CaveDiver.

They all have their place. For the average recreational AOW diver a simple slate with pencil ($5 - $10) is plenty. You'd be amazed at how much information you can get on one before you "run out of room." Indeed, I've never known anyone to run out of room unless they don't clean it between dives.
I've played with the Quest slate and it is fun - neat - for quick "wow!" type messages - but if I were carrying one I'd carry a regular slate for backup. Wetnotes are ok but I prefer something a bit more substantial - so I personally carry either the Dive-Rite executive slate or my home-made version, 3 or 4 small (3X4) slates held together with a split ring.
Rick

I'm thinking about getting one of those because I can't find a good way to carry the slate I have. The diver's I've seen using them really like them.

Just my .02
Ber :bunny:

I like my Dive Rite 3 page wrist slate, (I don't remember what they call it)
It has bungies that hold it on my fore arm.
plenty of room for notes and tables or whatever for 1 or 2 dives.

If you need to communicate more than that you might as well sit somewhere and talk!! :wink:

I tried the Trident Multi Level wrist slate today. Works like a charm!
Lot of space for notes (did wreck mapping with it), very small and on the wrist. No clutter and danglies but it was there when I needed it.
It has three pages bungieed together and has a velcro strap for the wrist.

I think it is the same or similar as Tavi mentioned.

Ray

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom