Dive skins , decisions , decisions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mermoose

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Can anybody weigh in on dive skins? I am considering a lava core skin or a Neosport by Henderson 13oz. Polyolefin. I really wish I could find a skin that had some style to it that was also functional. I have looked into dive goddess and she has some cute stuff but I want a suit with some substance. Any comments?:acclaim: I cannot find a thread on skins...It's not the most important piece of equipment but I'd love to avoid the weight of a 3 ml any time I can. A substantial skin could do that. Hep me pleeezze.
:shakehead:

I have a Henderson 17oz polyolephin dive skin, and while I would not go so far as saying it is as warm as a 2 mil wesuit, it does a pretty good job when a 3 mil suit may be too much. I primarily use mine under my 3 mil when my 5 mil might be too much, or to make donning the wetsuit easier, or to cut down on weight requirements.

If you must own a skin then polyolefin is the way to go. it's most useful worn under a wetsuit. it will add some warmth while not adding a weight penalty. :)

I have been very pleased with my Henderson Polyolefin suit. On a recent trip to Truk, however, I was concerned whether it would be enough with repeated dives. I purchased a long sleeve hooded Lavacore, wore it underneath the Polyolefin and was very warm and comfortable.

I have to admit that I tried my Henderson polyolefin for the first time during my recent Bonaire trip. I found I was a little cool in my 3/2 so switched to a 5 mm and had severe buoyancy issues so switched to the polyolefin under the 3/2. No buoyancy problems but I have to say that I didn't notice a significant increase in warmth. Putting the wetsuit on over the skin was a breeze but putting the wet skin on itself for a second round of shore diving was a nightmare.

I have to admit that I tried my Henderson polyolefin for the first time during my recent Bonaire trip. I found I was a little cool in my 3/2 so switched to a 5 mm and had severe buoyancy issues so switched to the polyolefin under the 3/2. No buoyancy problems but I have to say that I didn't notice a significant increase in warmth. Putting the wetsuit on over the skin was a breeze but putting the wet skin on itself for a second round of shore diving was a nightmare.

I hate having to wrestle with wet dive skins myself. I find it much easier to pop into and out of a 1.5 mm one-piece wetsuit. It is a little warmer and it has very little buoyancy (maybe 3-4 lbs?) so suit compression is not an issue for me.

I like the idea of these Thermalution.combut they may be a little on the bleeding edge.....but overal a much smarter direction than wetsuits....warmth without buoyancy :)
This looks very cutting edge. Would love to hear some feed back on it!!

---------- Post added March 19th, 2013 at 12:23 AM ----------

I am currently leaning towards a lava core skin. I have fourth element "undies" I can take that will add 2 mm( without adding buoyancy) if needed. Anybody own one of those lavacore suits? Feedback would be great...

I am currently leaning towards a lava core skin. I have fourth element "undies" I can take that will add 2 mm( without adding buoyancy) if needed. Anybody own one of those lavacore suits? Feedback would be great...

I have a full length Lava Core. I really like it. So far I have used it only when skin diving. I haven't used scuba diving, only due to opportunity. That will change in May.

My 3mm and 5mm suits are tight enough that there is no way I can use the Lava Core as another layer underneath those.

I will be giving the Lava Core a try as an undergarment with my dry suit this summer when we do start to get some "warmer" water temps.

Mermoose
been using a herderson polyfin suit for several bonaire trips including last one I am just back from. love the suit, its perfect for me. don't like to play with neoprene. thinking though of a vest just to be a bit warmer but really have never been cold. don't have an issue with putting it on wet or dry.
its just a dream to put on compared to a regular wetsuit. having said all this a new lavacore suit might be a good idea. more sizes available but more money. if you do buy a lavacore would love to hear about it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom