Dive shops: obligation to buy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

heng

Registered
Reaction score
my first experience in a dive shop: i wanted to buy a wetsuit. they only had one brand. I tried two models of this brand and said to the person: "i still wanna try other brands to know what fits me best, thank you". that was enough to drive the man mad. shouted at me "you must respect me!! you made me go inside and bring you TWO pieces and now you tell me you are not buyinga anything!". is this always like this in the dive shops ? also called me other words i cant write here. i'd rather go online shops now.

my first experience in a dive shop: i wanted to buy a wetsuit. they only had one brand. I tried two models of this brand and said to the person: "i still wanna try other brands to know what fits me best, thank you". that was enough to drive the man mad. shouted at me "you must respect me!! you made me go inside and bring you TWO pieces and now you tell me you are not buyinga anything!". is this always like this in the dive shops ? also called me other words i cant write here. i'd rather go online shops now.

Troll? Sockpuppet? Sorry, I couldn't resist.

It is unfortunate that it is that way in some dive shops.

Phil Ellis

I'd try a diffferent shop. They're not all like the one you described. No wonder the guy never sells anything. You're NEVER obligated to buy anything.

Troll? Sockpuppet? Sorry, I couldn't resist.

It is unfortunate that it is that way in some dive shops.

Phil Ellis

That was the first thing my mind thought as well Phil :rofl3:. To the OP, just shop around. You have no obligation to anyone so just know that your dealings with people will follow you so always be on the up & up and honest with them. Then, buy what is right for you WHEN it is right for you. Also make sure you remember the whole service and warranty aspect of the purchase....that must play into your decision to buy somehow.

No, not all shops owners are berserk.

Many are getting paraniod of becoming fitting rooms for online sellers and that becomes a personal ethics matter in how consumers conduct themselves.

Other than that try what you must where you can until you find the suit that meets your needs. I would encorage this over playing wetsuit roulette online. I think you have already demonstareated that since after 2 best guesses you did not find THE suit you wanted.

Pete

I always think respect is earned. I also want to enjoy any purchase I make and in your situation I wouldn't buy anything from a salesperson so rude! You might want to mention it to the owner of the shop (unless it was the owner yelling at you). Supporting a local dive shop is important in my opinion, but only if you are treated properly as a customer. Buying online is great, it gives us choices. I'm sorry you encountered such a rude person!

There is no obligation for you to buy from an LDS. It's your money, you can buy at an online store, ebay, used from craigslist, scubaboard classifieds or the guy next store. If the dive store wants to stay in business, he has an obligation to make you want to buy from him. A demanding attitude might get him one sale, but not a customer.

I think I'd laugh in the guy's face , shoot him the bird and walk out...

think of it This way... he jus' made all your online purchases Guilt Free! :)

when I asked him whats the problem of a customer try a wetsuit ? he came with the paranoid of "I'm a diver!" so what ? because he is a diver I must buy ? and at end he shouted at me: get outta here you beginner!. yes I'm a beginner who will never buy from you shop. hopefully I found a great LDS that also sells online but I didnt have to buy online, tried and purchased it.

......I found a great LDS that also sells online but I didnt have to buy online, tried and purchased it.

These are the best because once you have developed a good relationship with them, you can buy your gear online without fear of "Buyer's Remorse" due to ill fitting things....that sort of thing. Plus, the same shop that you buy from online, also services your gear AND gives you air fills and equipment rental. If it is a good shop and gets most of your money, they should treat you like a king. But, as with anything, they should treat you like a king.....it is up to them as to how they actually deal with you and up to you (and you only) if you shop there.

Enjoy the new suit and dive often.

Back
Top Bottom