Dive shop vs. sporting store??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ucrtwf

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hey guys,
Please educate me (so I can prove to my wife) that the LSD will have a "higher end" mask/snorkle than the Sportmart.
The cost is several times higher, it seems to me that the frames are more durable plastic, however the lens on the cheap masks claims to be tempered and the purge valves are more common (mine worked fine for 9 dives, up to 85 ft last month). I just read the post on purge valves, and most of you say it's nothing but an added part to go bad. I also know most of you guys don't give a darn about snorkles (however I do still enjoy the activity in the right spot).
Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance,
Tim

Higher End usually means more expensive. And you just said the LDS is more expensive. :) My mask came from Sports Authority. Ergo, I'm not too upset that a vulture ate half of it during my last SI. If it was an $80 mask, I would be pissed. A mask isn't as much life support as regs. Buy your regs and stuff at the LDS, but just by two cheap masks if you are worried one will break. If you want, in the future, buy a more expensive mask.

You can always do what my dad does with his flying--he an dmy mom have a budgeted amount of money they get each week, and if he wants he can spend his money on flying. But flying is $$, so he works a little bit of overtime to pay for it. If he wants to fly more, he works more. In this case, set up a budget with your wife and yourself (and also budget money for bills and stuff) and if you want to spend more than you've budgeted yourself, work a little extra.

The quality of the silicone skirt would be a big point as well, and at a dive shop you can be fit properly. Some people are very difficult to fit.

The LDS will have higher end mask/snorkel combos because that is what they deal in. You will also find a wider variety of masks (both size and style) at the LDS and you can try them on and find the one that fits your face perfectly. Personally I don't have a problem with the USDivers mask/snorkels sold at the sportmarts. My current mask was purchased from Meijer during a 75% off clearance and I got the mask/snorkel for $12. I'm VERY happy with it because I have a pretty standard face and the mask fits me well. This is not going to be true for everyone though. Snorkels are another matter, unless you're going to do a lot of snorkeling you don't need a high end snorkel, the USDivers snorkels work fine.
Ber :lilbunny:

Usually, a quality brand will have a higher grade silicon, tempered glass and more durable plastic. However, I have found some decent masks outside of an LDS. But here's the issue: does Sportmart care if your gear does fail? Let's say that purge valve does fail (9 dives isn't a lot... over time, getting sand and whatnot in the gear can help that purge fail), will they be able to replace it? Overall, you may pay more money shopping at your LDS upfront (they have a lot of costs in order to operate), but they aren't out to screw you and will save you money in the long run... with good service and quality gear.

Thanks guys,
Your input is much appreciated!
Take care,
Tim

ucrtwf:
Hey guys,
Please educate me (so I can prove to my wife) that the LSD will have a "higher end" mask/snorkle than the Sportmart.
The cost is several times higher, it seems to me that the frames are more durable plastic, however the lens on the cheap masks claims to be tempered and the purge valves are more common (mine worked fine for 9 dives, up to 85 ft last month). I just read the post on purge valves, and most of you say it's nothing but an added part to go bad. I also know most of you guys don't give a darn about snorkles (however I do still enjoy the activity in the right spot). Any thoughts? Thanks in advance,
Tim

Tim: In many cases the sporting goods and big box stores are buying the USD and other brands that are made in the same factory using the same materials that are sold and branded differently in the LDS.

The masks being sold in most sporting goods stores have tempered glass lenses, a decent skirt material etc. They just cost a lot less. If they are comfortable and fit you well there is no problem using them for SCUBA diving.

That being said, the higher quality masks use surgical grade silicone, soft and comfortable and long lasting, the frames can be of higher quality, Aluminum, SS, and better quality thermoplastics.

There are a few manufacturers that make the same mask as the "big names" but sell it for half the price. Made in the same OEM factories as the 'big names'.

check out the Scuba Max or Tilos masks. Same mask, half the price.

Scuba shops usually offer better equipment, name brands in the diving world. At sporting goods such as Walley World. The surgical grade silicone is a lot softer and holds the shape of the face better than cheaper models. Good mask use tempured glass lenses not plastic that you find in sporting goods. I have like 3 masks and I still haven't found the ultimate mask for myself.

As to snorkels I just love when your out in 4 and 5 ft + seas and you don't have a snorkel.

There is a reason dive shops are around today. To provide equipment sales with a sales person that knows what they are talking about, equipment repair, to answer your questions and to provide you with training. And it can be a place to offer vaction trips with like minded people. Every aspect they can cover. Down to a meeting place for divers, maybe an in store scuba club.

If things are a few bucks higher, isn't it worth supporting a professional dive shop that will be there when you need them?

All the advise is good - if you are going past 30 feet I would buy a good mask from a
dive shop - try Dive Sports they have some quality mask for under $30.00

Journey On,
Scubacoots3

Back
Top Bottom