Dive shop repair resulted in flooded computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

"I know a computer isn't life support..."

Actually, yeah it is.

I would be demanding a replacement.

it's not life support, it's convenience. Any diver should be able to complete a dive safely with a computer failure, not always the case with regulators. Either way, replacement is only option

Thanks a lot for all the input - I really do appreciate the insight. I dropped it off today at the shop but the clerk said the owner would have to call me back. I'll keep you posted. The complicating thing now is that after 8 days of drying out the watch appears to be functioning again (i.e. keeping time, dive history is present, light works and buttons are responding). Previously it was really non-responsive, blank at times, flashing and just plain not working. I'm concerned they may say it is fine and working again but I'm worried there may be "other" internal damage that isn't showing up or something else that is compromised.

Like I said, I'll keep you posted.

While the computer has come back to life, as electronics often do so, I would be concerned if the flood was from salt water. There could still be some long term issues with salt corrosion.

A couple of suggestions: call Cressi and talk with them, get their thoughts as they are going to have more experience with such incidents than the dive shop. Can Cressi have the computer fully diagnosed and tested? If found to be fully function will the dive shop extend the warranty (in writing) for an additional 1-2 years to cover their mistake. Would they perhaps offer an upgrade option at cost? Think about al these thing so you are prepared when talking with the dive shop owner.

Thanks again for the input. I spoke with the owner of the diveshop and he insists that he dried it out and there is no permanent damage, no corrosion, etc. He states that it appears that the watch wasn't even flooded because salt water on a battery would corrode immediately and there isn't any sign of that. He also denies that they installed the back incorrectly. When I challenged him he stated "he didn't look at the back before he took it off". Luckily I took a couple of pictures of the watch before returning it to the store and made the clerk who took the watch look at it. Long story short, after about 20 mins arguing with him, he somehow made me feel like the bad guy and angrily offered to replace it with an Oceanic Manta. We ended the conversation with him going to take it out for a couple of weeks to dive to ensure it still works. He will let me know his findings. Regardless of what he determines, it will still be up to me whether I want a replacement or will trust that my watch is ok.

I've also contacted Cressi to see their thoughts and to determine the dive watch most comparable to the Edy. No response yet. I haven't researched the Manta yet.

Your thoughts?

i dunno, **** can happen, if they make good on it and replace it I wouldn't go hunting for a new shop depending on the root cause of the failure.

i dunno, **** can happen, if they make good on it and replace it I wouldn't go hunting for a new shop depending on the root cause of the failure.

Long story short, after about 20 mins arguing with him, he somehow made me feel like the bad guy and angrily offered to replace it

Rule #1 of retail: "You don't win arguments with customers."

Thanks again for the input. I spoke with the owner of the diveshop and he insists that he dried it out and there is no permanent damage, no corrosion, etc. He states that it appears that the watch wasn't even flooded because salt water on a battery would corrode immediately and there isn't any sign of that. He also denies that they installed the back incorrectly. When I challenged him he stated "he didn't look at the back before he took it off". Luckily I took a couple of pictures of the watch before returning it to the store and made the clerk who took the watch look at it. Long story short, after about 20 mins arguing with him, he somehow made me feel like the bad guy and angrily offered to replace it with an Oceanic Manta. We ended the conversation with him going to take it out for a couple of weeks to dive to ensure it still works. He will let me know his findings. Regardless of what he determines, it will still be up to me whether I want a replacement or will trust that my watch is ok.

I've also contacted Cressi to see their thoughts and to determine the dive watch most comparable to the Edy. No response yet. I haven't researched the Manta yet.

Your thoughts?

I flooded the battery compartment of a Veo 250 and the corrosion was immediate. I cleaned and dried it out and it has worked perfectly since.

Well, it's been a couple of months of back and forth but I thought I would give an update and ask your opinions again :) It appears the computer is ruined and the shop is ready to make good and provide me with a new computer. They won't confirm what make/model they are offering but did say they had the following in stock: Oceanic Geo 2, Sherwood Amphos and Aeris Manta.

Two questions: 1) Are these comparable to my Edy that was ruined? (I don't recall what I originally paid) 2) Which of the 3 would you choose?

Thanks again!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom