Dive shop repair resulted in flooded computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

a computer can flood even if the manufacture replaces the battery. It's life, don't come unglued on a local shop because of it.

Tim

I did not get the impression the OP was looking to "come unglued on the local shop". I thought he was just tring to figure out what he should expect from them after paying $30 for the replacement service including less than $5 worth of materials. So, what do you thing the shop should do?

I think the shop should repair or replace his computer. But I would not be surprised if the shop claimed it has no responsibility, in which case a bit of "unglueing" might be called for.

Tbone,
I have ALWAYS done my own battery changes, I do it right with new orings, springs, whatever is in the battery service kit. I have flooded a computer or two....

NOW if the shop was truly at fault that is a different story. Did the shop return all of the old parts with the computer after the battery service? If not that is a good indicator that they did not do a "factory" service and issue could be had with the service they did. HOWEVER, if they did it right and the computer still flooded.... there is a small factor of life happens.

Tim

I think the shop should replace the computer with a comparable one. I would take the computer back to the shop as soon as possible and discuss it in person.

I don't see any reason for them to refund the service fee on top of this, as the end result would be you having a computer with a new battery in it and this is what you wanted in the first place.

Tim, BS. If you service your computer and it still leaks, then yeah sucks, that's life. You pay someone to do services expecting it to be right, that's why you pay them. If the shop did it right and it still leaked, the shop should be the one paying for it, not the diver. They have insurance for this sh!t if they don't want to pay for it out of pocket. The fact of the matter is that the OP paid for a service, the service was not done correctly, the OP shouldn't have to eat the consequences, if you think otherwise you are completely clueless. Also, this might be a computer that does not have user replaceable batteries, in that case the shop had to be trained by Cressi in order to service this computer, they had the full service manual, something went bad, if they refuse to replace it, they are clearly trying to hide something, that is huge red flags and they should be reported for malpractice. It is literally that simple and there is NO OTHER SOLUTION than the shop provide a replacement of the device either with the exact device if it is still in production, the current replacement for said device, or shop credit for new value of the device. Anything less than that is the shop trying to hide something and is completely unacceptable.

OP, call the shop, tell them that what happened, report back what they do. Odds are they are going to offer to replace it if they can't fix it, if they don't, let the flaming begin.

Thanks a lot for all the input - I really do appreciate the insight. I dropped it off today at the shop but the clerk said the owner would have to call me back. I'll keep you posted. The complicating thing now is that after 8 days of drying out the watch appears to be functioning again (i.e. keeping time, dive history is present, light works and buttons are responding). Previously it was really non-responsive, blank at times, flashing and just plain not working. I'm concerned they may say it is fine and working again but I'm worried there may be "other" internal damage that isn't showing up or something else that is compromised.

Like I said, I'll keep you posted.

I would insist on a replacement regardless of whether or not it appears to working now. I would have a real hard time trusting a computer that had been flooded.

I would insist on a replacement regardless of whether or not it appears to working now. I would have a real hard time trusting a computer that had been flooded.

How much would you be willing to pay for that replacement and the associated "trust"? I doubt if you will find any service warranty that would cover such a demand.

Thanks a lot for all the input - I really do appreciate the insight. I dropped it off today at the shop but the clerk said the owner would have to call me back. I'll keep you posted. The complicating thing now is that after 8 days of drying out the watch appears to be functioning again (i.e. keeping time, dive history is present, light works and buttons are responding). Previously it was really non-responsive, blank at times, flashing and just plain not working. I'm concerned they may say it is fine and working again but I'm worried there may be "other" internal damage that isn't showing up or something else that is compromised.

Like I said, I'll keep you posted.

I would make them do a full pressure test on the computer to make sure the pressure sensor reads correct. You do not need a computer just to keep time. They should also replace the battery.

How much would you be willing to pay for that replacement and the associated "trust"? I doubt if you will find any service warranty that would cover such a demand.

It's not a warranty issue if the shop simply screwed up!!!!

take to the dive shop, show them that they installed it incorrectly and it resulted in a computer failure. You not only want a refund on the service but you want them to replace the computer as it is now no longer functional. If they refuse, go straight to cressi and inform them of the whole issue and see if they'll threaten to yank their dealership because they are clearly not capable of something as simple as replacing a computer battery

That's right I agree with the above. You break old you pay new... They screwed up they need to make good. That's all there is to it!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom