Dive Rite new backup lights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
seems that now we have similar models from
a) Halcyon
b) Diverite
c) Oxycheq
d) ???

Anyone has used them ?
how are the comparisons ?

Diverite seems to be using less batteries ( 4 AA batteries) as compared to Halcyon and Oxycheq (3 C size)

anyone has any experience with the backup lights mentioned above ?

Buying a backup light based on the batteries seems like a good plan to me. I'd go for it.

You also might want to try using the search button as all these lights have been discussed at length. Well, at least the H and O ones anyway.

There are also other lights that will serve well.

MD

You can buy 4 Princeton Tec 40s for the price of one of the lights you listed and they are tried and true (no bezels falling off, no strips to readjust....).

Ben

OneBrightGator once bubbled...
You can buy 4 Princeton Tec 40s for the price of one of the lights you listed and they are tried and true (no bezels falling off, no strips to readjust....).

Ben

Concur 100%. Depth rated to 1000', and bulbs available from Home Depot for 30c.

Further, its been used by many cave divers for over 10 years without issues [so I'm told, possibly even over 20 years]. It 'famous' enough you can find it stenciled with other manufacturers names.

Regardless of whether the Tec40 bulb is slightly overdriven or not, and that its just made of plastic, it has proven itself i n over a decade of use. A quickly search on the net will show its also well liked in surface activities because its robust, takes getting tossed and dropped well.

I just bought a UK Q40 backup light. I thought it was a little on the puny side until I put the batteries in and fired 'er up! I was amazed how much light this little 4AA light put out, and for $15 from leisure pro I hope I cant go wrong!!!

I have two UK Q40's for backup - one on my BCD and one clipped to my uw slate. No problems after eight dives. Although you can clip it to your mask, my buddy gets annoyed with it and it adds complexity to the mask drill.

I went with the UK's because I saw that some people on Scubaboard said that they had flooding problems with their Princeton lights. I also like the fact that there are multiple options to secure the UK Q40's.

I dive quarries. Little to no overhead risk. Haven't found the need for bombproof lights like Halcyon or DiveRite yet. I'm sure that my needs are quite different for those who push the limits. I figure that the chances of two UK Q40's failing at the same time are slight.

I had a Q40 for a while and that little thing definitely put out alot of light for it's size, but it didn't hang "right" on my harness (really, they only place to put a boltsnap is that little hole by the bezel) so I dumped mine and got Tec 40s.

Ben

Back
Top Bottom