OrcaTorch D630 V2.0 Review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RyanT

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
My OrcaTorch D630 V2.0 arrived recently. A big thanks to @rob.mwpropane for getting me a deal on it!

It arrived in a nice case, similar to the one that accompanies the bigger DiveRite lights. The hard goodman handle seems to be well-designed and it actually feels more comfortable on my hand than the DiveRite goodman handle. Externally, the build quality seems quite good. The canister has a velcro "fold over" strap to attach to your harness. I know that some manufacturers overstate their output claims. I went out at night and did a side-by-side comparison with my DiveRite LX20 that is rated at 1500 lumens. I don't know if the Orcatorch is putting out 4000 lumens, but it is substantially brighter than the LX20! Without having batteries in the head, the OrcaTorch is a little lighter on my hand than the LX20. The weight of the LX20 doesn't really bother me, but it's still nice have less weight on your hand.

Note: The OrcaTorch is a can light with twice the battery capacity of the LX20, so I get this isn't an apples to apples comparison, but it's what I've got in other lights, so I was using it for comparison.

Finally, I did a burn test. I put the light head in a bucket of water and took a picture each hour on the same camera settings. By eye, or from the images, I didn't notice any dimming after an hour of run time. By the second hour, it did seem to have dimmed somewhat and it continued to taper off slowly after that. At the 4.5 hour mark, it was flashing red, indicating less than 10% battery. At that point, I did a side by side comparison again with a fresh LX20 (rated at 1500 lumens). The LX20 was brighter, but not by a huge amount. I'd estimate the OrcaTorch was still putting out something like 1000 lumens at the 4.5 hour mark. Now I'm just looking forward to getting it in the water!

Attachments

• Initial.JPG
    Initial.JPG
    30.8 KB · Views: 77
  • 4 hour.JPG
    4 hour.JPG
    28.4 KB · Views: 73
  • 3 Hours.JPG
    3 Hours.JPG
    22.7 KB · Views: 87
  • 2 Hour.JPG
    2 Hour.JPG
    27.2 KB · Views: 72
  • 1 hour.JPG
    1 hour.JPG
    30.8 KB · Views: 82
My OrcaTorch D630 V2.0 arrived recently. A big thanks to @rob.mwpropane for getting me a deal on it!

It arrived in a nice case, similar to the one that accompanies the bigger DiveRite lights. The hard goodman handle seems to be well-designed and it actually feels more comfortable on my hand than the DiveRite goodman handle. Externally, the build quality seems quite good. The canister has a velcro "fold over" strap to attach to your harness. I know that some manufacturers overstate their output claims. I went out at night and did a side-by-side comparison with my DiveRite LX20 that is rated at 1500 lumens. I don't know if the Orcatorch is putting out 4000 lumens, but it is substantially brighter than the LX20! Without having batteries in the head, the OrcaTorch is a little lighter on my hand than the LX20. The weight of the LX20 doesn't really bother me, but it's still nice have less weight on your hand.

Note: The OrcaTorch is a can light with twice the battery capacity of the LX20, so I get this isn't an apples to apples comparison, but it's what I've got in other lights, so I was using it for comparison.

Finally, I did a burn test. I put the light head in a bucket of water and took a picture each hour on the same camera settings. By eye, or from the images, I didn't notice any dimming after an hour of run time. By the second hour, it did seem to have dimmed somewhat and it continued to taper off slowly after that. At the 4.5 hour mark, it was flashing red, indicating less than 10% battery. At that point, I did a side by side comparison again with a fresh LX20 (rated at 1500 lumens). The LX20 was brighter, but not by a huge amount. I'd estimate the OrcaTorch was still putting out something like 1000 lumens at the 4.5 hour mark. Now I'm just looking forward to getting it in the water!

Thank you for the report. Can't wait for your in-water actual use results.

The can contains 8, 18650 batteries, so it does have a bit of "juice."

Wow @RyanT, cool test. Thanks. I haven't even had a chance to put mine through the ringer like that yet. Glad I could help. I can't wait to hear how it is in the caves.

Here's what should be a very shameful plug:);

I didn't really feel the need to write a formal review, but since I've gotten a some good hours with the light I figured I could add to this one. This is my 1st corded light so I'm still working a lot of things out but yesterday was the 1s time I felt really comfortable using it. I was playing with it in the quarry and I was impressed by how bright it was. The quarry is dark and "smoky" in places and this thing just punched right through it. I was comparing it to my buddies light and it just blew his out of the water. It was like comparing a pen light to a police spotlight, lol.

I stowed the can as far back on the right as possible and out of the way and ran the cord across the front (as I guess you're supposed to). Still need to adjust the goodman handle some. I added a bolt snap on the light to tie it off, found a pretty good video (to me) of how to set a corded light up (below). I do plan to add another attachment behind the light head to hang it from a double ender if needed so it's not blinding my buddy clipped off.

I still need to work on stowing the cord away after I clip it off in the waist belt, but even practicing with a deco tank yesterday I didn't get tangled up at all (which I have before). Before I would get a little worried about burn time with a cordless light on a goodman handle and have even had mine die after a full day of diving. I don't think that's a concern anymore.

Really interested to see how long this lasts being a somewhat of an off market light or "less expensive" light.

The only real complaint I have is when I make the goodman handle bigger I'm not sure it'll still fit in the case right. It's tight now, and I could really use another 1/4" or so. So the padding in the case might need to be cut. But that's not a huge deal. From what I understand V1.0 didn't come with a case at all, so I guess I should be grateful:)

Here's the video that put some pieces together for me;

Are you comparing it to an LX20, or an LX20+?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom