Dive Resorts in Subic Bay

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The weather is usually fine around Dec-Apr (middle of the dry season right now), as the dry season is underway. Typhoons normally over in the north by November. Cooler water (27-29), cooler evenings/hot days and much less precipitation - so visibility is best. There can be afternoon wind. From April, the wet season begins - more thunder storms in the evenings, extending as the season progresses until there is more rain/cloud during the day. Typhoons can start around Jun/Jul until Oct/Nov - whilst they can cause worse viz/surface conditions, they need to be passing near-directly overhead to limit diving in Subic (it's a very protected bay). Most years, we only lose 4-5 days of diving due to the weather.

Side-note/off-topic: Johan's is on Baloy Beach. There's not really any 'girlie bars' in that area. All those bars are on Barretto Beach, along the main highway some 600m walk from Johan's. You might see older foreigners in the company of younger girls, but you aren't confronted by the bars themselves. Don't make snap-judgments about the relationships you're seeing though, some of those mixed-age 'couples' are married etc...

We are non judgemental in that regard. We have but one rule "Consenting Adults". If that rule applies, what they do or are to each other is non of our business and nor should we judge them. If they find happiness then that's great. As I say "Life is far too short, enjoy it while you can"

If we flew to manila, do we then fly to Coron?

If we flew to manila, do we then fly to Coron?
YES.
But do confirm with the airlines for the maximum allowable check in luggage!!! Cebu Pacific(Turbo-Pro plane) only allows 15kg max but I could be wrong!!!
BTW, the wrecks are quite a distance from Coron Town(cheap room) but couple of expensive one are much closer! Money talk!!!

Last edited:
Hi everyone I'm new to ScubaBoard, so I'd appreciate any help. We're 2x advanced open water divers on a budget & interested in doing about 9 wreck dives in early April. We found budget accommodations at Johan's for P700/night, so we're likely to stay there. Any recommendations for the cheapest dive center (e.g. <P1300/dive, incl. equipment,boat,guide,etc)? Masterdive apparently offers fun dives for $25, or about P1125, but we can't seem to contact them.

Also, is the visibility generally good in April? Thanks in advance for your advice!

Hi everyone I'm new to ScubaBoard, so I'd appreciate any help. We're 2x advanced open water divers on a budget & interested in doing about 9 wreck dives in early April. We found budget accommodations at Johan's for P700/night, so we're likely to stay there. Any recommendations for the cheapest dive center (e.g. <P1300/dive, incl. equipment,boat,guide,etc)? Masterdive apparently offers fun dives for $25, or about P1125, but we can't seem to contact them.

Also, is the visibility generally good in April? Thanks in advance for your advice!

i dived with Johan and stayed with them in jun 2013. Rooms are cheap, but i remembered i paid more to upgrade to upstairs sea view room with much better fresh air. I paid about 1000p with own equipment diving with Johan's

Master Dive has been replaced by Vasco's for many yrs. It is situated inside Subic Free Port and is miles away from Johan.
If you are staying at Johan than Blue Rock dive centre just down the road is the nearest. There is another one at Arizona on the National Highway towards Subic Free Port. I believe Johan charges P1,500.00 per dive including equipment.
What you pay is what you get for a P700.00 room!!!!

Thanks for the fast replies. Our primary consideration is price, so we're used to backpacker-style accommodations as long as they're safe and clean. We plan to do about 9 dives, so we're trying to find the cheapest options available. Are Camayan Divers (P1260/dive) or Boardwalk Dive Center (P1300/dive for 3-4 divers) a viable option, or are there better choices? I heard Boardwalk is a bit far from Johan's. I'm not sure about Camayan.

Thanks for the fast replies. Our primary consideration is price, so we're used to backpacker-style accommodations as long as they're safe and clean. We plan to do about 9 dives, so we're trying to find the cheapest options available. Are Camayan Divers (P1260/dive) or Boardwalk Dive Center (P1300/dive for 3-4 divers) a viable option, or are there better choices? I heard Boardwalk is a bit far from Johan's. I'm not sure about Camayan.
Both Broadwalk and Camayan are also inside the Free Port. You will have to stay at Olongapo which is right next to Subic Free Port if you are looking for cheapie accommodation!!
Who is offering the cheapest deal(dive + room + food) among Arizona, Blue Rock, Broadwalk, Camayan, Johan and Vacos's? I am afraid you have to find it out yourself.
U2 might be able to negotiate a slightly cheaper diving rate since you are talking about 9 dives per person! Worth a try.

Good luck and enjoy the trip.

The resorts with dive centers (on the beach) tend to have higher rates for accommodation and food. You get better deals staying beyond the beach (other side of the road), especially in Barrio Barretto.

Accommodation inside SBMA is well over-priced IMHO. It's a non-starter for the budget conscious.

Stay on Barretto Beach / National Highway for the cheapest deals. It's closest to Arizona, but Blue Rock is an 8 minute walk away in Baloy. Johan's is a further 5 minutes walk. You can grab a trike anywhere in Barretto/Baloy for $1.

Best food - portions, quality and price is at the SitnBull Tavern, Del Pilar St, off Barretto. I virtually live in there when running courses in Subic. Never left there hungry, never spent a fortune and never had a bad stomach...

All very interesting comments wandering right off track at some points I feel.
What about wetsuit thickness for late April 3mm or would I be better taking my 5mm ?
Have all sorts of combinations to go with either 3mm with 5mm vest which would be the lightest to take weight wise in dive bag.
Can any one shed some light please.
Thanks

All very interesting comments wandering right off track at some points I feel.
What about wetsuit thickness for late April 3mm or would I be better taking my 5mm ?
Have all sorts of combinations to go with either 3mm with 5mm vest which would be the lightest to take weight wise in dive bag.
Can any one shed some light please.
Thanks
I had seen divers returned from the same dive wearing ranging from dry suit to broad short in Philippines!!! We are all individual and have different tolerance to cold.
The water in Subic is usually a touch warmer than the rest of the country because of lack of ocean current. I had never experienced anything like 23-24C there as in eg. Puerto Galera.
3mm long suit is usually adequate and a thin vest with hood would be a good insurance. But you might even find a 3mm shortie far too warm!!
However, keep your 5mm at home.

Back
Top Bottom