Dive Resorts in Subic Bay

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My sister and I stayed and dived at Johans when we were there on holiday in November last year. Its a budget hotel in need of some modernisation but IMO the dive shop is well run. We did find that people were surprised to see us (2 single girls in their 30s) but everyone at Johans made us very welcome. We had a great 6 days there diving the wrecks

The vis was poor at USS NY (maybe 3 - 5 m) but at the rest of the wrecks that we dived - it was reasonable. We were there at the end of they Typhoon season (just after yolanda (were in Sabang for that one!)) the water was approx 28C. We ended up doing out Nitrox course there which was well worth it as a lot of the wrecks are around the 30m mark.

We chose to stay and dive at Johan's because it was easy, no trying to get to the dive centre in the morning ready for the diving etc. May be in the future I'd stay in one of the other places that are not on the beach front but I wouldnt hesitate to dive with Johans again. We both felt that safety was a priority, the dive briefings were thorough and the dive staff very attentive too.

The girly scene didnt seem as overt as it is in Sabang.

As an update, we stayed at Lagoon (across the street from Johan's) and dived with Blue Rock Resort last week. Both were pleasant experiences and good value for the money. The girly scene wasn't bothersome, although the neon-lit bars were obvious. Water was about 26-28 C. Visibility was down to 1m during one dive at El Capitan! We dived there the next day and visibility had improved greatly. I'd say visibility is acceptable but definitely not as good as Coron's.

Thanks for the fast replies. Our primary consideration is price, so we're used to backpacker-style accommodations as long as they're safe and clean. We plan to do about 9 dives, so we're trying to find the cheapest options available. Are Camayan Divers (P1260/dive) or Boardwalk Dive Center (P1300/dive for 3-4 divers) a viable option, or are there better choices? I heard Boardwalk is a bit far from Johan's. I'm not sure about Camayan.

I've been off the board for months. i'm an American retiree who learned to dive in the Philippines in 2011. I have an advanced card and about 220-240 dives since then. I live near Davao.
I am amazed at all the prices here. guess i'm spoiled. diving in Davao is cheap. the dive center I hang with charges 700 p for 2 dives (with your own gear) with a dm and boat and often a 2 hour rest on a nice beach between dives. sounds like the diving I see here is about 3 times the price of Davao area.

I've been off the board for months. i'm an American retiree who learned to dive in the Philippines in 2011. I have an advanced card and about 220-240 dives since then. I live near Davao.
I am amazed at all the prices here. guess i'm spoiled. diving in Davao is cheap. the dive center I hang with charges 700 p for 2 dives (with your own gear) with a dm and boat and often a 2 hour rest on a nice beach between dives. sounds like the diving I see here is about 3 times the price of Davao area.
1. Which operator would that be?
2. Any day from Mon to Sun?
3. The last time that I dived in Davao I had to charter my own boat because I was the only customer around.

Hi All
I am heading to Subic in the 1st week of Jun. Is it too late in the season to dive? Will the rains have started and the diving season over?

PS: I plan to dive at Sabang in the week prior and the same question applies I guess.

Thanks

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk

Hi All
I am heading to Subic in the 1st week of Jun. Is it too late in the season to dive? Will the rains have started and the diving season over?

There is diving year-round in Subic Bay. However, during monsoon season, increased rainfall can lead to reduced visibility on many sites. June is *usually* still okay - rainfall typically limited to afternoon/evening thunder storms. Typhoons don't normally start until around Sept - but that's variable. Even during the 'typhoon season' very few diving days are lost, due to the sheltered nature of Subic Bay.

Philippines Travel Advice - Weather and When To Visit

Thanks . Are there any wreck dives suitable for an aowc? Non-penetration but still interesting at 30mtrs?

Pearlman

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk

El Coral Reef Dive Center offer both guided dives on any of the wrecks or reefs within Subic Bay, scuba diving equipment rental, diving courses, snorkeling trips and accommodation (through Blue Rock Resort).

More information here: www.elcoralreefdivecenter.ph

Last edited:
I can speak to Johan's on Baloy Beach. I have spent the last four weekends diving at Subic Bay. Johan's is very inexpensive. Its not a 5 star luxary Hilton, But for me the focus is on diving not where I lay my head at night. I would arrive friday night. Take two dives on Sat morning. Two dives on Sunday. Food, drink and diving all together ran me about $275 American dollars. The food is very good. They have local fare as well as many American and European offerings. If I could suggest one dish the most, it would be the Weiner Schnitzel!! So good I am still dreaming about it! The local lady who runs the operation (Amy), lived in Germany and Switzerland and has apparently brought with her a good menu. She is very friendly and made my stay enjoyable. While there, one of my collegues attained his C card from a dive instructor named Paul. Paul accomodated my buddy with Padi classes in German. The dive master of the shop (Henry) is GREAT. Very experienced and friendly, Not to mention he is one of the best divers I have ever observed. Really inspires me to develop my skills. I never saw them, but I'm sure he has gills. I would burn up a 210 bar bottle in 55 minutes and he would return to the surface with 100 bar.

On the dive sites: There are several wrecks at various depths. Something for everybody. El Capitan is shallow enough for the new people to get to check out a wreck. With four or five more wrecks very close at varying depths. All the way down to the USS New York at recreational limits. There is a Japanese patrol boat with torpedo damage, there is the LCU a landing craft, a pile of barges, there is the San Quentin being the oldest from the 1800's. And finally there are a couple of reefs. There is a lot of sea life on all the wrecks. There are some more wrecks that are beyond Rec. depths if your into deco.

I saw massive schools of Jacks forming spirals above me, more nudis than I could count, ghost pipe fish, scorpion fish, I lost count of the lion fish. I was there in the rainy season which literally means it rains every day which is not good for visibility but I was not dissatisfyed even on days that the vis was down to 3 meters. It only added to the qhostly feeling of all these wrecks!! On good days the vis would be 7 to 8 meters.

With the close proximity of all these wrecks it feels like one of those place I could retire to easily. Many ex pats have already. The dive shop offers a good variety of equipment and worked hard to make me confortable. Another one of the shop divers gets an honorable mention just for being helpful and hilarious is LJohn. Always fun to dive with enthusiastic people! I would recommend Subic to anyone having the chance to experience the wonderful people of the Phillipines and this most excellant dive destination.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom