Dive Resorts in Subic Bay

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sorry buddy but I really don't think 1,000 PHP a dive is correct, Savedra for example are 1,000 a dive is you have your own equipment, dive from the shore and don't pay the marine park fee but I am open to correction.As far as asia divers go they charge 30 usd which is over 1,300 PHP for a dive with your own equipment.

you have a group of people hyping up a place

Equally you have people over exaggerating the negative aspects, one mans hell hole is another mans paradise.

Sorry buddy but I really don't think 1,000 PHP a dive is correct, Savedra for example are 1,000 a dive is you have your own equipment, dive from the shore and don't pay the marine park fee but I am open to correction.As far as asia divers go they charge 30 usd which is over 1,300 PHP for a dive with your own equipment.

Equally you have people over exaggerating the negative aspects, one mans hell hole is another mans paradise.

Like you stated, a shore dive is 1,000 PHP. If you say BUT it's a shore dive, have to bring your own equipment, have to pay marine park fee... Well I have to say there are discounts available at these dive shops. Ask about them. Some include Nitrox for free, some include the Marive Reserve fee for free. Even dive shop at Shangri-La has discounts available. Getting the dive guide to give you that discount at Shangri-La... That's another matter.

I never stated that Asia Divers was 1,000 PHP. I looked at my recipe and saw it was "about 1,000 peso" with discounts I forgot about so maybe I'm bad at approximating but never stated it was 1,000 PHP.

"Equally you have people over exaggerating the negative aspects, one mans hell hole is another mans paradise."
I'm confused. What did you find over exaggerated in negative aspects?

That Johan's is a "They are laid-back and good dive team catering to Europeans."?
Few issues I found with the dive shop? Are they not true?
I guess that's the issue. It's because I reported some Nuances. That was perceived as overly negative.

Somebody stated that I'm not welcome and I shouldn't dive at these shops if I have these issue.
Well Duh! I couldn't agree more! If people stop attacking people reporting dive shop nuances, people would better informed and choose the shop that fits better!

Every shop / place has Nuances.
And positives.

Here are Johan's and Subic bay's positives to equal out the negatives.
Their dive master is a good one. He has a good easy going personality and is attentive.
Johan's has a nice diagram of the wrecks that really clarify the dive plan. (important when visibility is poor.)
They really go out of the way to take care of your equipment. (nightly storage, transport to boat, etc)
The sand in front of the resort wasn't that bad. Maybe because the tide was out.
Some Europeans are a hoot. They say what they mean and don't beat around the bush. They're fun to talk to.
Dive shop can accommodate ALL level of divers. They get some really good divers and you can pick up some good tips.
They give you a free drink after the dive.
Because they start later (meaning after 9:00 AM) you can go out and have a nice night life AND go diving.
It's not all girl bars, they have nice hangouts, dance bars, night market, street party.

As far as some place being hell and some places being paradise, I disagree.
I think it's the state of mind. You can make any place hell or paradise by your outlook.

This thread is about resort in Subic. So Moalboal and PG have nothing to do with it. How much Savedra or Asia Divers charge is absolutely irrelevant here.
Subic does NOT has a 5* resort and anyone looking for something extra should try somewhere else. A search on internet is more than enough rather than check the place with one's own eyes.
We all have our own standard and Paul Allen brought along his yacht to dive in Philippines.

Explanation: By "Europeans", he means "Caucasians".

wha? Europeans means people form Europe.

wtf?

why would you make stuff up?

Just like how an American might feel uncomfortable with a Korean dive shop because of possible accent and cultural differences, perhaps people should be aware.
Topics of discussion from guests, that Johan's has no control over, might make some customers feel uncomfortable.

Stop making things up.

Stop making things up.

The vast majority of Caucasians in Subic are American. Second to that is Australian. There are a 'few' Europeans... very few.

Johan is European (Belgian), but his clientele are not limited to Europeans, nor even predominantly European. They reflect the demographics of the area (with the exception of Australians, who typically hang out at Arizona). Johan's also receives many parties/groups from Asian countries - if your experience at the resort was more than an isolated few days, you would be aware of that.

Nothing I said was made up.

Furthermore, you wish to generalize about "old men and young girls". First, 'bar girls' are banned in Baloy Beach. Some guys do 'bar fine' and bring girls back with them to their resorts. The same happens everywhere. It is wrong to generalize however, many of those 'old men' are retired residents here and those 'young girls' are their wives. It does not pay to be judgmental.

When I visit Manila, I see plenty enough 'old Filipinos' with young girls.... what's worse, those are adulterous relationships. go to the 'KTV' bars in Manila or Subic and you'll find 'Old Asians' (Koreans and Filipino) with young girls... I don't judge... nor do I generalize. C'est La Vie. Old men with money, of whatever culture or nationality, have the opportunity to dally with younger women.... and some do so. Throwing around racist generalizations is nothing short of gross hypocritism. People who live in glass houses, shouldn't throw stones.

wha? Europeans means people form Europe.

wtf?

why would you make stuff up?

Just like how an American might feel uncomfortable with a Korean dive shop because of possible accent and cultural differences, perhaps people should be aware.
Topics of discussion from guests, that Johan's has no control over, might make some customers feel uncomfortable.

Stop making things up.

I think I read your post in wrong light.

My apologies.

Please ignore.

Ok back on topic. When is the rainy/monsoon/typhoon season? We are thinking of going around 10 Dec 14 - 10 Jan 15 as we had originally planned to go to Thailand but that fell through. Going for the wreck diving which is what we love. Booking in to Johan's Beach and Dive Resort so will try and give an unbiased report on return.

As a side note "off topic". We have been to quite a few places and seeing girly bars and hookers doesn't really phase us. They have their business and we are there for the diving. We went to Bali last year and the girly bars are in full swing there, but they never bother anyone unless its what you seek.

The weather is usually fine around Dec-Apr (middle of the dry season right now), as the dry season is underway. Typhoons normally over in the north by November. Cooler water (27-29), cooler evenings/hot days and much less precipitation - so visibility is best. There can be afternoon wind. From April, the wet season begins - more thunder storms in the evenings, extending as the season progresses until there is more rain/cloud during the day. Typhoons can start around Jun/Jul until Oct/Nov - whilst they can cause worse viz/surface conditions, they need to be passing near-directly overhead to limit diving in Subic (it's a very protected bay). Most years, we only lose 4-5 days of diving due to the weather.

Side-note/off-topic: Johan's is on Baloy Beach. There's not really any 'girlie bars' in that area. All those bars are on Barretto Beach, along the main highway some 600m walk from Johan's. You might see older foreigners in the company of younger girls, but you aren't confronted by the bars themselves. Don't make snap-judgments about the relationships you're seeing though, some of those mixed-age 'couples' are married etc...

Ok back on topic. When is the rainy/monsoon/typhoon season? We are thinking of going around 10 Dec 14 - 10 Jan 15 as we had originally planned to go to Thailand but that fell through. Going for the wreck diving which is what we love. Booking in to Johan's Beach and Dive Resort so will try and give an unbiased report on return.
The wrecks in Coron are better and plentiful.
Have a look at you-tube for the dive on the wrecks.

Back
Top Bottom