Dive reports with beach/weather conditions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Date: 7/28, 1 dive - Planned on 2 dives but only did one due to poor vis.
Duration: 90 mins, 1141-1312. Vis was going to zero by 1245 so i called it and headed in.
Site: S. Brohard
Depth: 22ft
Vis: Disappointing - 6 inches to 2 ft. Silt and whale snot were pretty heavy in most areas (think heavy snow storm) with patches of slime/bio-silt in some areas up to 3 inches deep. I kept going out all the way to 22 feet in search of clear water but never found much.
Temp: 86 F
Winds: SE
Tide: outgoing
Finds: Not much - found the distal end of a horse cannon bone 8 inches long, small piece of ivory, 3 crab traps tangled buried in the reef and blocks. Found some nice structure out at 22 feet that I've never found before (wish vis were better to see the bottom of the crevices).
I expected the vis to be better with the winds and the tide, and the reports from earlier this week but i think the high winds from Wednesday and the fact that i was late for high tide were the reason. Glad to get wet in spite of conditions. Hope it gets better this weekend.

Did 2.5 dives today (.5 is equipment issues :( ). Anyway....
As usual, am a kayak diver... Did first 1.5 dives about .8 miles off Alhambra. Viz was 6-8.... Really good finds on first dive (nothing on .5 dive).
Second dive: Wanted to try the blocks (have been referring new dive buddies there)... Viz.... Really good (for those of you cursing viz and leaving early... that is FOSSIL DIVING... reason why not everyone is crazy enough to do it!)... Anyway.... Viz at blocks around 1pm was about 6 ft (4-9 mostly). Will try to post photos later, but some already on my facebook page (see below... not advertising, but just being lazy and posting once :) ). Anyway... good hunting to all...
For reference.. if shore diving.... Go to Alhambra, look for TALL pine trees, look for bouy (crab trap) and search the blocks. Small and big stuff being found. ... Leave some fossils for me....:(:no:

Date 7/31/11
Where Service Club
Time 9:00 am
Winds E <5
Seas <1'
Water Temp 88
max depth 24'
Vis 1'-10' dependant on bottom
Finds 1 3" meg w/ tip damage and several pieces and the usual small stuff

Date 8/5/11
Where Service Club
Time 9:15 am
Seas <1'
Water Temp 90
Max Depth 24'
Dive Time 120 min.
Vis 2'-10'+
Finds 3 small worn megs, couple pieces, a nice tiger, usual small stuff and a $5 bill

Hey Scott, I'm pretty sure I lost that $5 after the clean up 2 weeks ago :wink::D:blinking: Oh, and dropped that tiger on my way back to shore:rofl3:

Did S. Brohard this morning. Entered around 10:00 am. Slight East wind, water calm, incoming tide, water temp 87 & viz 7 - 9 ft. Big thanks to Tooth for yesterday's report. I would not have gone out if not for that.:wink:

Date 8/14/11
Where Service Club
Time 9:00am
Seas <1'
Winds calm - changing to NW
Water Temp 87
Max depth 23'
Dive time 2 hrs
Vis variable <1'- 4'+
Finds nothing great, just small stuff

Aug 15
Alhambra