Dive reports with beach/weather conditions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just got back from my first Venice dive,

Dove south of the fishing pier, but north of the dog beach

Vis: snotty, maybe 2 feet

water temp: warmer than pool at hotel

In water about 10am

77 minutes, one small tooth, a bone fragment, large fish hook, and a round flat thing I need to ID (maybe just a rock, don't know) Cut dive short due to BIL getting sea sick underwater

Just to give you guys a 'taste' of what I have now instead of diving in bathwater :wink:

Conditions in San Diego's wreck alley Sunday:

Yukon in the AM -
surface 68
thermocline at 40 ft
56 degrees at the bottom.
Vis was about 40 feet all the way to the bottom (100ft)
Got some nice video of the wreck

Ruby E for the second dive
Surface - 68 - same thermocline - (only 1/2 mile away)
Same bottom temp.
Vis 20-30 ft to the bottom (85 ft)

Some kelp growing on the Yukon - that's normal :wink:

Lots of nudibranchs, kelp fish, starfish, etc.

Take a look at my new video on youtube - find it under 'jridg'

Enjoy the warm water down there! I do miss it on occasion.

:D :D :D

NP diver and I hit alhambra around 9am. Gorgeous smooth warm water. A little greener in color then usual. We struggled against the incoming tide. I forgot to check the bottom temp lol but it was warm. Current was strong. Kept moving me south. Very snotty, viz about 3-6 feet. Lots of seaweed and murcky bottoms. No big boys for me, NP found a nice lil tooth. I found and played with a lil puffer fish. Nice day then watched the rain come in. We watched Ds kayak out in the water as the rain moved in lol. At least we thought it was D.

I found out today my navigating skills are quite good. The viz was a long way from great so needless to say safyre and I became separated. After hunting around in the muck and not finding much of anything I started looking for her. Held breath nope couldn't hear her bubbles. Tapped tank nope nothing. Ok time to surface and find her flag surely we can't be very far apart. I was wrong we were about 200 yds apart. Looked at my compass dropped back down and started swimming. Surfaced at what I thought should have been almost to her. Nope wrong again but I was about half way to her so my navigating was ok so far. Went back down started going again finally stopped at what I figured would be somewhere in her vicinity. Held breath ok I here her bubbles look around and see nothing but whale snot. Back to the surface there's her flag maybe 20 ft west of me. Drop back down swim over tap her leg and pray she doesn't kick me.

Burnt a lot of air because of swimming so hard but at least my navigational skills have greatly improved from when I first started diving. I ended up surfacing and floating around her flag watching bait fish get eaten by other fish (quite a disturbing thing to watch while floating in 20' of water) while she got to keep hunting for teeth. We both had our own flags which I think is good for all divers to have for cases like this where the viz goes from moderate to moderately bad. Although I know I should have looked for her sooner I got lost in the hunt. Safyre has never been on a solo dive so I was a bit worried when I realized we were separated even more so when I saw how far we were separated.

Moral of the story keep close to your buddy even if you both have flags or else one of you is going to do a lot of swimming while the other is having fun. Although I have to admit I did have fun finding out if my navigational skills were up to the task of a 200 yd swim.

Oh yeah one more thing. Sheepshead aren't very bright fish. I saw a group of 3 trying to get at some red sea urchins. The sea urchins were covered in shells so I cleaned one off and set it back down. The fish ignored it and kept at the other 2 urchins that were still protected.

Well it won't let me edit my last post so I'll add in the dive report here that I inadvertently left out of the original post.
Tuesday Aug 25
Alhambra
Dropped down at 9:20am
viz: 5-6 ft at best
temp: 88 degrees at 20ft
surface: calm not quite flat but less than 1ft

straight out from the northern pipes the viz seemed to be the best. As I moved south to find Safyre the viz seemed to diminish quickly down to around 3 - 4 in spots.

WOW what change @ boneyard!!!!!!

Vis in 25ft was bottom to top divers said they could see the boat

winds out of the East 5 knts which made water near perfect calm

a little whale snot but looking down into the water was really clear as well
was Clearest I have seen this year !!!!:D
Out going tide 1pm

8/28/09
Service Club

Seas <1'
Water temp 87
Vis 6'-12'
Wind SW light / thunder storm

took this home

Attachments

• teeth082809.JPG
    teeth082809.JPG
    229.8 KB · Views: 84
29 Aug 09
Boneyard w/ Scubabill (about 500 yards east of aristakat)
Wind WSW 5-10 mph
Tide outgoing
Viz 6 ft
Water Temp 86
Trying out Scubabill's RIB as dive boat, worked great!
We did one dive 82 minutes, one 2" meg and about 50 calico clams.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom