dive report puerto vallarta

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pitah

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Weekend dive report at puerto vallarta area.

general conditions
viz: 15-20 feet / water temp. : 18°C 64°F

1. quijada del diablo @ los arcos
we had calm water conditions but viz was very bad. we went to 130ft. and saw many eels, stone fishes and large fish schools (mainly angel fish, surgeon fish) also a turtle and many small nudibranchs and shrimps. During the surface interval a school of golden rays (7-9) was circling the boat, very nice. Second dive was almost the same, just this time we spent a lot of time on shallow water going trought the channels between the rocks. i took a stage tank with me, and stayed at the end breathing from that while sharing air with my buddy. First time i share air with the 7ft hose, its so confortable to do this. We both were glad to have that configuration, it really works nicely.

2. el banco.
It´s located to 92 km in the western part of Puerto Vallarta.
Its a underwater group of rocks, which minimal depth is 80 feet. It is possible that this submarine mountain could be an Island Maria who did not come to the surface in his geological evolution. From this point and looking at the north one sees the island Maria Cleofas and the island Maria Magdalena.

To come there we took a rapid boat for approximately 2-1/2 hrs. The place itself is unique. Have a very interesting configuration with channels, pinnacles, and caves everywhere. There is a lot of life and the place looks very healty. It was a shame that the viz was so limited. Here we saw huge octopuses, eels and large colored schools of fishes, also i saw the biggest tuna i have ever seen, and others in the group saw the large big tunas school. We were expecting to see some sharks, whales or dolphins, but did not.
Hope to come back to this location soon, maybe at may and will let you know.

regards from sunny mexico

Backtanner, the diving operator i used is vallartech. www.vallartech.com
regards.

buenas dias....

coming from pv mexico. im glad you enjoyd diving here in pv, yes I admid the diving at the moment is a bid cold and murky but it isn´t bad at all, Im an instructor working at Pacific Scuba and I have the time of my life diving here... its a whole lot better here than back home. (holland) and i may go diving again in the morning so if you have any questions about the diving here in pv just let me know and ill be happy to help you out.

best regard and nos vemos pronto

visit us at http://www.pacificscuba.com.mx/

scuba felipe:
buenas dias....

coming from pv mexico. im glad you enjoyd diving here in pv, yes I admid the diving at the moment is a bid cold and murky but it isn´t bad at all, Im an instructor working at Pacific Scuba and I have the time of my life diving here... its a whole lot better here than back home. (holland) and i may go diving again in the morning so if you have any questions about the diving here in pv just let me know and ill be happy to help you out.

best regard and nos vemos pronto

visit us at http://www.pacificscuba.com.mx/

Actually, I'll be talking to you or Ray when we arrive.

Hey I am going to be going to Puerto Vallarta on May 24th - May 31. How is the diving there during that time of the year. Of course this will be the my first dive in an ocean so i am sure it will be A LOT better than anything I have witnessed so far. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Dave

ADaveZ:
Hey I am going to be going to Puerto Vallarta on May 24th - May 31. How is the diving there during that time of the year. Of course this will be the my first dive in an ocean so i am sure it will be A LOT better than anything I have witnessed so far. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Dave

Dave
I was in Vallarta from the 13-20 of April. After reading Rick Inmans report I was very concerned that it was from a worker at Pacific Scuba (and an infomercial...false and biased), but after reading other positive reveiws about them I changed my mind on using another company and used them instead.
Boy, was that the right move!!!! Philip (commented above) was my son's and duaghters instructor for their referral open water dives. They are 15 & 16 years old. He gained their trust and respect almost immediatly and made their certification a time to remember. The entire diving with Pacific Scuba was top notch. I dove 4 dives while they where getting certified and another 2 dives with my son afterwards. We dove 3 sites...sorry about the spelling....Marietta's Isle, Majahuites (best spot for us) and Los Arcos. Visibility was about 20 ft for the first 2 dives, 50 ft at Majahuites and maybe 30-40 ft at Los Arcos. We saw sting rays, octopus, turtles, many eels, spider crabs and more colored fish than I can recount.
Ray, the Manager was very quick on replying to my emails....gave me a super deal on multiple dives, and met us in the morning and after our dives to insure the service was good. (it was awesome!!!!) Amilio was our Captain, doesn,t speak much english, but very competent and we all really liked him. Philip was funny and its obvious he loves his work. He has dry humour that you need to listen closley to, but I could not trust my kids with anyone more professional to get certified with. Alex was our (my son and I) divemaster for the last 2 dives....Very competent and a super good guy. The type of person that knows his stuff well but makes you feel on his level and is concerned about your enjoyment and saftey. I highly, highly recommend these guys.....I spoke to a couple divers we met about a few of the other operators and got a few poor reports on Pacific Scuba's competition. I also met a fellow Canadian in "The Noname Cafe" downtown that has lived in Vallarta for over 10 years and he contracts his services and boat to different dive shops.( He is a divemaster) Although he spoke well about a couple shops, he had very high praise for Pacific Scuba.
The diving gets better (visibility) as the Summer approaches, I'm sure you will love your diving in May.....

Hope this helps

Journey_1000,
Thank you so much for your response. I too have read several posts saying great things about Pacific Scuba and I will probably end up going with them. Right now I am waiting for my dive shop to recommend one as well, so we'll see. There is only one problem with your response and that is now I REALLY cannot wait until I go to Puerto Vallarta.
I really do appreciate your attention to detail as well and I cannot wait to see some of the stuff that you and your son witnessed. I am not 100% sure about which dive site to go to (I will probably only be able to go to one of them because of funds) but right now I am leaning towards going to Las Marietta's islands. I will go and post my experience when I get back. Thank you again.

Dave

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom