Dive report- my first trip to Lobos

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks mdb, except I just got a report that Monterey Bay Aquarium released their female great white yesterday into Monterey Bay. Sure hope they fed her first! Glad I didn't see that report before I left, I may not have spent so much time looking at the litte stuff.
I thought they take the great whites further away when they release them? Bad intell, maybe?

pacificgal: That young girl is probably half way to San Diego by now. :wink:

After my dive club meeting we went out for mexican food and beer, and a guy pushed a napkin across the table at me with a hand-drawn map of Pt. Lobos and asked me to indicate on the napkin where he was. I did my best from my recollection but I want to go again and see if I can find it on my own. I'll have to go soon though, my short term memory really sucks, but it would be fun to go again anyways and try.
I know he's in about 25' of water, up on the reef some, and believe he's on the reef wall facing the interior of the cove, in a crack that sits at about a 45 degree angle from the reef as you're looking at it, and there's a well-worn sea palm next to it, from people holding on to it to look inside the crack (thanks for that landmark, Don).

Thanks for the info! I'd love to dive there sometime soon to look for them again too. Let me know if you need a dive buddy. :D

Michelle,
:) Always love to have a new buddy!
Hard to look at the wave forecast and schedule a weekend at Lobos though, the only wave models I really trust are the 3 day ones, and that doesn't give you enough advance warning. I asked Kathy how that works if you can't make your reservation due to conditions, she said to consider it a donation to an awesome place (paraphrased).
Just got notice that my son's hockey practice is changing from Sunday afternoon's to Friday nights, so, like it or not, my Sunday's just became available all day starting in December, and my
Friday nights will be all messed up.

I'll bring the boat and we'll get out to the good spots. :wink:

That would be great! I can't believe how long it's been since I've been diving at Lobos. :depressed:

Dan, I have to thank you again for taking me to Moss Point. That place was easily the best boat dive I've had out of Monterey, and you said there were plenty more?

Now that I know your diving abilities, I'm more willing to go to more advanced spots.

Point Lobos, although very nice to most people, doesn't rank high up on my list of shore dives. Sure, it has quite a following and the facilities are nice, but IMHO, there are nicer dive spots further south. Nowhere near as easy to get in and out of the water, but if we're talking diving, SOL (South Of Lobos) has better diving.

If we're diving off of the big boat, I can think of quite a few spots that for one reason or another, are more desirable than Point Lobos. But it is what it is.

It is really nice for my little inflatable boat, but I don't dive in or near Whaler's Cove with it. Marcos', Bluefish, Great Pinnacle, Thumbs Up, Half Dome/The Needle are nice spots with the little inflatable.

Moss Cove is the next cove over from Whaler's Cove, nearer to Monastery. That's where we dived on Sunday. :wink:

Michelle, you know you're welcome any time on Dave's or my boat. Just let me know and I'll save a spot for ya. :D

Kristina and Kathy,

Thanks for the fun day diving!

Yes, I took a lot of pictures, but being an absolute noob with strobe and manual settings, nothing really came out. Here's what's partially viewable (and no it was not a night dive, LOL):

091104_lobos.jpg

091104_kathydee.jpg

091104_pacificgal.jpg

091104_kathydee_2.jpg

091104_scratchy.jpg

Let's go out again!

I've looked for Itchy and Scratchy every time I've been diving Middle Reef, but have yet to find them. I'd love it if someone could show me where they are sometime.

Hi Michelle,

I have an idea where they live & it would be fun to go looking with you ;-).

But my schedule is crazy for a while & unless you can slip away for a mid-week dive on Wed, or Fri, time is really tight through the end of my semester in mid December.

Then I'm off for a month - anyone want to go diving !!

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom