Dive Propulsion Vehicle

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So...which would be good for just havin fun? Which is cheapest? (SeaDoo I assume) and where should we purchase them? E-bay has lots. Safe to get there?

scubajoh44:
So...which would be good for just havin fun?
depends on how much fun ya want to have...they're all fun.....just some are a lot more fun than others:D

b.

I have this dive buddy that used one once. He's now addicted. Just got one. Now I'm going to need one too. I understand that they cause your mask to leak. Too much grinning.

Now I either need one and a cave cert, or I need a new dive buddy. :wink:

I wasn't even interested in one untill YOU people started twisting my arm. It's a good thing I've been good this year. My Christmas list is getting longer and more $$$$$ added too. ;0)

See!! Browsing threads DOES have it's price!

More then one way to kill a battery pack. I would suspect that you could do some damage to those Rabbit Tool NiMH batteries by dropping them, and you can fry an SLA pack by leaving it in the car on a hot day (110 F) according to the gavinscooter webpage. I'm sure there are many other "interesting" ways to kill your battery packs aside from a flood. :wink:

cool_hardware52:
What you say about battery cost is true, however the batteries in an X Scooter are much better protected than in all others I've seen. In an X scooter the battery, or batteries are seperated from the motor by a watertight bulkhead. This is important because motor shaft seal failures are common source of floods. In a Gavin, or similar design the unit floods. In a X Scooter the battery does not share the same internal space with the motor. In addition the X scooter does not have a removable nose cone, just the tail section comes off, one less o-ring, one less place to err in assembly.

Tobin

mweitz:
More then one way to kill a battery pack. I would suspect that you could do some damage to those Rabbit Tool NiMH batteries by dropping them, and you can fry an SLA pack by leaving it in the car on a hot day (110 F) according to the gavinscooter webpage. I'm sure there are many other "interesting" ways to kill your battery packs aside from a flood. :wink:

Best way to kill a SLA battery is to leave it fully discharged.......... Lead Acid Batteries, like all batteries self discharge, the key difference is that open circuit self discharge in a Lead Acid battery can lead to non recoverable damage.

The hi-temp thing is curious to me. Lead Acid batteries routinely live in hostile environs like under the hood of cars. May be in Florida in the summer in a AMC Pacer.....

In Sealed Lead Acid batteries there is no way to recharge the electrolyte, if it boils and pushes past the pressure vents, you could be screwed, not to mention battery acid on the rest of the dive gear.

I haven't yet dropped by NImh battery, and would sure like to keep that way, but my guess is that they can stand some rough handling given their delrin case.

Rumor has it that a 2 hour runtime battery, no heavier than the stocker, is being developed for the X.........

Tobin

I bought a seadoo vs supercharged about a year ago and have used it about half a dozen times.Its not bad for the money,I love zipping in and around kelpbeds.For the most part I can get 2 modest dives out of a battery but by the end of the second its getting slow.The only problem I've had was a little water in the battery compartment when I didnt take the time to clean and relube the seals

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom