Dive OPs who enforce 24 hour cancelation policy but can cancel last minute??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't have a problem with a dive op charging me if I cancel within 24 hours of departure, and I would not have a problem with a dive op that had a minimum diver count to launch the boat. I do have a major problem with dive ops that do not notify you that the trip is in danger of being cancelled until you show up at the dock.

I don't really have a problem with it either- their business, their boat, their policy. I'm not going to take it personally but I'll protect my dive trips in every way possible- and that includes a) scheduling with Ops that have a low or no minimum policy or b) book dives with several dive Ops, and then calling a couple of days before, checking who has got enough divers and cancel the rest. Doesn't do them any good, that's for sure, but THEY started it.

I would always be willing to pay for one ghost diver, given as you said the costs of just getting there and what would be a lost opportunity to dive. What's an extra $70 anyway. Funny thing, none of the Dive Ops even mention that possibility but if you say "well I can pay for an extra diver if necessary" they all say "of course".
Uhmm. No. Never.

Have you ever had to pay extra for your meal in a half empty restaurant? Not going to happen. Ever. Why does anyone think scuba diving is special?

We need to get over ourselves. Us scuba people are not as special as we want to believe. Both us divers and scuba operators.

Valid business plans need to account for seasonal issues. If you are open for business then you are open for business. In the high season you make a killing. In the low season you have a decision:
- we are closed
- we are open

, checking who has got enough divers and cancel the rest.....

The diving industry is very very small and Everybody knows Everybody.
Every diver develops a "reputation" that is well known. For me>> I absolutely have never canceled on a dive boat in the last 20 years, Never. Not Once. I don't want to be known as "That guy".
But if my business meeting is changed, I've called boats up at the last minute and asked "Got 1 seat?",,just to be told "Nope"

Uhmm. No. Never.

Have you ever had to pay extra for your meal in a half empty restaurant? Not going to happen. Ever. Why does anyone think scuba diving is special?

We need to get over ourselves. Us scuba people are not as special as we want to believe. Both us divers and scuba operators.

Valid business plans need to account for seasonal issues. If you are open for business then you are open for business. In the high season you make a killing. In the low season you have a decision:
- we are closed
- we are open
Your comparison is not valid. There is rarely one customer in a restaurant in a day.

Worse than that is when a boat takes your group reservations, but cancels you and your group, because, as we figured out, a larger group wants to charter the boat.

Had this happen twice in Pensacola last year, which prompted me to ask a third dive op if that was common there. The response was apparently so. One of those ops rescheduled us to a time of his choosing, that we were not available for, without even contacting us. We did not go with them then and will not go with them in the future. They have several trip advisor reviews (if you believe those) where they had done a similar thing to other groups. Wish we had read those at the time.

On the other hand, there a great guys like captain Ralph. Not only did he help us place our remaining divers on another boat, but he also gave a guy a free trip when that diver showed up unexpectedly and had to be pushed to the next trip.

Last edited:
Your comparison is not valid. There is rarely one customer in a restaurant in a day.
My analagy ia valid. Running a dive op is simple compared to the food trade (although dive gear inventory may get a bit stinky, it does not rot and turn slimy). There is zero customers for many restaurants (and they do often turn out the light's and go home a bit early in that case).

I had a vacation a few weeks ago. Of our top 3 choices for dinner 2 were closed for the month. A local shoe store was also closed for a month. These business had a valid plan.

If you are open for business, then you are open....

I don't really have a problem with it either- their business, their boat, their policy. I'm not going to take it personally but I'll protect my dive trips in every way possible- and that includes a) scheduling with Ops that have a low or no minimum policy or b) book dives with several dive Ops, and then calling a couple of days before, checking who has got enough divers and cancel the rest. Doesn't do them any good, that's for sure, but THEY started it.
Yes, I admit I have used that strategy. I respect the dive op's need to make a go of it, but that really is not related to my wallet or convenience. In fact, I've used that plan securing a dive buddy for shore dives away from home when snowbirding. If more than one actually can meet me and dive, then we have a group of 3 (I guess, hasn't happened YET....again, I do look out for numero uno).

His comparison is nothing more than a similar analogy.

It certainly IS valid. While I'd pay for a ghost diver to save my trip, I'd probably never dive with that Op again.

It's a matter of customer service. Sure a dive Op might lose some money on a trip here or there but in the long run they'd have more business because they'd be known as the "go to boat" for vacationing divers that don't want their trips ruined because a captain doesn't want to run at a loss and fails to see the big picture.

A better analogy is a half empty airplane. They don't do it, neither should dive boat captains.

Alex-Simon1.jpg

Uhmm. No. Never.

- we are closed
- we are open
Kind of Black & White, but a very good point. Again, I have no problem with the dive op cancelling as long as they keep me in the loop of at least that possibility several days beforehand--with our 7 or 14 day weather forecasts and marine forecasts available online these days. Or the possibility of not enough divers--then you get into "what-ifs". If I'm told 3 days ahead that there are still only 3 divers signed up and they're hopeful on a 4th and I say to my wife "Sure, let's plan the trip over to Nola for Mardi Gras" since the one possible dive this month of Feb. may not go---then I do want a full refund. Give & take, both ways.
But as I say, I basically agree with your point. Open for business--within reason. In the case I just mentioned, the dive op should say to that 4th person "Look, we have 3 others waiting, I need to know if your going or not, or at least I need your non-refundable fee, so I can tell these others what's up". Same idea with shops and students regarding courses.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom