Dive OPs who enforce 24 hour cancelation policy but can cancel last minute??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Take you scuba gear and go some where else were this is NOT common.

In our early travels as vacation divers we encountered a few operations that advertised 1 night dive each week - but only if enough divers signed up and paid a bit extra. These night dives never happened. It took a while for us to realize that.

We no longer give our business to these operators. All of the operators we currently use honor EVERY pre-paid dive that we book. Regardless of the number of people signing up. I have been on a LOB with just 4 people. I have also been on a day boat that can hold 20 divers with only the 2 of us on board many times.

You have a choice where you spend your money.

What do you think of Dive Ops who have the policy that if you do not cancel within a 24 hour window of the scheduled dive, you will be charged full price for the dive, however that same dive Op reserves the right to cancel on the diver right up until the evening before a morning dive- simply because there aren't a minimum number of divers?

I can totally understand why this can be being annoying if it happens a lot.

I don't dive from boats on vacation very often aside from zodiacs. When I do intend to dive from a boat I prefer to connect up with local fishermen who are set up to support divers. They are often more inclined to combine different activities, like diving, fishing and sight-seeing...... On one occasion we did this from Puerto Escondido and while we were diving the ladies (who were not divers) got to watch a couple of orca's and a sea turtle nearby. that isn't always possible but my point is to try thinking out of the box if you're in a place where the shop(s) is unreliable due to a lack of divers. It should also be clear that not all fishermen are familiar with having divers in the water so don't do this if you're not able to take part in organizing it to be safe.

I any case I think communication is the key. The shop should be clear up front that they need a minimum number of divers and that the dive will be confirmed the day before (or evening before). I think there is a general understanding among divers that the shop can't just pump money into every dive if they expect to survive. Most shops run on very small margins so if it's happening a lot with one shop then look for a different one, I guess.... or talk to fishermen :)

Also, there are several reasons a boat might not go out, among which is weather. Safety always takes precedence over other considerations. If a dive gets cancelled because the shop can't find a qualified team for the day then this too is annoying but understandable.

R..

Thanks for the responses. Of course I understand there are reasons for cancelation other than lack of divers, that are beyond the control of the Dive Op and I don't fault them for that at all, who would?

There were a lot of valid scenarios presented on this thread any one of which is more reasonable than what I have experienced, I can't imagine why other Dive Ops don't follow those guidelines, they probably lose a lot of business from vacation divers who don't want to risk losing a precious dive day.

I'm surprised to hear that it isn't common. After having this experience in the Keys, and now booking a trip next month to the Boynton Beach area and hearing no less than 5 dive Ops saying they won't run with less than 4 divers I am thinking this is the norm.

Anyway I'm booked with a Dive Op in Boyton Beach for the second week in March, I won't state any Dive Op names because again I don't want to be thought of as posting only to promote or disparage, but this one shop said "Heck I'll take you even if you're the only diver". He has my business and probably always will. Reminds me I still have to cancel with one of the others who said "we don't leave the dock with less than 4 and right now you are the only diver scheduled".

I'm surprised to hear that it isn't common.
It is common in South Florida to require 4 divers for a boat to run. What is less common is requiring a non-refundable registration fee. I have never encountered it. If I ran into a shop that took full payment if you cancel within 24 hours and then cancels the tour for everyone else even if they have four payments, I would never use that shop for anything again. As I said before, I consider it unethical, and I choose not to patronize unethical organizations.

Perhaps I was not clear in my initial description.

The Dive Ops I spoke to reserve the right to cancel the dive right up until the last minute, at least one said sometimes they don't know until the evening before and I've read on this thread that some divers don't know until they show up at the boat!

These same Dive Ops will not refund if the dive still goes out, if the diver didn't cancel within 24 hours of the time of the scheduled dive. If the dive is canceled for any reason they will refund even if the diver does not cancel prior to the 24 hour window.

Perhaps I was not clear in my initial description.

The Dive Ops I spoke to reserve the right to cancel the dive right up until the last minute, at least one said sometimes they don't know until the evening before and I've read on this thread that some divers don't know until they show up at the boat!

These same Dive Ops will not refund if the dive still goes out, if the diver didn't cancel within 24 hours of the time of the scheduled dive. If the dive is canceled for any reason they will refund even if the diver does not cancel prior to the 24 hour window.
I would not dive with such an operator, and since I am close enough to be in danger of doing so because of my location, I would appreciate it if you would provide the name.

I would not dive with such an operator, and since I am close enough to be in danger of doing so because of my location, I would appreciate it if you would provide the name.

Lost Reef Adventures in Key West.

Lots of good & varying replies from people more versed than me. I will say that I was once scheduled on a boat which had 4 signed up. One backed out (don't know how close to departure date), and he still took the 3 of us. He said he didn't feel right cancelling on us the last minute and would maybe just break even. My kinda guy.
Weather of course has always been another factor on the FL panhandle in winter, but usually the boat captain would be very thorough checking the forecast and I can't recall ever being told anything but "Looks good now, but lets touch base the night before".
Other than weather, I think it works both ways. If the captain is unable to make a firm commitment to the date, OR has a valid reason for last minute cancelling (sickness in family, etc.) OK. Likewise for the customer. Suddenly you got sick (OK, the dive op may even ask for a Dr.'s note if they wish). Or perhaps even with an obviously good excuse, you only get a partial refund (assuming you already paid, another area to discuss).
You have to be reasonable on both sides. And of course as stated, understand the dive op's economics.
I have run into a similar situation back when I was taking courses. "Oops, can't do Rescue in Sept., the instructor's away, let's re-schedule for Oct". That's OK if some friends from out West didn't plan a week's visit the same week in Oct.
Number of students in a course also affects whether it goes or not. Again, if a student needs to cancel all well and good IF
the excuse is reasonable--not "I'm just too busy this weekend to fit it in". Again, a nonrefundable deposit may be a way to go.
With all this stuff there can be fault on both sides.

Last edited:
Lost Reef Adventures in Key West.
I'm a little shocked. Unless no one was going, the Key West operators will put you on each other's boat.

I'm a little shocked. Unless no one was going, the Key West operators will put you on each other's boat.

Maybe so but that option was not provided. The person I spoke to was all about making sure I understand the cancellation policy than anything else.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom