Dive OPs who enforce 24 hour cancelation policy but can cancel last minute??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Maybe so but that option was not provided. The person I spoke to was all about making sure I understand the cancellation policy than anything else.
I am not doubting your story. I am closely involved with another Key West operator. We put people on their boat all the time when we only have 2.

My comments refer to the Key Largo area where all my Keys dives are.
-It is not unusual for folks to just show up in the morning and try to get on a boat. Have seen this a number of times. Probably to avoid having a commitment. So the boats do not always know the number of divers until that morning.
-The 4 or 5 boats I have gone out with all clearly put their rules online
-I will often check with the dive op (do this in NC also) a day ahead and see how full the boat is. For some dive ops this information is available on line. Can show you if enough divers or if shop is praying for some last minute divers.
-They have new owners so I do not know now, but Ocean Divers used to require two divers min and they have large boats. Was one reason I booked with them a lot.
-On a couple of ocassions I have bought a ghost diver. Given all the other costs room, plane, etc it was worth it to make the dive go.
-Check into the dive op early if possible. If there is an unexpected cancelation ranging from boat trouble to whatever it gives you time to get jumped onto another boat. Another reason I go to Key largo. Lots of boats going out.

On a couple of ocassions I have bought a ghost diver. Given all the other costs room, plane, etc it was worth it to make the dive go..

I would always be willing to pay for one ghost diver, given as you said the costs of just getting there and what would be a lost opportunity to dive. What's an extra $70 anyway. Funny thing, none of the Dive Ops even mention that possibility but if you say "well I can pay for an extra diver if necessary" they all say "of course".

A few years ago we were booked for a night dive with a Key Largo dive op. When they didn't have enough for the boat to go out they got us onto another dive op's boat. All's well that ends well. We would have preferred our first choice but felt we were treated fairly.

I'm not sure small business owners really understand how much good will will buy you in return business and referrals. I don't see us ever going to Boynton Beach, but if we do I will be contacting the OP to find out the name of the op that said "Heck I'll take you even if you're the only diver."! Some people get it, and some people ... don't.

I would always be willing to pay for one ghost diver, given as you said the costs of just getting there and what would be a lost opportunity to dive. What's an extra $70 anyway. Funny thing, none of the Dive Ops even mention that possibility but if you say "well I can pay for an extra diver if necessary" they all say "of course".

First ever trip to the Keys. In fact it was only the second or third dive post cert. Had flown down from NC. Had booked with dive op at Pennekamp because I had heard of Pennekamp and knew nothing about Keys. One other single guy from Chicago showed up. That was it, boat required four to go. Corporate policy. Other guy and I had agreed that if nobody else showed up we would each buy a ghost. The two of us and our two ghosts had two awesome dives out at French reef. Calm seas. Great viz. Lots of fish life.

If service was good, I personally think that ghosts should tip also.

. I don't see us ever going to Boynton Beach, but if we do I will be contacting the OP to find out the name of the op that said "Heck I'll take you even if you're the only diver."!

Kimela I need to clarify and correct. I went back to my vacation notes for my upcoming trip and what he actually said was, "I lose money with 2, I break even at 3, I turn a profit at 4, but I'll take you and your girlfriend even if there are no other divers".

So I can't actually say he'd go with one diver. Sorry for the error.

..Just curious how you guys handle it.....
Remember it's diving and to talk to your dive boat OFTEN. ALL dive boat captains in a town talk to each other about passengers. Burn one dive operator and 3-5 other boats in the same town heard about you.

You don't want to be on the list that is>
" Sorry,,We're full ",,,even if online shows lots of spots.

And with today's computer's showing all the notes and behavior in each diver's profile, careful what you say/post cause you may hear "Sorry, We're full"

Talking to your boat more OFTEN is the answer.

I don't have a problem with a dive op charging me if I cancel within 24 hours of departure, and I would not have a problem with a dive op that had a minimum diver count to launch the boat. I do have a major problem with dive ops that do not notify you that the trip is in danger of being cancelled until you show up at the dock. In this era of cell phones, texts, and emails, there is little excuse for not making every effort to notify the diver that the trip is in danger of cancellation. I could be wrong, but I think more than a few dive ops are happy to pocket the cancellation fees , refund the diver who shows up, and not have to spend a dime taking out the boat. It is a shame, but some dive ops are neither business people or "people" people.

... buy a ghost. .
We're spearo's.
If there are not enough divers on the boat, we made sure the captain and crew shared very very well in our harvest and to bring some huge smiles to their wives.

Back
Top Bottom