Dive Ops for noobs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Machiavelli:
I'm heading to Cozumel in August. My girlfriend and I will have just completed our open water certification and dont want to ruin anybody's dive due to our inexperience. Does anyone know, of all the Coz dive ops, which one would be best suited to people as new as ourselves?
I PM'd you!
Send Christy at BXTS an application, now. Their availability fills up fast!
www.bluextseadiving.com

We dove last week with Hector at Deep Blue, Blue xt~sea was full. We had an amazing time, and this was our first ocean dive.

I was in Coz earlier this summer and dove with Deep Blue. They were fantastic. They use small boats with fewer passengers - not the cattle boats. The guides were excellent.

My travel companion completed his Open Water cert with Deep Blue -- Luis was the instructor. He is a great teacher -- very knowledgable and friendly. He shared numerous diving and safety tips from his years of experience - advice you don't get from a textbook or typical instructor. The course was very personalized - he was the only student.

I would highly recommmend Deep Blue & Luis.

It has been said before that as a "rule of thumb" any of the Cozumel Dive Ops with Blue in the name are good!

I have used Deep Blue on two separate vacations, and I know some friends that have used them numerous times in the past. We have been very pleased with Deep Blue. Of course, I have no other Cozumel experiences to compare to, but I would definitely use them and recommend them.

They bill themselves as "Extended Range Diving" and they definitely can handle experienced dives and divers, but they also instruct. Some places may have more experience with newbies, but from my experiences, the Deep Blue Instructors are good.

---------------------------------
I suggest that the single most important thing (regardless of what dive op you select) is to be up front with your situation: Let them know that you are a newbie, what fears or concerns you have etc. Most dive ops will try to accomodate you, but only if you communicate with them. Neither your nor the dive op wants any "surprises".

Don't be afraid to ask questions if you are not sure about something. Many divers in Cozumel are "Repeat Offenders" like myself. We kinda know what to do, where to go etc. Some newbies watch out of the corner of their eye, and try to follow along. When in doubt, ask.

Relax and enjoy!

Wristshot

Machiavelli:
My girlfriend and I will have just completed our open water certification and dont want to ruin anybody's dive due to our inexperience.
Scuba Du is experienced at handling new divers and divers that do just a couple dives per year while on vacation.

Most dive ops that run multiple boats will make an attempt to group divers by experience level. Dive with Martin could be a good choice --- not one of the huge dive ops, but still big enough to have several boats and the ability to group divers by their experience.

Another couple of possibilities to consider are either hiring a private DM, or doing an AOW course with your private instructor.

A good way to start off your dive trip is with one of the afternoon boats, which typically go just to shallower reefs like Paradise.

Be open and honest about your experience, or lack thereof, with the boat crew, DMs, and buddies.

Wristshot had good advice, he always does. I liked Deep Blue alot for my first Cozumel trip. First thing, I made it clear to the DM my experience level and my eagerness to learn and improve on every dive. He seemed to appreciate knowing that.
I was with a group of advanced divers and wanted it to be known that I was not as experienced. I thinks it's a mistake to have a big ego when diving and not be upfront about your skill level. On my first couple dives my buoyancy was not good and I struggled with my safety stops. I got good advice from the DM as well as helpful suggestions about getting trapped air out of my BC. I corrected my technique and weighting and learned to invert myself to release trapped air using the rear dump on my BC. I use that technique alot now.
What impressed me with the Deep Blue DM's and my advanced diving friends, was that I was always treated like one of the guys even though it was my first week of ocean and drift diving.
The cool thing about diving every day for a week in Cozumel was that I learned so much in a short time. Ended up doing some advanced dives too !
Rex

I'll second Scuba-Du as a rational choice if you're staying at the Melia since they have a dive shop right next door at the El Cozumeleno. Having dove with them last year, plus some of the other ops mentioned (all great) -- Wristshot's advice applies no matter who you select.

I really appreciate all the fantastic advice everyone has given. I have some good info to work with now. One question to bcaderunr: Are you sure Scuba-Du is still located at El Cozumeleno? According to their website they're now located at Hotel Presidente Inter-Continental, which is much farther down south. Do they have two locations?

Machiavelli:
I really appreciate all the fantastic advice everyone has given. I have some good info to work with now. One question to bcaderunr: Are you sure Scuba-Du is still located at El Cozumeleno? According to their website they're now located at Hotel Presidente Inter-Continental, which is much farther down south. Do they have two locations?
They are large enough to have two locations, though the one at the Presidente is their main base of operation and the one at El Coz is more of a satellite shop.

I dove with them at "El Coz" 6 months ago. Dive Op Manager is: Antonio Madrazo (987) 872-9530 ext. 8 Email: oceantours@usa.net

What impressed me most was that when we were there, El Norte was-a-blowin', yet they still showed up with a boat (on time) each morning and paid for our cab ride back to the El Coz from El Presidente afterwards instead of subjecting us to a tooth-rattling ride back on the water. We did the 2-days, 2-tank package. Cost: $121 and it turned out to be on a small, fast boat. Nice folks, too -- but that's also true of all the good ops already mentioned.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom