Dive operator near ferry?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mcbrandt

Registered
Reaction score
Is there a reputable dive operator near the ferry on Cozumel? We are vacationing in Cancun and would like to come over on the ferry on our own (instead of booking one of those 7am-6pm trips to Cozumel thru Manta or Aquaworld). We know the logistics of getting from Cancun to Playa and then taking the ferry across. Two concerns: (1) Is there a good dive operator near the ferry? (we'll be without transporation once we arrive in Cozumel - although I guess we could always cab it!) and (2) Does anyone know of any Cozumel operators that do a late morning 2-tank dive (so that we can allow for time to make the trip over....we wouldn't be able to make any 8-9am departures...I'm thinking we won't even get into Cozumel until 10am or later)? Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Two suggestions:
1. Take a taxi. Relatively cheap, and it's not too far south to get to many dive operator piers, e.g. 5 minutes to Caribe Blu.
2. Send email. Most shops in Coz are pretty responsive to email and can tell you definitively whether they can accomodate your timing.

-Simon

mcbrandt:
(2) Does anyone know of any Cozumel operators that do a late morning 2-tank dive (so that we can allow for time to make the trip over....we wouldn't be able to make any 8-9am departures...I'm thinking we won't even get into Cozumel until 10am or later)? Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

That could be a problem; I don't know of any ops that routinely go out at that time. Most, if not all, dive ops start their morning dives at 8 or so; many of them also do afternoon dives, and starting at 10 or 11 would keep them from doing that. If there are enough of you to fill a boat, then you might be able to book a special dive, but failing that, I'd advise getting up and out early enough to catch an early ferry across from Playa, or settle for an afternoon dive..

mcbrandt:
Is there a reputable dive operator near the ferry on Cozumel? We are vacationing in Cancun and would like to come over on the ferry on our own (instead of booking one of those 7am-6pm trips to Cozumel thru Manta or Aquaworld). We know the logistics of getting from Cancun to Playa and then taking the ferry across. Two concerns: (1) Is there a good dive operator near the ferry? (we'll be without transporation once we arrive in Cozumel - although I guess we could always cab it!) and (2) Does anyone know of any Cozumel operators that do a late morning 2-tank dive (so that we can allow for time to make the trip over....we wouldn't be able to make any 8-9am departures...I'm thinking we won't even get into Cozumel until 10am or later)? Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

I wouldn't worry too much about transportation once you get to Cozumel. Cabs are relatively cheap. You should correspond with several dive shops before you go down and ask them about picking you at a convenient pier so your cab ride won't be so long. Most will stop at just about any hotel pier for divers. One of the closest to downtown is Hotel Baracuda.

You may find some shops that will wait till 10am for a departure. One that comes to mind that might do that for you if they aren't too busy is Eagle Ray. Otherwise, you might as well plan on an afternoon dive departing at 1pm or so. You're best bet for that is probably one of the larger shops like Dive Paradise.

JK

http://www.mxtravel.com/cozumel/cozumel_diving.html

Aldora is a two-minute walk from the ferry pier and are receptive to charters if you have three or more divers. We did it coming off a cruise ship and it was the best two dives I have ever had in Cozumel.

yak:
If you can get to PDC on a Monday by 8:30am, Tank-ha has their own boat to Coz, so you can avoid the ferry rides, and be back to PDC after a 2 tank dive by around 1:30 (according to their website http://tankha.com/dive_cozumel.html ). Might be worth getting up early for.

I don't see how they can keep that schedule from PdC; it's virtually the same as for a six-pack picking you up at your hotel on the island. Personally, I wouldn't be too keen on making that crossing on a dive boat. If it's a six-pack, it would be very uncomfortable, and if it's a cattle boat, it'll probably take a couple of hours each way. The ferries are big, stable, and fast. They start running at about 6 am.

Another thing you might consider is grabbing a cheap room and staying the night before on Cozumel.

Gordon, Here's what they say on their website:

"The Cozumel dive trip leaves from the Tank-Ha Dive Center in Playa del Carmen every Monday, or other days by request for groups of 6 or more divers. Divers meet at the Tank-Ha Dive Center at 8:30 AM for a 9:00 AM departure Mondays. The boat will return around 1:30 PM. Please reserve at least a day in advance.

The dive trip goes over to the National Marine Park of Cozumel with our fast, twin engine, 300 HP, fully equipped (VHF radio, oxygen and first aid kit, fresh water shower) Xaman-ha boat. Maximum 10 divers. Guided dives. Navigation time to the National Marine Park of Cozumel from Playa del Carmen is about 40 minutes"

I'm going to try it in April so I'll let you know what it ends up being. It's appealing to me as I can get back to my non-diving family sooner. I agree, the ride over will be a pounder even on a larger boat.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom