Dive op with great rental equipment, small boats, gear storage?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dear Chief,

Does Alison go all the way up with the out of air diver and make sure they are at the boat, then go right back down? If so she's a lot tougher than I was, even in my prime. I did that a few times but ended up hurting my ears repeatedly.

Dave Dillehay

Dave Dillehay

Proving the part about it often being the diver's fault....

I did think of another reason for confusion: Op Swap. Last trip for instance we picked up a diver because his booked op only had one diver that day, so his DM worked it out for that diver to go with us since he would have lost money to take out one diver. He just met us and the boat that morning, so maybe he might forget who he was with?
I hope those people who forget the name of the dive op (and boat, for multiple-boat dive ops) remember to occasionally check their gauges/computer. It's really not that much information to process. Maybe dive ops should pin a note to divers' wetsuits just like mothers do with small children: "Hi, my name is _______, I am lost. Please contact my dive op at XXX-XXXX so I can be returned safely home. Thank you."

Reactions: FT
Odds are fair anyone diving off a cruise ship who booked the dives on the ship and not directly with the dive operation could easily not know the name of the dive operator.

Dive boats have a name???

Odds are fair anyone diving off a cruise ship who booked the dives on the ship and not directly with the dive operation could easily not know the name of the dive operator.

That was my thought as well. People should at least remember the boat name...or dive op. Between the two they can be reunited.

Last week the name "Gaviota" (not sure of spelling) kept running through my mind. Took a few hours before I realized it was a boat name I saw on coz. I think it is one of daves boats at chen rio. I have never dove from that boat, but it's name was stuck in my head over a thousand miles away and 11 months since my last trip to coz. This was not the only time this has happened, but with different boat names.

I'd hardly expect all divers to remember the dive boat name, but surely the dive operator they should. But sadly, that is no always the case. I guess it is usually Cruise ship divers who book through the cruise line...but not always. Go figure!

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

Last week the name "Gaviota" (not sure of spelling) kept running through my mind. Took a few hours before I realized it was a boat name I saw on coz. I think it is one of daves boats at chen rio. I have never dove from that boat, but it's name was stuck in my head over a thousand miles away and 11 months since my last trip to coz. This was not the only time this has happened, but with different boat names.

Whoa. :cool2:

Dear Chief,

Does Alison go all the way up with the out of air diver and make sure they are at the boat, then go right back down? If so she's a lot tougher than I was, even in my prime. I did that a few times but ended up hurting my ears repeatedly.

Dave Dillehay

Dave Dillehay

Yep, she take up and pops the SMB for them and stays until the Maximus clearly has them and is moving to retrieve them. Personally my ears would never take that either. Of course she tries to avoid surfacing. She has her SMB marked at 15 feet. More then just going up and down, she will drag divers on the SS along to stay over the group until their 3 minutes are up. She is tough.

I'd hardly expect all divers to remember the dive boat name, but surely the dive operator they should. But sadly, that is no always the case. I guess it is usually Cruise ship divers who book through the cruise line...but not always. Go figure!

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

Correct, not always the case as with myself and wife, we booked with you.

---------- Post added October 31st, 2013 at 08:32 AM ----------

Look, when air sharing with divers getting low on air, our DMs only do that when one of the small bunch gets to 1000 PSI quickly, which is not normally an emergency situation. ONce others get to 1000 psi, that ends and a slow ascent to a safety stop (hopefully over shallow coral) begins. WE only share air with the DM to extend the dive for all in the small group of 6 divers. In 20 years of this procedure we have had (ZERO) problems and all divers have averaged over 1 hour 10 minutes per tank including deep and shallow dives.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

I can personally attest to that

Hector the DM at Liquid Blue shared air on a couple dives and our group was able to enjoy 70-75 minute. I saw no safety issues with this procedure.

Back
Top Bottom