Dive Master Training, Swim Test went back in class

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If that doesn't work, wait until they've tired themselves out and then intervene.

One of my collateral duties on my first ship was SAR boat officer. We had pulled some folks out of the drink, a couple fell overboard and a couple jumped overboard....what I learned was how surprisingly fast a person panicking in the water tires out. One will not have to wait long for this to occur to begin getting things positively under control.

-Z

As others have said, swimming is so much about technique and so little about strength. Your body position in the water makes worlds of difference. Things like looking too far ahead vs down, head position while breathing, arms crossing your midline etc. all have a big impact on your efficiency. Videos can help but it's one of those things where you think you're doing it right, but seeing yourself on video or through the eyes of a coach will prove otherwise. Get a few lessons and keep practicing.

There's a shortcut.

In the Netherlands, the local CMAS agency operates under the name NOB. A couple of years ago, the NOB completely dropped the fitness requirements for the 3-star course. When I asked one of the board members during a phone call why , she told me that too many older divers were unable to meet the requirements.
Although CMAS states that there must be some fitness test and fitness requirements, the NOB has none.

A 3-star CMAS diver is considered the same as DiveMaster. Wanna become a DM without fitness tests? Here is your shortcut.
If you ever see a Dutch 3-star diver as your divemaster, and you wonder if (s)he would survive a 400m swim, don't.

(just think of the silent k)
Very interesting and not good! I've never heard of that. My suggestions years ago for making the PADI DM tests more relevant to what a DM would be doing did not include eliminating them, or making them easier overall.

Thinks I would've passed easily the first time on the 400 had I trained (which was long and costly for me). Figured I'd breeze through it having been on the HS swim team 39 years earlier. Nope.

The waterman ship swim was hard. I got through it. This weekend I am going out on a check out dive to finish my class. If everything goes well I will be a dive master next week.

The waterman ship swim was hard. I got through it. This weekend I am going out on a check out dive to finish my class. If everything goes well I will be a dive master next week.

Well-done on the swim tests and good luck for next week!

Thank you the only thing that is left is two dive briefings and that should be it

Remember, apart from covering the points listed on your slate, the brief should be...... brief. A nice touch is ask your team if they have anything to add.

Remember, apart from covering the points listed on your slate, the brief should be...... brief. A nice touch is ask your team if they have anything to add.
Thanks for the tips I need to slow down I try to go to fast. But I do hit the main safety points

Back
Top Bottom