Dive Master Training, Swim Test went back in class

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I did my swims for SDI last night and although I knew what to expect I'm still a bit disappointed. One of my other DMC's advised on using full-foot fins because it helped him take 2 minutes off his time but I couldn't seem to find a pair available to me to use and wasn't about to spend money on them to use one time. So I used a pair of Tusa Zoom splits and was actually pleasantly surprised but how easy they were to kick. I had a pair when I started diving but then decided on a pair of Hollis F1's because they provide more thrust with each stroke and allow frog, backwards, etc. But they're extremely heavy a 3 lbs negative. I think kicking those big heavy fins for nearly two years, though, has helped my legs get stronger because kicking the splits seemed pretty effortless. Needless to say I did pass the 800 MSF but not with a time I'm very happy with. With SDI there's no points rating. It's a pass/fail. I doubt I'll do it again because it's not necessary, but I would've liked a faster time. I started off with a good pace but I'm guessing I slowed up in the latter half. But bottom line....I passed.

Then there's the 400.....I couldn't even finish it. And I attempted it before the 800. I got about 75y into it and my arms just wouldn't pull anymore. I pretty well expected the 400 would be my downfall because I haven't trained for it. And obviously I was right. I attempted it really more than anything just to find out where I stand so I know where I need to improve. And more than building up my arms for it, I need to work on my stroke. They told me my arms were more out to the side rather than straight in front of my head. And when my arm hit the water it pretty much stopped rather than pulling all the way through the stroke. Then there was my breathing. I never could seem to get into a good rhythm. So with all of that combined, I was really probably working harder than I needed to and wore myself out. So time to start getting in the pool and swimming.....I'll get there.

Unfortunately many years of swimming led to other issues, including rotator cuff problems in both shoulders. I have had to give up swimming and miss the time in the pool, but the time I did spend swimming lengths was time well spent.

Divegoose
@Divegoose if you really miss swimming maybe you would like to try swimming like I do. I have a shoulder injury from yoga but my swimming style doesn’t irritate it.

What I do is always wear pool (or scuba) swim fins, and mostly swim with my legs.

Sometimes I use my arms, but gently, legs provide most of the power. I swim mostly underwater and lately I’ve been wearing a freediving mask, before that an aqua sphere swim mask. With the freediving mask I can swim underwater upside down and water doesn’t enter my nose, plus it is training me not to use my nose for exhalation so when I actually freedive I am already comfortable with that.

Sometimes I bring booties and Jetfins instead of pool fins. In the summer I swim in the ocean. I swim very relaxed and kind of slow. I alternate kicks including dolphin. People regularly comment I look like a mermaid. You could do this! Scuba divers don’t use their arms to swim anyway. Swimming this way also gives you awesome legs, ass, and abs. ;-) It is very peaceful and meditative.

I did my swims for SDI last night and although I knew what to expect I'm still a bit disappointed. One of my other DMC's advised on using full-foot fins because it helped him take 2 minutes off his time but I couldn't seem to find a pair available to me to use and wasn't about to spend money on them to use one time. So I used a pair of Tusa Zoom splits and was actually pleasantly surprised but how easy they were to kick. I had a pair when I started diving but then decided on a pair of Hollis F1's because they provide more thrust with each stroke and allow frog, backwards, etc. But they're extremely heavy a 3 lbs negative. I think kicking those big heavy fins for nearly two years, though, has helped my legs get stronger because kicking the splits seemed pretty effortless. Needless to say I did pass the 800 MSF but not with a time I'm very happy with. With SDI there's no points rating. It's a pass/fail. I doubt I'll do it again because it's not necessary, but I would've liked a faster time. I started off with a good pace but I'm guessing I slowed up in the latter half. But bottom line....I passed.

Then there's the 400.....I couldn't even finish it. And I attempted it before the 800. I got about 75y into it and my arms just wouldn't pull anymore. I pretty well expected the 400 would be my downfall because I haven't trained for it. And obviously I was right. I attempted it really more than anything just to find out where I stand so I know where I need to improve. And more than building up my arms for it, I need to work on my stroke. They told me my arms were more out to the side rather than straight in front of my head. And when my arm hit the water it pretty much stopped rather than pulling all the way through the stroke. Then there was my breathing. I never could seem to get into a good rhythm. So with all of that combined, I was really probably working harder than I needed to and wore myself out. So time to start getting in the pool and swimming.....I'll get there.
FWIW I'd suggest your problem in the 400 was related to not breaking through to your "second wind ". I swim 1000 yards 3-5 times a week, and the first 200 are the worst. IIRC correctly it takes time for your body to switch from anaerobic to aerobic metabolism.

Sounds like you're not reaching out in front on your stroke. Maybe take a lesson, or have someone film you, or find online "how to improve your swimming" advice.

I was never on a swim team, though, so take this advice with a grain of salt.

Fin swimming is totally different that arm swimming. Why are DMs training as surface arm swimmers? Scuba divers swim with their legs. If you were rescuing someone your hands would be busy anyway. Wouldn’ it make more sense to swim underwater with legs, maybe holding stuff?

I am not doing good on the swim tests and currently in a class. I completed them but got a low low score for the 15 treat and 400 yard swim. Any thoughts on how I can recover and still pass the class? I am starting to stress. I haven't swam in years but in am good shape and workout a lot. My technique with swimming is just bad. Thoughts?

So did you eventually pass your swim tests? I trained for mine and if I can successfully become a DM and do those swims at 51 years old I'm sure you can too. Good Luck!

FWIW I'd suggest your problem in the 400 was related to not breaking through to your "second wind ". I swim 1000 yards 3-5 times a week, and the first 200 are the worst. IIRC correctly it takes time for your body to switch from anaerobic to aerobic metabolism.

Sounds like you're not reaching out in front on your stroke. Maybe take a lesson, or have someone film you, or find online"how to improve your swimming" advice.

I was nevvnon a swim team, though, so take this advice with a grain of salt.
I think I was a bit defeated before I ever got in the water. I wasn't in the right mindset and was pretty certain I couldn't do the 400. I knew my breathing was off, I knew my arms weren't going to hold out and now I know that yes indeed my stroke was way off. A couple of my classmates have offered to swim with me and help me perfect my stroke but I think more than anything else I just need to start getting my body back in shape. Maybe some resistance training and weight lifting for my arms. Maybe running for endurance and breathing.

Fin swimming is totally different that arm swimming. Why are DMs training as surface arm swimmers? Scuba divers swim with their legs. If you were rescuing someone your hands would be busy anyway. Wouldn’ it make more sense to swim underwater with legs, maybe holding stuff?

In some situations a DM is stationed on shore or on a boat doing more of an overwatch function. In a pinch, they may need to go after a diver on the surface without having time to gear up. (At least that's the explanation. I can get fins on pretty quickly and I think the time lost would be made up pretty quickly....)

In some situations a DM is stationed on shore or on a boat doing more of an overwatch function. In a pinch, they may need to go after a diver on the surface without having time to gear up. (At least that's the explanation. I can get fins on pretty quickly and I think the time lost would be made up pretty quickly....)
I guess that explains it. Really a dm should be able to both. Still, I think any time lost putting on fins would be gained back on the swim and certainly put the dm in a stronger position during rescue. When I swim without fins I feel like my legs are little sticks... like a fish with fin rot, I feel weak and compromised. Controlling a panicky diver without fins sounds dangerous. But I’m not a dm!

If your going to succeed at your 400, just swim more. One method that may help, break that 400 into 8 x 50's. Swim down, turn, swim back. Rest say 15 secs, off you go again. When this is easy, cut back on your rest time. Concentrate on your stroke, relax but feel the power pushing the water with your hands, wrist, forearm. Ask a decent swimmer to watch and help you out a bit. Just off the top of my head, I would do this freestyle with a 2-beat kick.

Point your toes a bit, try and feel your feet breaking the surface of the water. That would tell you your legs/hips are up and you have a good streamline. Why are thin high-school girls so fast? Perfect streamline, water is about 750 times as dense as air. And I think your resistance goes up as the cube of the velocity. Don't let your hips sink. Your chest is full of air and very buoyant. Think pressing it down into the water as you swim, your body is like a teeter totter, pressing your chest helps keep your hips up. Look at the bottom of the pool or 10-20 deg ahead as you swim.

Exhale with your face in the water, when you turn to breath just inhale, you've already exhaled with your face in the water. Holding your breath leads to elevated CO2 in your blood, and semi-panicked breathing. You want to R E L A X. So slowly exhale while your face is in the water.

The average swimmer I see at the pool is pressing water DOWN for half their arm stroke. Your want to push water BACK.

YouTube can help, people are better, but if not maybe here:

Or search "effortless swimming" on YouTube. Hope this helps.

One more point about taking time to put on fins: if you already have booties on swimming without fins is WAY WORSE than swimming barefoot. Try it and see. Swimming with shoes on is dangerous, this is why sailors wear shoes they can kick off. But taking off booties would probably take as long as putting on fins, and reboarding or returning to shore barefoot while helping another diver might get your bare feet in trouble, so again it makes sense to me to put on fins.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom