Dive Master Training, Swim Test went back in class

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As others have said, swimming is so much about technique and so little about strength. Your body position in the water makes worlds of difference. Things like looking too far ahead vs down, head position while breathing, arms crossing your midline etc. all have a big impact on your efficiency. Videos can help but it's one of those things where you think you're doing it right, but seeing yourself on video or through the eyes of a coach will prove otherwise. Get a few lessons and keep practicing.
Agree on everything. Of course strength does count a lot too when you're trying to improve your time. Technique must be good, and then you have to get your muscles into "swimming" shape. I found that other exercises like running and stationary bike helped only a little when I trained for the test.

TMHeimer you are so right stationary bike riding and running helps a little. Nothing like getting in the pool and swimming.

I find it amazing how many people want to be dive professionals that either worry about or actually struggle with the prerequisites to become that dive professional.

-Z

I find it amazing how many people want to be dive professionals that either worry about or actually struggle with the prerequisites to become that dive professional.

-Z
A bit confusing. You're saying that anyone aspiring to be a dive pro should not worry about or struggle with any of the components? There are quite a few aspects of the DM course that are challenging to say the least. Prior to the change in 2010 there was all sorts of theory, much of which had little practical value (IMHO). Some of the inwater stuff as well. Getting skills to demo quality, based on a particular instructor's requirements. The stamina tests are something I've often posted about, years ago listing how I would "improve" them, making some aspects more practical for DMing. But the 400 timed swim test IS something to be worried about if you hadn't done any actual swimming since the HS swim team in 1970. Though you may have snorkeled and body surfed for the decades in between like me. I wasn't in "swimming" shape and my technique was now flawed.
Yes, I was worried, struggled, trained, and finally got a "3". Some aspects of the DM course were very practical IMO, and some weren't. But like all courses, everything has to be passed and completed. This can cause worry, even for someone like me who's been in & around water since a little kid.

Since the topic is really about the old dreaded Swim Test, I will add that I have yet to witness or hear about any dive pro jumping in the water without fins, swimming 200 yards and rescuing a diver by towing him/her back another 200 yards. If that situation happened when I'm there, my approach may be to call 911 and ask around for fins if I didn't have mine.

I had the hardest time with the 400m swim, I finished it but not in time so I got a 1. I did much better on the rest of the tests. Pro(in training)tip, have your lead on your waist whilst doing the gear exchange. I had my weights in my bcd and you all can guess what happened when I took the bc off.
My buddy and I handled it including never heading to the surface, but because of the issues, I got a 3 on that skill. Best of luck to you.

I had the hardest time with the 400m swim, I finished it but not in time so I got a 1. I did much better on the rest of the tests. Pro(in training)tip, have your lead on your waist whilst doing the gear exchange. I had my weights in my bcd and you all can guess what happened when I took the bc off.
My buddy and I handled it including never heading to the surface, but because of the issues, I got a 3 on that skill. Best of luck to you.

Another tip is to start with wearing eachother's gear, that way as you do the switch you end up wearing your own gear that fits you properly/comfortably..

-Z

The best tip for equipment exchange is to balance the weight on your waist belt and in yoru gear, so that neither you nor your gear float away during the exchange.

I expect nothing more than a 5 from my DM Candidates for Equipment exchange and the tread water, because both are really easy. Getting 5's on these two also allows for them to get lower scores on the 3 swim tests whilst still making the grade

A bit confusing. You're saying that anyone aspiring to be a dive pro should not worry about or struggle with any of the components? There are quite a few aspects of the DM course that are challenging to say the least.

I disagree with this, and agree that if you're an aspiring Dive Pro you should get off your backside before the course and get some work and practice in before hand.

I say this as someone who hates swimming and is lazy and not a water baby. I took my DM as a 50yr old and not a water baby and despised even snorkeling. I had to "man up before the course and put some effort in to get to the required standards. Not 5's but more than the minimums.

The exception is the stress test which is "impossible" to practice before hand, but I get my DM's to do it a number of times, and each time we'll add more "distractions" I want them to easily complete the test and the "distractions" to be little more than an annoyance. After all its to test the candidate ability to deal with an abnormal event underwater calmly and without flapping.

I hope that my DM candidates pass the 4 other swim tests first time, so we can use their course time more effectively teaching new skills.

On my courses, none of the other modules are simply completed as soon as they reach he minimum standard. For instance, Dive briefs, Guiding, search and recovery etc, are all completed many times by the candidate as I want them to be comfortable and at ease guiding, helping and briefing guests. We'll often "drop" a mask overboard and get the DM's to recover it because practice make perfect.

I want my DM's to learn something during the course and be challenged rather than think of it as an attendance course - pass each test once and move on.

Since the topic is really about the old dreaded Swim Test, I will add that I have yet to witness or hear about any dive pro jumping in the water without fins, swimming 200 yards and rescuing a diver by towing him/her back another 200 yards.

From my perspective, I agree. I dive off boats, so I'm going to use the boat to get to the "victim" but some people shore dive and supervise from the shore, in which case the tests are more applicable. But I do view them as a stamina test, where the candidate has to "dig deep" to complete in the given time. In real life they might well be in a situation where they actually need to "find something extra"

I try to turn out actual DM's rather than simply card carriers, it's not a cheap course so I want my candidate to come away with the feeling of achievement rather than it being a "walk in the park"

Diving D-- I agree with all you say. The reason I struggled so much with the 400 was that I figured it may be a piece of cake since 40 years prior I was on the HS swim team. So I didn't train, which was a mistake. I also didn't train because the only pool was a 160 km. round trip for me and Canadian gas prices. After failing the 400, I managed to do laps once weekly for 5-6 months at that pool and managed a "3" on the 400. A closer pool probably would have meant at 4? P.S. I know gas prices are probably way higher where you are....
I got a 5 on the equipment exchange (well, I guess, as it went flawlessly, but it wasn't part of the stamina tests back in 2009). The key was starting with each other's equipment. We all used soft lead belts, so intergrated weights was no issue. Of course it didn't hurt that Eric and I were about the same size. I did the exchange later in helping with another DM class and it wasn't as quick and smooth as my partner was a very small woman. So, things on these tests are not always equal for everyone. Another example may be the 100 meter tow, which would take considerably longer in a 12 meter long pool with all the turns than if done in an Olympic pool or in calm open water with no turns.

About the "easy" tread water. A topic frequently discussed here. How easy it is IMO depends on two things. Firstly, how buoyant your body is. I couldn't have done the final 2 minutes hands out if I had been 20 years old. My wife can float almost motionlessly, VERTICALLY, in fresh water. I can barely float on back without sculling in salt water (which I learned to do in the ocean age 7). I got my "5" on my second float try, as I found out about drownproofing (that's the second thing). THAT was easy--not really much "stamina" involved, like for those who float like a cork. So, easy is a relative term.

I agree with you as well about the tests being "stamina" tests in that there may be situations a dive pro has to "dig deep" as you say, though the situation at the time may have nothing to do with swimming or any of the 4 tests. I've mentioned too many times that somewhere buried in Going Pro I listed a few ways I'd make the tests more relevant to divemastering--some even a bit harder, some just changed somewhat.

My point back there to Zef wasn't that people should willy nilly sign up for the DM course knowing they are not prepared physically (or even mentally). My point was that I would think, and have read here of many many DMCs struggling with this stamina test or that one, even at times some of the other components. I found it difficult to do a decent site mapping by myself where we lived-- no one I knew would make the trip to help out. That's just one example of struggling with one thing. I would like to hear from anyone who signed up for the DM course and had absolutely no worries or struggles with any part of it.
I think the thing I was most "worried" about was the equipment exchange--because it was an unknown, involved no instruction, was something you couldn't study for, and it could come at any time with 5 minutes notice (it did). No one else was worried about that? Ironically, that was the easiest thing for me in the whole course.

Thanks for the tips I need to slow down I try to go to fast. But I do hit the main safety points
Some people benefit by practicing the brief in front of the mirror. Just remember to say each word and pause at the end of each sentence. Repeat this exercise 20-40 times and when you are doing this for real, you will have great confidence and will execute well. Good luck!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom