Dive Master mock physics Exams

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cerveza

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Hi there folks heres my first proper post (other than my hello of course) next week i will be sitting my exams for DM and i dont mind admitting that during my swotting i have been struggling a little with the physics side of things, I have done as required in the knowledge workbook using the Encyclopedia of recreational diving as refferance. However i dont feel as though there were enough physics questions to answer to make me comfortable with the future exams, Do any of you folks know of a website where these kind of questions are laid out in a mock exam kind of thing where i can study further, any help would be appreciated, thanks

No. I looked for the selfsame and found nothing. Really re-reading the encyclopedia section several times helps.

From the sticky at the top of the forum:

"This is the one that most people sweat about and for most it is the hardest test. Read chapter 4 in the Encyclopedia and then complete section 1 in the Workbook. Understand the gas laws and know how to use the formulas. When you have a question that starts at one depth and asks you to solve for another depth, always take it to the surface, then back down. Make notes for yourself, defining the gas laws and formulas in the simplest terms you understand so you can quickly review your notes right before the exam."

Remember, you're taking a course so your Instructor should be available to you. Request a class session on physics to go over everything and work on sample problems.

Good Luck!

One hint that helped me on the sorts of problems that basically say "A container has 4 liters of air at 99 feet, how many liters does it have in 33 feet?" was this:

Depth where you're at (in ATA) divided by the depth where you're going (in ATA) then multiply that number by the given volume.

The sample problem above would be:
4ATA/ 2ATA = 2 then 2 x 4 liters = 8 liters

Good luck!
Ber :lilbunny:

Check this out...
Diving Myths & Realities by Larry "Harris" Taylor

Lots of good info, and lots of physics info and practice problems.

Also, I disagree with Ber, If there is a problem that asks about going from one depth to another, take it to the surface first, then take it back down. Also double check your answers with common sense...if something is deeper, it should compress/if something goes shallower, it should expand.

That said, do what works for you.

Tom

If there is a problem that asks about going from one depth to another, take it to the surface first, then take it back down.

This very advice helped me pass my exams just a few weeks ago. read over the encyclopedia again, but its not a killer exam - I'm sure you'll do great!

Don't psyche yourself out...I did and ended up aceing the Physics...in my opinion the sample questions in the workbook were harder than the ones on the exam.

Cheers.

-J.-

Honestly you should be fine if you've done the workbook problems. First, I read the encyclopedia, then I worked through the problems in the workbook (with my instructor because I was having issues). When it came to the test, I actually ended up with 20/20 which is pretty impressive considering how much I felt I didn't know how to do it. Don't sweat. I'm sure you'll be fine.

Physics for Divers: A Manual for the Technically Inclined
transparent.gif

By Captain Fred Calhoun, PE

Thanks for the replies folks, special thanks go to Jim Baldwin for a pm he sent me with a few equations on and some moral boosting tips.. would also like to add a big thankyou to b1gcountry for the killer link, some great info on there and plenty of examples and info to work with..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom