Dive Master Certification

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Christi:
First of all, whether taking the DM course here is "an utter and complete waste of money" is relative and is up to the individual DM candidate to decide for themselves based on their objectives of taking the course. I do agree that taking the couse in the environment where you plan to work has its advantages.

I have been working on my DM since June of this year. My Instructor is a MI and I had to switch to another MI because he got a new job and couldn't spend as much time diving as before. The new DM is a lot more expensive than my old friend is. I have to pay $120 a weekend every weekend and I simply can't afford that. I am going back I think to my old MI to help him increase his classes and income. He pays for my air and entrance fees which is what is killing me.
The point to all of this was I would consider going and doing Chrisities program after I had spent the next several months continuing my training here. After I have had all the time doing all the work up here, then I would come down and finish up with her. I am going for an instructor eventually and it would be more like practice for instructor to do it that way. I can't seem to get anyone to finish my classes off up here due to their own personal time constraits.
It wopuld be good as a "finishing school". I do beleive that.
How much does it cost, BTW?

Bridget

beachdivequeenbelam:
Christi:
First of all, whether taking the DM course here is "an utter and complete waste of money" is relative and is up to the individual DM candidate to decide for themselves based on their objectives of taking the course. I do agree that taking the couse in the environment where you plan to work has its advantages.

I have been working on my DM since June of this year. My Instructor is a MI and I had to switch to another MI because he got a new job and couldn't spend as much time diving as before. The new DM is a lot more expensive than my old friend is. I have to pay $120 a weekend every weekend and I simply can't afford that. I am going back I think to my old MI to help him increase his classes and income. He pays for my air and entrance fees which is what is killing me.
The point to all of this was I would consider going and doing Chrisities program after I had spent the next several months continuing my training here. After I have had all the time doing all the work up here, then I would come down and finish up with her. I am going for an instructor eventually and it would be more like practice for instructor to do it that way. I can't seem to get anyone to finish my classes off up here due to their own personal time constraits.
It wopuld be good as a "finishing school". I do beleive that.
How much does it cost, BTW?

Bridget

I've been quoted $375 for the entire course...regardless of length, regardless of how many courses I tag along with to increase my skill level.

Your charge of $120 each weekend may include many things my $375 won't be buying.

scubasean:
I've been quoted $375 for the entire course...regardless of length, regardless of how many courses I tag along with to increase my skill level.

Your charge of $120 each weekend may include many things my $375 won't be buying.

$375 is very, very low! I charge more for full Open Water course.

While the DM course is alot of work for the student, keep in mind that it is also a big time committment for the instructor as well. I've never seen a DM course for less than $600.

I'm curious what you are getting for that $375. I assume you had to buy your own books.

$400.00 is the going rate, plus books here in Iowa. Then each year you have to renew your membership & carry liability insurance if you want to work. In addition to that I'd reccomend Dan's best insurance plan. If you don't want to pay all the yearly fees, maybe you should look at Master Scuba Diver. I wouldn't want to be on a boat with a 7 day wonder for a Dive Master. Everyone pretty much covered everything, I just had to put my $.02 in. Like others, you would have to dive with us for at least a few months before even getting considered for the class. My internship took almost a year to complete. I know thats excessive. I could of gone through a little quicker, but I wanted all the experience I could get. And the shop was happy for my free labor.

Christi:

While the DM course is alot of work for the student, keep in mind that it is also a big time committment for the instructor as well. I've never seen a DM course for less than $600.

I'm curious what you are getting for that $375. I assume you had to buy your own books.

Actually, around $400 is common in California.

I did buy my own books...Are the books included for your $600?

What else do you get/provide for the $600 that is exclusive to teaching the DM outside of an OW/advanced class? You may be going substantially beyond the requirements, which is what I might call OJT and should perhaps be part of the "after DM" training.

Christi:

You are operating in a resort area, after all. I've never investigated DM course pricing, but OW cert classes are a bit cheaper out here in the hinterlands.

Cheers,

I believe that I paid around $500.00 for the course, plus books.

On the other hand, once I became licensed, I started receiving the perks, i.e., gear discounts, no charge fills, access to staff only trips, etc... Overall, the course paid for itself in the first year.

If I recall correctly, my divemaster class cost about $850 after I got the instructor manual and some other books.

TT :wink:

ggunn:
You are operating in a resort area, after all. I've never investigated DM course pricing, but OW cert classes are a bit cheaper out here in the hinterlands.

Cheers,

Some shops are alot more expensive than I am for the DM course. My price is higher than $600, I was just commenting that it was the lowest I had seen.

Keep in mind that all of my instruction is totally private/semi-private for families friends taking the course together. OW courses in your local dive shop are not private.

My price for OW also includes everything needed (equipment, PIC, books, marine park fees). I also include two boat dives for the last two OW dives.

For DM, they also get one-on-one instruction, and boat diving almost daily for 3 to 4 weeks during the course. Books are not included and of course as a DM candidate, they are required to have their own gear. As someone else mentioned above, Aqua Safari charges $850 for the DM course. I know of another shop that charges$950. My rate is considerably lower than that and is in line with most shops on the island.

Christi:
Some shops are alot more expensive than I am for the DM course. My price is higher than $600, I was just commenting that it was the lowest I had seen.

Keep in mind that all of my instruction is totally private/semi-private for families friends taking the course together. OW courses in your local dive shop are not private.

My price for OW also includes everything needed (equipment, PIC, books, marine park fees). I also include two boat dives for the last two OW dives.

For DM, they also get one-on-one instruction, and boat diving almost daily for 3 to 4 weeks during the course. Books are not included and of course as a DM candidate, they are required to have their own gear. As someone else mentioned above, Aqua Safari charges $850 for the DM course. I know of another shop that charges$950. My rate is considerably lower than that and is in line with most shops on the island.

So, your students are basically paying for the boat diving, which isn't a part of the $375 course I inquired about.

Your price is probably good, if someone wants the boat diving...I presume they aren't working the boat, since they are "boat diving"...

Sean

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom