Dive Master Candidate Journal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubaguy62:
jviehe, please don't take this the wrong way, but as from another DMC, like you.

What happens when you have a student who can't afford a computer, what are we going to teach them then? Yes, computers might not fail that often, but even then, they will still fail, and moreover, more so than an analog gauge can, or will.

Tables should, and will end up staying for a long time, and a student that doesn't know the tables will not know what to do when their computer (if they can afford it) fails at 60 fsw without a timer . I believe it's better, as a DMC, that we enforce the concept of not using the computer as a crutch, but to use them as a back up to the tables. Just my 2 psi

Well, we just disagree. I think computers are a way to maximize fun while still maintaining safety, so I would have no problem reccomending computers as a primary planning method with tables as a backup.

Now to avoid getting further sidetracked, heres pics from the weekends dives.

http://northfloridadiver.net/media/pc804.htm

There is nothing wrong with disagreeing; it's why we're individuals. I do agree with you that this subject belongs on a thread though, and not here. We're professionals and should always remember that, especially when we disagree.

Good luck on your training. Hope you get to finish soon!

so I would have no problem reccomending computers as a primary planning method with tables as a backup.

I don't see anything wrong with this except for:

I think if I ever teach, Ill teach tables and then put heavy emphasis on using a computer

If you're going to put heavy emphasis on using a computer, then when are your students going to become confident and competent with the tables? Since they will be using these in a time of stress (failed computer) they need to be intimately familiar with tables on the fly.

Anyone can use a computer, heavy emphasis needs to be put on the contingency (tables, in your case) as they will be using these when they matter most.

Waterbabie:
It's kinda like pilots and their instruments...(correct me if I'm wrong Rick)
Or radios, or engines...Yep, I still remember when I lost comm shortly after take off, having just penetrated the clouds...not sure of my exact position ('cause I also lost my navigation instruments), nor could I talk to anyone. All I could do was to keep the airplane level and improvise until able to make a safe landing.

Waterbabie:
I'm pretty sure that understanding how to keep groups of divers together does qualify as DM training material...

As far as the computers go, I've had mine fail on me twice and I was glad that I had planned the dive out before hand with the tables. Computers are great, wonderful tools, but as a GOOD DM, you should understand where/how they can fail and how to complete a dive if they do fail. It's kinda like pilots and their instruments...(correct me if I'm wrong Rick)

... A plane can fly itself, but what if the computer breaks? A pilot must know how to operate the plane manually.

The point is, there is a place for the wheel, tables and computers. Professionals need to know and understand the tools they use.

I agree with you! It is similar to learning Math. People need to learn how to add, subtract, multiply and divide before they should learn how to use calculators.

dive4funOften:
I agree with you! It is similar to learning Math. People need to learn how to add, subtract, multiply and divide before they should learn how to use calculators.

Oh now I can celebrate~!

Well, finally finished the main book review, and still waiting on my encyclopedia to do the Dive Theory stuff. Also, still need to get in the pool.

Meanwhile, I and another DM candidate assisted an instructor with a OW class. Saturday we went to a spring and did 2 dives and most of the skills. Some of students had ear troubles, and many had bad finning skills, but this is typical of new divers, and just something I take for granted. Its good to have it reinforced that these arent experienced divers. We also had a scuba review candidate along and a diver who had dove for a long time but never gotten certified. He kept wanting to wander off, so had to keep telling him to come back. No danger, just have to reign him in. Also had 2 junior scuba divers along who at times were better than the adults. Confidence of the youth, eh? We had too many people in the class, so the instructor split it into 2 groups, and we were to have the next group ready when the first group was done, then sit out with the other group in the meantime. Everything went well.

Sunday we went to the beach again, where visibility wastn as good, so this would be trickier. I would bring up the rear with the dive flag, and since vis wasnt so great I hoped the students were keeping up with the group. Many times I would have to signal them to move back towards the dive path as they seemed to go to tunnel vision on the fins in front of them and just go the wrong way. Also had to make some split decisions when one had ear trouble and ascneded. I had to lose the group in order to make sure they were ok, but we caught back up. Everyone lived and we had a good experience. I got some of my own fun diving in as well.

Pics later...

Great reports. Keep up the good work. I'm glad to see that everyone lived... ;-)

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom