Dive Master Candidate Journal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Waterbabie:
Very interesting. I am enjoying reading all about your adventures. It's great to get a different perspective. One thing I've noticed recently is that a lot of divers here in Florida (I'm a recent transplant) aren't as aware of their buddies. I think that's a big challenge for new DMs. It's great that you are learning to recognize what a challenge becoming a DM actually is. It's much more than diving. You seem to be on a good start to becoming a professional.

Not only buddies but professionals! I am surprised at what little regard people have for others underwater! I guess like eveything else it is just BIGGER underwater! I just recently had the displeasure of divng with someone that could have cared less who was in the water. They just did not feel it was their responsibility!

Lets not get off topic here. PLease keep it divemaster training related.

So, I learned to use the PADI Wheel last night. Quite a complex device, but it does allow for multi level diving. I think if I ever teach, Ill teach tables and then put heavy emphasis on using a computer. Tables need to go away eventually. I understand why a DM needs to know how to use them all though. Otherwise, Im working on the book, doing knowledge reviews. Ill probably hit the dive shop today and see what the instructor wants to do next.

Week 2

This weekend I went out with an AOW class as part of my DM training. We went to a local sinkhole (Cherokee) on saturday, and it was not much fun, though quite an experience. I now know that quarry divers are indeed crazy. Viz was near 0 in some parts, but mostly 10 or less. Surface temp was 90, so i wore a shorty, which was a mistake again, becuase the bottom dropped to 70F. Brrrr. We had 2 students along with us today, and I was tasked with leading the initial tour, during which I did a por job. I had my HID, but even that didnt help. I ended up going in circles with my face 2 inches from the dirt. Trees would come out of nowwhere and one time I nose dived into the bottom. Eventually the instructor took over and brought some sanity, and I learned a valuable lesson about the use of a compass. We had the students practice buyoancy and then measure kick cycles and navigate a square. Not the best dive site, but it got the kob done. Ive seen better viz there, but the local swimmers probaly dont help.

Day 2

Off to panama city jetties, we timed it to hit high tide, and I was hoping for better viz than the last trip. We also had a german diver along for this trip who was here on business. He would just be diving for fun and taking part in some of the excercises. Upon arrival we were told there were jellyfish in the area, which I loathe. That and wisening up to the chill, I chose to wear the full wetsuit this time. After being reminded to lay my tank down again (padi standards, sheesh), I hopped into water first to wait for the students. Once we were all ready we swam over the rock wall and were greeted by no current, 20ft viz, and many jellies, stinging nettles, moon jellies, and comb jellies. We headed down the rocks to the deepest part and had the students do some motor functions to see how well they worked under a bit of narcosis, then continued to the end of the jetties. Viz was the best Ive seen and the dive was great. We saw some stone crabs, arrow crabs, and the usual tropicals, snappers, groupers, etc. After an SI, we went back down to do some fish ID, during which time my instructor ran into a jelly and got a sting. That ended the dive.

After a bit of lunch, we headed back in, with me carryign a cinder block for the search and rescue portion of the class. Current was roaring now, and we attempted to go back over the wall, but current and low viz, plus one of the studetns getting stung, made us head back into the lagoon for training. Viz was pretty low there too, which made for a good search conditions. The students did a U pattern to find the block, then attached a lift bag and brought it up. After a bit of this, we were done and headed back to town. For DM training, this is a lot easier than OW classes.

I should have pics later today.

jviehe:
So, I learned to use the PADI Wheel last night. Quite a complex device, but it does allow for multi level diving. I think if I ever teach, Ill teach tables and then put heavy emphasis on using a computer. Tables need to go away eventually.

I have to disagree with you on this. I think tables need to always be used. with or with out a computer. My wife and I both dive with computers, but we always work through the wheel and write the profile down on our dive slate before the dive. This allows us a margin of safety if the computer(s) fail for any reason, not only can we continue diving the tables profile, but we know what the ndl's are for the multilevel dive.

The computer should always be the backup for the tables (wheel).

jviehe:
So, I learned to use the PADI Wheel last night. Quite a complex device, but it does allow for multi level diving. I think if I ever teach, Ill teach tables and then put heavy emphasis on using a computer. Tables need to go away eventually. I understand why a DM needs to know how to use them all though. Otherwise, Im working on the book, doing knowledge reviews. Ill probably hit the dive shop today and see what the instructor wants to do next.

Tables should stay around. Computers can and do die underwater. Had 1 die on me in 70fsw in St.Croix. Went to the backup computer called my brain. Didn't have to abort the remainder of the day since I did know what I could safely dive.

Well, thats a discussion for another thread. In regards to DM training, I would think its safe to teach students to use computers because in reality they do not fail that often.

jviehe, please don't take this the wrong way, but as from another DMC, like you.

What happens when you have a student who can't afford a computer, what are we going to teach them then? Yes, computers might not fail that often, but even then, they will still fail, and moreover, more so than an analog gauge can, or will.

Tables should, and will end up staying for a long time, and a student that doesn't know the tables will not know what to do when their computer (if they can afford it) fails at 60 fsw without a timer . I believe it's better, as a DMC, that we enforce the concept of not using the computer as a crutch, but to use them as a back up to the tables. Just my 2 psi

jviehe:

Keep the tables, chuck the wheel. There's nothing you can do with the wheel that you can't do with the tables.

jviehe:
Lets not get off topic here. PLease keep it divemaster training related.

I'm pretty sure that understanding how to keep groups of divers together does qualify as DM training material...

As far as the computers go, I've had mine fail on me twice and I was glad that I had planned the dive out before hand with the tables. Computers are great, wonderful tools, but as a GOOD DM, you should understand where/how they can fail and how to complete a dive if they do fail. It's kinda like pilots and their instruments...(correct me if I'm wrong Rick)

... A plane can fly itself, but what if the computer breaks? A pilot must know how to operate the plane manually.

The point is, there is a place for the wheel, tables and computers. Professionals need to know and understand the tools they use.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom