Dive Log Suggestions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wi-fi synch Dive Log on my iPhone with Diving Log 6.0 on my PC. You can synch in either direction (iPhone to PC or PC to iPhone). You can also synch your iPhone Dive Log with iCloud = super easy.

I use Android. Diving Log 6.0 does sync with Diving Log for Android, but it is extremely clunky, especially when compared to Subsurface.

I use Android. Diving Log 6.0 does sync with Diving Log for Android, but it is extremely clunky, especially when compared to Subsurface.
Agreed - I tried Diving Log on my Android tablet and did not like it. The iOS app (Dive Log) is much better in my opinion.

Subsurface (Subsurface | An open source divelog) is a free download and you can manually log dives. It also supports various dive computer brands for when you do purchase a computer.

Thank you, I appreciate your response! I will look this up. Electronic data has always been easier for me to keep up with. Eventually I do plan on owning a computer so it’s great that it supports them.

I’d guess that most of the electronic log books allow manual entry. If you choose to go to paperless, choose software that supports a variety of dive computers so you aren’t stuck if you change brands. Mac-Dive(if you have a Mac), Dive Log, and Subsurface are good options.

Thank you for the suggestions!

I did a search for log books online and could only find ones that required a computer. I do not think I looked hard enough though. I see that a few people suggested the same apps that you did. I am not sure why I could not find either of them when I did my search. I am going to look each of them up and see which suits me best. I will need to enter manually until I purchase a computer.

I like diving log 6.0 you can manually add dives then when you get a computer later on it is probably supported in the program.

Thanks! I will look this up. I couldn’t find anything when I searched online so I figured I would ask on this forum!

Dive Log is great and gets updated frequently. Works with many popular dive computers and also allows you to export in the DAN 7 standard format. Highly recommend.

‎Dive Log

Does it allow manual entry? I plan on purchasing a computer at some point but right now I will be entering manually. I know some places rent computers but it’s better to have your own so I’m going to save up for one.

I second Subsurface. There is no dive computer required, but when you do get one, it will work with almost anything on the market (some more seamlessly than others). It's 100% free, and the desktop and mobile versions work seamlessly together.

I've also used Diving Log 6.0 in the past, but don't like having to rely on Dropbox to sync between mobile and desktop, although it does present a more polished appearance than Subsurface.

Certainly worth trying each of them and seeing which suits you better.

Thank you for the info on each of them. I honestly want whatever is easiest and provides an easy format. I am going to try both of these and see which fits better!

It appears that a lot of people like subsurface. I have an iPhone so hopefully I can use it.

It appears that a lot of people like subsurface. I have an iPhone so hopefully I can use it.
Yes, Subsurface has Android and iOS mobile versions with a subset of the Windows/Mac/Linux version’s features, notably missing the dive planner, which you probably won’t need. It can also be set up to sync the dive log between all your devices which I find useful for viewing or analyzing dives on a bigger screen.

The mobile version can also connect to your dive computer via Bluetooth to download logs.

I use and really like divemate, but apparently they have discontinued ios support (never had an iphone, but might be getting one next). Might have to look into some if I switch. Subsurface seems common.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom