dive lights????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

windtech

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
OK i am trying to figure out what dive light to buy. hand held or a canister light?
i am not worried about the price. I'm just trying to figure out whats the all around best light to get. this light is going to get used and used for a lot of dives. so i need something that is going to last and not need a lot of parts to fix or not going to die the first time i use it.

as we all know you sometimes dont get the best for what you pay for. there might be a light for 10 bucks that out does a 1500 dollar light.

also what is the reason that you bought what you have.

What direction do you see your diving heading in? If you're interested in tech diving, I'd suggest starting with a handheld light that you can later use as a backup light. This means something like an LED Halcyon Scout or Mini-Scout, Photon Torpedo, etc. These make pretty good primaries for recreational diving, and then if you buy a cannister light later, you can use them as backup lights (until LEDs dominate cannister light technologies, they're still a bit finicky, so even if you're not in a critical situation where you need two backups, you'll want at least one).

Another benefit of that style of design is that they mount nicely on your harness for when you aren't using them.

I would look into either a Halcyon or Light Monkey 21 watt HID, You can get 4-5 hours of burn time. The light work great for signaling and are Focusable, also are tough enough to cut through murky waters. Both are terrific companies who will support there product. If for some reason you ever have an issue you speak to a live person and they take care of the problem ASAP.

I would look into either a Halcyon or Light Monkey 21 watt HID, You can get 4-5 hours of burn time. The light work great for signaling and are Focusable, also are tough enough to cut through murky waters. Both are terrific companies who will support there product. If for some reason you ever have an issue you speak to a live person and they take care of the problem ASAP.

+1 what ashady22 said!

Halcyon and Light Monkey are for sure good lights (used them a lot) , but not the best anymore.
Times changes, our dives (conditions, limits) even quicker so have to the lights we use! The LED lights from L4M has comparable performance (or better) plus a lot of other advantages coming from using high quality (expensive for a manufacturer) LED and not HID bulbs.

If it comes to customer service, in most cases if there is a problem with their light they send you demo unit for you to use until yours come back fully usable. Is there something better ?!

Halcyon and Light Monkey are for sure good lights (used them a lot) , but not the best anymore.

I would think thats a matter of opinon. Personally I have only seen your lights in Pic's and video they do look bright and nice and a good price point. But honestly not enough there for me to buy. I prefer the HID over LED a big reason is HID is focusable so can be used for a varity os situations LED are not well some are "MBSUB" but not to the degree of HID also the ones I seen were not able to sgnal as far or cut through the waters as well as the HID's. Color for me doesnt matter much but I know a lot of users like the more natural color of HID's to LED.

Another big point is both companies are right here in the USA, and have a customer service thats beyond awesome. If anyone has had an issue I am sure can attest to this. I get what your saying they will send you a loaner but quite frankly thats all talk at this point as I know of no one who got to that point. And being over sea's there may delay's and you could hear hundreds of excuses. You have to wait ttll you light arrives there, they're ll out etc... Not saying that this company would do that Just a lot of big questions.

... I seen were not able to sgnal as far or cut through the waters as well as the HID's
here is the movie, at the end of it (exact 5min and 55th sec in) the HID 21 Watt Halcyon and LED light 4TEC are compared in almost milky water (about 6ft of vis) in my opinion LED light goes further through and puts definitely stronger beam. Link: YouTube - 4TEC LED - Light For Me vs. 21Watt Halcyon HID enjoy !

Another big point is both companies are right here in the USA, and have a customer service thats beyond awesome. If anyone has had an issue I am sure can attest to this
Tec Dive Gear provides service (local) in US and Canada. No hassles and shipping overseas (well there might be some extreme cases but you still get the temporary light to use so, still diving).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom