dive lights????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I do not think I would ever buy an HID light ever again. LED all the way. There are excellent LED lights on the market these days some with triple or quadruple 5 watt LED. I use a 3 watt LED as a day torch and back up and a 5 watt LED for night diving. However I dive in the tropics where I do not think you need a massive 'floodlight' type light. I find these lights intrusive, they startle and wake up sleeping marine life. Have a look at the Aquatec LED torches, all less then US$100. IST also do a decent rechargable light with triple 5watt LEDs for about US$200. LEDs have a much longer burn time and are in the long run way cheaper than any other type of light on the market.

Everyone who needs a light should check out patco inc. All the advantages of a canister, without the cycle restrictions or cost. We do commercial diving in black water, cycle our lights hundreds of times per month, we light the world! Downside is a heavy battery which is really not a downside since it replaces diveweights...unless you want to put it in luggage. Really bright and precise lights for photo work or anything!

I did have many lights. But I had always some problems with them. On this moment I use a Tilly Tec and I am very happy with is. Take a look by Tilly Tec:blinking:

I like Halcyons E/O system.
When LED technology surpasses HID, I will unplug my HID head, and plug in a LED.
If I travel I use the smaller 10 watt head with a 4.5a/h canister.
If I want big power for a murky wreck in cold water then 21watt on 13.5ah canister
Both heads fit on either canister.
Massive burn time 10watt on the 13.5 a/h
I have not tried their Eos LED system yet, but I will soon.
Very flexible.

I have used and owned many Dive lights over the years.
I am not a Tech diver and use my Dive Lights mainly for Night Diving or Deep diving in cool (12-22 deg C) murky water down to around 40m deep.

I am currently using a 5000 Lumen 24 Watt LED METALSUB Handlamp XL13.2 and it's awesome.
They are manufactured in The Netherlands and are very robust and easy to charge (no opening of light, just clean and dry terminals and plug in the two charger connections... very easy).

My light has three power settings - full 100%, 75% & 50% plus SOS signal. I find I use the 50% setting the most as it's normally enough light and gives longer ~110min of light in cold water down to 12-14C. It is really good at penetrating dark murky water (As I recently found out diving the D'Entrecasteaux Channel South East of Hobart, Tasmania in January).
I find them very robust as I use it a lot on tough shore dives in remote locations. It handles being knocked around a bit (not intentionally but it happens on exits through surf/ swell on rocky coastlines). My old canister or HID light could simply not handle this type of environment!

Essentially Handheld but I attach via a strong lanyard and it works very well for me!

Anyone else used these lights? :cool2:

Regards,
Simon
Melbourne, Australia

I like Halcyons E/O system.
When LED technology surpasses HID, I will unplug my HID head, and plug in a LED.
If I travel I use the smaller 10 watt head with a 4.5a/h canister.
If I want big power for a murky wreck in cold water then 21watt on 13.5ah canister
Both heads fit on either canister.
Massive burn time 10watt on the 13.5 a/h
I have not tried their Eos LED system yet, but I will soon.
Very flexible.
Have you tried their EOS LED eventually?
Doing wreck/caves and about to splash on a lamp, EOS LED hig on my list, with potential contender the canister lamp from Big Blue...

As I am a dealer for both, for reliability between those two lights that you mentioned, I would go with the Halcyon EOS. We do a lot with the Big Blue small hand held lights and no issues, but don't see many of their can lights in the field and of the 3 that I have known about, all 3 have failed. With that said, the company has fixed them. I haven't had one EOS come back.

Back
Top Bottom